Page 5 of 95 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 94 95
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Starman
You can test the most devout christians faith
by asking them if they reach for Glock or begin
by praying to a God if they have a home invasion.

or give them choice of foxhole or concrete bunker
when it's raining proximity fuse artillery.

Heart attack - medical science paramedics..or just
call for much needed prayers from your church friends
cause it will fix everything...

Lots of dead church people, but how many actually faithfully living through Christ.
Talk and just keeping empty appearances is cheap.

People telling themselves they know they have made
the cut into a heaven.... hilarious.

I know there are lawyers who have never tried a case in a court of law in their entire. They make a living "Mitigating". If a lawyer does have to try a case in a court of law and question witnesses, does the witness still have to swear to "I swear by Almighty God [to tell] the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth." If so, how does a person questioning and a person answering in such a procedure place any credibility in the process if they hold nothing but contempt for the very oath that must be sworn in order to give or receive testimony in court. Have you ever objected to the Judge that you have no believe or hold no faith at all to the oath that must be sworn to testify, or are you yourself a hypocrite and just "play along"? I admit I have never been sworn to testify and do not personally know how everything is done in every court of law, just asking your great intellectual input into such matters.

GB4

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
As faith is a belief held without the support of evidence it is a position that needs constant reinforcement, church, fellowship, reading selected material, etc. So if someone questions the faith, they are a threat to the faith.
Originally Posted by antlers
Maybe to some. Absolutely not to all.
Originally Posted by DBT
Why not?
Some might require the reinforcement you mention. Absolutely ‘all’ don’t. Some might be threatened by questions. Absolutely ‘all’ are not.
Originally Posted by DBT
How can evidence that clearly supports natural evolution not be a threat to faith/special creation?
Some Jesus followers believe in Creation through evolution. To some, it doesn’t matter how things came about.
Originally Posted by DBT
Unless that evidence is dismissed or ignored. That is one way to maintain faith.
By some, maybe. Certainly not all.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by srwshooter
lets just take one thing from the bible

Noah and the ark. so this guy gathers up a pair of all the animals on earth and loads them on a giant ship(do you really know how big that ship had to be?)
it would have taken years to build it,years to figure out how to get all the animals there, so maybe he waited til the water started to rise and floated the world and all the animals were so scared they just jumped on the ship. yeah right.

to me its like a cartoon and half the world believes it.

biggest scam in the history of the world

I dunno, i saw a documentary on that a few years ago, it seemed very believable. Its called Evan Almighty... it took place real close to us too in NOVA.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by jaguartx
If the law of Conservation of Angular Momentum is real, how come 2 or 3 of the planets spin backwards?

Answer: They don't. If they did, that would not invalidate the conservation of angular momentum for the whole system.

8 of the 91 moons spin backwards?

They were captured asteroids and not created out or the same clouds as their planets.

If the Sun is 98% hydrogen and helium, why is less than 1 % the same on mercury, venus Mars and earth, the same?

Because hydrogen is a light gas and escapes from planets with less gravity. Same reason why Jupiter is largely hydrogen.

Why does the whole Galaxy spin backwards? To make the big bang theory ridiculous?

It doesn't.

Those who are ignorant of science should not try to draw conclusions from things they don't understand.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by nighthawk
And of course falsely uses "theory" as a synonym for "fact," a common ploy.
Like the ‘theory of gravity’ or the ‘theory of orbital mechanics’ or the ‘theory of nuclear fission’.
I suspect that some folks like to misrepresent the nature of theory in science in order to support their own faith.
Seems a pretty weak faith if one feels the need to intentionally misrepresent the nature of theory in science in order to support their faith.

As faith is a belief held without the support of evidence it is a position that needs constant reinforcement, church, fellowship, reading selected material, etc. So if someone questions the faith, they are a threat to the faith.

Nope, not so at all. Your comment is clearly referring to Faith as applied in Christianity. Yet you avoid the biblical definition of faith and discount then source of that faith.. all because you have not experienced it.

Hebrews 11:1..... “.... faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see....”

This biblical definition is clearly different from what you wrote.

And, no, you are not a threat to my faith.

Hebrew 11:1 supports what I said.

Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by nighthawk
And of course falsely uses "theory" as a synonym for "fact," a common ploy.
Like the ‘theory of gravity’ or the ‘theory of orbital mechanics’ or the ‘theory of nuclear fission’.
I suspect that some folks like to misrepresent the nature of theory in science in order to support their own faith.
Seems a pretty weak faith if one feels the need to intentionally misrepresent the nature of theory in science in order to support their faith.

Nope, not so at all. Your comment is clearly referring to Faith as applied in Christianity. Yet you avoid the biblical definition of faith and discount then source of that faith.. all because you have not experienced it.

Hebrews 11:1..... “.... faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see....”

This biblical definition is clearly different from what you wrote.

And, no, you are not a threat to my faith.

Hebrew 11:1 supports what I said.

Clearly not. Perhaps you cannot or choose not to see the difference.

I will be along again after a bit and show it again.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

IC B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
I believe that the rejection of basic Christian principles by more and more people is the root of a lot of our problems. 48% of millenials, in a recent poll, answered "none" when asked what their religion was. And Protestant denominations are losing members like crazy. Without a grounding in religion, any morals are simply relative--whatever feels good.

That said, taking the Bible absolutely literally is a mistake, IMHO. The four gospels were not even written down for decades after Jesus. And they were picked from among many other Gospels, with different narratives in part, by a group of ignorant (by our standards) priests selected by a booodthirsty emperor (Constantine) 300 years later.

I do not believe in talking snakes, breeding striped goats by making them watch striped sticks while copulating, and lots of other things. I suspect that some of Jesus's doings were inserted or exaggerated in the hundreds of years after his death.

But...arguing faith vs. science is a waste of time. "Never the twain shall meet." Each seeks truth in a different way.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don’t believe that science and trying to follow the teachings of Jesus are somehow mutually exclusive.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I thought you folks hashed this all out a few month back.

Big thread, many pages.

Can't remember who won.

It occurs every few months. Has for as long as I've been a member, and I'm pretty close to being a founding member here.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Only an idiot accepts the biblical explanations over science. It’s true that the people who wrote the Bible were inspired by God and provide the best explanations they had to explain the world. However, they lacked science and the scientific method to determine the truth. A ration explanation is that God used evolution as a tool to create and change life.

Evolution is a fact that explains how life changed and adapted to a changing environment. The sooner that accept this truth the sooner you will understand the world.

It's in the Bible: "And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth (which includes you and me), which the waters brought forth abundantly ..."

The Bible, in other words, equates 1) the waters (in response to God's command) bringing forth every living creature (Watch the first several installments of the series I provided installment number one for, above), and 2) God having created said creatures.

It wasn't direct creation. God assigned the task entirely to nature, which he commanded to accomplish, and it did so. All life originated in the waters, and evolved into all the flora and fauna the earth has ever known. There was no intelligent design (God didn't engineer each creature, nor any of them), which is quite obvious to anyone who studies biology, zoology, genetics, etc.. Nor does the Bible say that he did.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Without reading the good,,or bad, I believe God's wonderful Creation came about just the way He, wanted it to.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don’t believe that science and trying to follow the teachings of Jesus are somehow mutually exclusive.
Right

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Either the world is a special creation made by God, whatever that is, or the world and life evolved through natural processes. If one is true the other must be false. Both cannot be true.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Wow! My mind of preacher, lol.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_Hovind

Denied being a U.S. Citizen to evade taxes. Kids, don't try this at home.

@jameslavish

If you work 40 hrs/wk: at 5% inflation and after 5 years, you need a 28% pay raise or to work 44 more hours (*one full extra week* per month+) to make up the difference.

This is inflation
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Either the world is a special creation made by God, whatever that is, or the world and life evolved through natural processes. If one is true the other must be false. Both cannot be true.
Or the world and life evolved through natural processes set in motion by the Creator.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Or the world and life evolved through natural processes set in motion by the Creator.

As is described very clearly in Genesis, Chapter 1, reproduced by me above.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Noah and the ark. so this guy gathers up a pair of all the animals on earth and loads them on a giant ship(do you really know how big that ship had to be?)
it would have taken years to build it,years to figure out how to get all the animals there, so maybe he waited til the water started to rise and floated the world and all the animals were so scared they just jumped on the ship. yeah right.

Love the ark story...! Grins, biggest miracle is the fact the critters didn't eat each other, divine intervention I reckon... but really ....! The mosquito's.....! Did Noah have to bring the damn bugs.....! And why the fug didn't the bird's eat em when they had the chance?

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
This may take some time, popcorn.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Ejp1234

I dunno, i saw a documentary on that a few years ago, it seemed very believable. Its called Evan Almighty... it took place real close to us too in NOVA.

This......
Evan Almighty
Evan Almighty is a 2007 American fantasy disaster comedy film, and a stand-alone sequel and spin-off of Bruce Almighty.

Proof eh, you betcha

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Valsdad
I thought you folks hashed this all out a few month back.

Big thread, many pages.

Can't remember who won.

Yep, been beat to death several times over many pages. Nobody "won" then, and nobody is going to win now. You will either die and find out what actually happened, or you will just die. Me, I think I know what happened and I expect to have it confirmed.

Sad that many allow the theory of evolution to prevent them from believing in Jesus.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go

Sad that many allow the theory of evolution to prevent them from believing in Jesus.

Indeed.

Page 5 of 95 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 94 95

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 72 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,953
Posts18,480,406
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.