Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Fireballz, when your done make sure it looks like this!

Showoff grin ... Nice setup. One of these days I'll get my mess organized.

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Ballz,

It's obvious you didn't pray for this find. It appears to be more of a deal with the devil.

I could spend a 100 in gas & never find a deal like that in the shops around here. Never seen a shop that didn't break down & separate stuff to nickle & dime it to death.

Good score !

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Garage sales, esp those of recently divorced females. Their elated to get rid of the ex's crap that they will never use. Seems that the husband always takes his guns but forgets about a lot of the tools. Ran into one a few weeks back, she was moving and didn't want to move anything associated with him. Spent around $3,000. Best one I ever hit. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by gunzo
Ballz,

It's obvious you didn't pray for this find. It appears to be more of a deal with the devil.

I could spend a 100 in gas & never find a deal like that in the shops around here. Never seen a shop that didn't break down & separate stuff to nickle & dime it to death.

Good score !

Ballz must have a mean head game.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by gunzo
I could spend a 100 in gas & never find a deal like that in the shops around here.

Good score !

That's how I feel about it. I catch a used deal here and there, but it can be a time sink. I have my father's old mechanic tool set which is mostly Craftsman with a smattering of JH Williams, Snap-On, etc. Good tools, but the socket and wrench sets had a lot of gaps, so rather than futz around, I bought the Craftsman 540 pc Mechanic's tool set at Sears while they were still made in USA. Several years later I added new SK 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 socket sets and SK metric and SAE combo wrenches since Craftsman was starting to offshore their tools. There's enough redundancy that it's unlikely I have to run to the store in the middle of a job if something fails.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Clarkm

When I was a kid, the wrenches were the family jewels.
In 1955 my father got the Craftsman box and open end wrench set.
The whole neighborhood knew we had wrenches, a grinder, and 4" bench vise.

I met my wife in 1976 and she had bought all the tools she needed to replace an overhead camshaft.

In 1985 I started going to garage sales and asking, "Any tools or guns?"

I started buying wrenches like they were underpriced jewels.

Snap on, Bonney, S&K, ..... all the way to just marked: "CHINA". Hundreds of pounds of compulsive buying.

Nothing new, seen it all, until.....

[Linked Image from cdn.mscdirect.com]

Adjustable wrench from Channellock. My new go to wrench.

BIL works in the gravel business. He starts every day with a Snap-On screwdriver that has flathead on one side and phillips on the other and a Snap-On Adjustable wrench in his pocket. He's fixed hundreds of things over the years with just those 2 tools. That Snap-On "Flank Drive" adjustable wrench is one of the few things that its worth paying the money. Its 1000% tighter made than a cheapy.

Last edited by k20350; 06/16/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been trying to build a open end wrench set from the late '40s. It's slow going in pawn shops. I've had better luck at the fleamarket when it was allowed. Sockets and wrenches from the better Taiwanese manufacturers are easily as good as Snap-On from the '60s.. The subtle design improvements are noticeable. Current Snap-On are still better. Having said that I use tools from the "60s '70s and the '80s . Knowing your brands is the secret . We all know Craftsman but there were better quality brands.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (163bc, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 2,599 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,621
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.