Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 32 of 95 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 94 95
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by antlers
People are sure jumping ship and swimming away from religion at an attention getting rate nowadays. Christianity especially. But I don’t think it’s because atheism is so appealing. I think it’s more likely because religion has lost its appeal. People once thought religion offered solutions. Nowadays, it appears that many people see it as a problem. I can’t blame em’ for it. There’s sure a lotta hate spewed at em’ in the name of God. It clearly is unattractive to those who are on the receiving end of it. Grace is supposed to be a hallmark of the Christian faith...but it seems to very often be sorely lacking by many who profess to be Christians. The faith of Christianity is certainly more appealing when the message of grace is most apparent.

What’s this got to do with evolution...?
Not a flippin’ thing...!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

THIS.

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
GB4

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Tarquin
Originally Posted by Starman
Pagans seemed to get along just fine when
it came to personal choice of Gods.

The greeks, Romans. Gauls, and further east regions
Like Egypt, Persia, etc,.didn't squabble over their Gods.

You're missing the point: each of those societies/cultures/countries appealed to a diety or dieties and held a belief in an absolute moral code.

The moral code of Babylon differed to Sumer which differed to Judaism which was not the same as Greco Roman morality, which was not the same as ours. Similar principles, but not the same. Similarity does not make an absolute.

Similarity comes from existential conditions, death, property, family, friends, nation, state, tribe....

Each believed their God was the true God and from that belief they derived what they also believed was a non-relative standard of right and wrong by which they regulated their behavior. Exemplary are the immortal words of Lord McCauley "Then out spoke brave Horatius, the captain of the gate. To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better Than facing fearful odds, For the ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his Gods." The salient point is that true religion and morality (not the spurious kind that characterizes so much of Christianity today [Exhibit A being our own Mr. Texas Jaguar]) tends to result in beings who regulate their own behavior without need of external regulation from the state. They don't tend to steal (for example) not merely because they might get caught, but because it is wrong. A society of those kinds of people requires a far less intrusive government than their opposite. The Founders were explicit about this.

Tarquin
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Religion, especially the hope of a paradise waiting after death was a powerful thing to a slave population.

Until very recent times, even those people not in chains were enslaved by their environment. They spent most every waking moment tending their flocks, gathering herbs and roots, or hunting meat. As soon as they could walk at their Mother's side, they began helping in the gathering of food. Or the little ones took their dogs and tended flocks and chased away predators.

Religion and the thought of Heaven gave them hope of some reward after their unending suffering with labor, hunger, pestilence and early death.

Today, in developed nations, there is much less need for such. It is a natural progression, just as is the move toward smaller families.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
DBT, I can't help notice: you're very quick to attack anything theistic, but I've not once heard you speak out against the virulent racism that is so prevalent on this board. Not once. What's the problem, no testicles or are you in sympatico with the racists here?

Tarquin
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Religion, especially the hope of a paradise waiting after death was a powerful thing to a slave population.

Until very recent times, even those people not in chains were enslaved by their environment. They spent most every waking moment tending their flocks, gathering herbs and roots, or hunting meat. As soon as they could walk at their Mother's side, they began helping in the gathering of food. Or the little ones took their dogs and tended flocks and chased away predators.

Religion and the thought of Heaven gave them hope of some reward after their unending suffering with labor, hunger, pestilence and early death.

Today, in developed nations, there is much less need for such. It is a natural progression, just as is the move toward smaller families.

It is a function of enlightenment, but at the same time becoming enlightened seems also to mean becoming benighted. I mean, materialism, which is the default metaphysical belief of the cognoscenti today is so obviously self-refuting that one has to be willfully blind not to see it and how many of societies leading intellectuals are Marxists when marxism is such an obvious failure. So there is something more an work, a rebellion against God, or perhaps a hatred of the very possibility of the divine. I don't know. Just musing. As far as decreased family size, yes, that is a natural by-product of industrialization and the move away from agriculture which required larger families and of course technological advances in birth control.

Tarquin
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those ancient Romans did not seem to be so friendly to the Judeo/Christian traditions when people started abandoning the old Roman Temples en masse and flocking to a new tradition.

Ive pointed out on this board before that
Rome took exception to Druids and christians,
and reason is given.
as far as other pagan dieties go, they were accepting,
nor did Rome interfere with Hebrews
having their own beliefs and laws.

And only a couple roman Emperors had a serious
thing against Christians going.

How many Christians were actually thrown to the lions?
does anyone have a reliable total?.. and
provide a timeline of when the practice
first started and finally ended.

Like Egypt, Syria, Persia, etc,.didn't squabble over their
Gods.

I have a hard time believing that...

Scholarly books on the Romans I've read
often cover the specific subject of religion,
because of all the territories they conquered
with broad range of dieties outside their own.

How much have you studied on such?

Rome recruited many soldiers from across the
spance of the empire, and they permitted such
foreign recruits to maintain their personal dieties.
When Rome conquered people of different cultures
they didnt deny them having their own dieties.

Rome's strategy and objective wasn't to impose
everything Roman onto people across its empire.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

You're missing the point: each of those societies/cultures/countries appealed to a diety or dieties and held a belief in an absolute moral code.

The moral code of Babylon differed to Sumer which differed to Judaism which was not the same as Greco Roman morality, which was not the same as ours. Similar principles, but not the same. Similarity does not make an absolute.

Similarity comes from existential conditions, death, property, family, friends, nation, state, tribe....

Each believed their God was the true God and from that belief they derived what they also believed was a non-relative standard of right and wrong by which they regulated their behavior. Exemplary are the immortal words of Lord McCauley "Then out spoke brave Horatius, the captain of the gate. To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better Than facing fearful odds, For the ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his Gods." The salient point is that true religion and morality (not the spurious kind that characterizes so much of Christianity today [Exhibit A being our own Mr. Texas Jaguar]) tends to result in beings who regulate their own behavior without need of external regulation from the state. They don't tend to steal (for example) not merely because they might get caught, but because it is wrong. A society of those kinds of people requires a far less intrusive government than their opposite. The Founders were explicit about this.

Morality is relative to death, property and human relations, self defence, etc. The benefits to not killing wontonly are that you yourself and your family are safer if your society adopts this standard. The same for stealing, social manners, etc, everyone benefits. We don't need religion to tell us that.

Secular societies now are doing better than theocracies ever did.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DBT
The benefits to not killing wontonly are that you yourself and your family are safer if your society adopts this standard. The same for stealing, social manners, etc, everyone benefits. We don't need religion to tell us that.

And yet, as we me make our transition from one nation under God to that of leftist secular enlightenment, the corruption, violence, general disrespect of fellow citizens and destruction of our society escalates.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RayF
Originally Posted by DBT
The benefits to not killing wontonly are that you yourself and your family are safer if your society adopts this standard. The same for stealing, social manners, etc, everyone benefits. We don't need religion to tell us that.

And yet, as we me make our transition from one nation under God to that of leftist secular enlightenment, the corruption, violence, general disrespect of fellow citizens and destruction of our society escalates.

Atheism is neither leftist or rightist. Hitler was a Catholic. Ivan the terrible spent his mornings in the Chapel and his afternoons dismembering and flaying victims in his dungeon. People act the way they do for a host of reasons. A right winger can be an atheist or a theist. A Left winger can be a theist or an atheist. In principle atheism has nothing to with politics, so any relationship is incidental....a right wing government can be secular or theistic, as with the left.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DBT
Hitler was a Catholic. Ivan the terrible spent his mornings in the Chapel and his afternoons dismembering and flaying victims in his dungeon.

Neither the title of “Catholic”, the attendance of chapel, or the broad stroke term “religion” is what Christianity is about. I understand the point you’re attempting to make, but it just muddies the waters. They are irrelevant with our country’s shift to secularism and the fact that the timeframe in which it becomes more pronounced is the same exact timeframe we increasingly become what is often described as a Godless society. The characteristics I described in my last post could be sheer coincidence and I can’t provide the missing link, but, apparently, missing links are of little value to the highly educated. If we can “just believe” one exists between ape and man, can we just believe one exists between Godlessness and a deteriorating society.....or is a PhD required to qualify our leaps of faith?

- Socrates
IC B3

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
DBT, I can't help notice: you're very quick to attack anything theistic, but I've not once heard you speak out against the virulent racism that is so prevalent on this board. Not once. What's the problem, no testicles or are you in sympatico with the racists here?

I'm attacking nothing. Questioning beliefs and assumptions is neither an attack or something negative. It should be standard practice. A positive thing. A way of sorting fact from fiction.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Hitler was a Catholic. Ivan the terrible spent his mornings in the Chapel and his afternoons dismembering and flaying victims in his dungeon.

Neither the title of “Catholic”, the attendance of chapel, or the broad stroke term “religion” is what Christianity is about. I understand the point you’re attempting to make, but it just muddies the waters. They are irrelevant with our country’s shift to secularism and the fact that the timeframe in which it becomes more pronounced is the same exact timeframe we increasingly become what is often described as a Godless society. The characteristics I described in my last post could be sheer coincidence and I can’t provide the missing link, but, apparently, missing links are of little value to the highly educated. If we can “just believe” one exists between ape and man, can we just believe one exists between Godlessness and a deteriorating society.....or is a PhD required to qualify our leaps of faith?

Religion is defined by belief. If someone believes in the existence of a God or gods, they are by definition a theist. That someone believes in a different version of God does not make them any less a theist.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DBT
Religion is defined by belief. If someone believes in the existence of a God or gods, they are by definition a theist. That someone believes in a different version of God does not make them any less a theist.

Philosophical and impressive, although appearingly focused upon and written in avoidance of the issue of our society’s decay coinciding with the increased rejection of God.

Any thoughts pertaining directly to that? Perhaps we should call it a coincidence before going down another rabbit hole?

- Socrates
I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I

Not to hijack the thread, but the definition of racist is someone who beleves ALL members of another race are infrerior to ALL members of one's own race.

I don't think anyone here believes that.

But anyone who doesn't understand that Negroes, when in groups, are hazardous to one's health, is simply crazy. Even Jesse Jackson said that.

Racial discrimination could be eliminated overnight if the Negroes would just stop committing crimes. Can they? Recent evengts seem to dictate otherwise. You are going to see a mass exodus from the big blue cities. Common sense is not racism.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DBT

Spot on, Ray.

Although America began as a Christian nation, we are seeing unparalleled apostasy (falling away of the Truth) and spiritual delusion in the world. 2 Thess 2:3

There is growing deception and the world is in rebellion to God. We are seeing literal moral degeneration of man.
2 Tim 3:1-15

All this, just as the Bible said, imagine that. And yes, the scoffers and mockers will be along shortly, just as the Bible said, to mock and scoff.

Scoffers and mockers will continue to reject the Word of God and the WARNINGS that are coming on the judgment of the world. 2 Peter 3:3-8

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
[quote=Tarquin]DBT, I can't help notice: you're very quick to attack anything theistic, but I've not once heard you speak out against the virulent racism that is so prevalent on this board. Not once. What's the problem, no testicles or are you in sympatico with the racists here?

“I don't think anyone here believes that.”

Surely you jest.

Last edited by WhiteTail48; 06/18/20.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Atheism is about control and power. Don't believe it? Look at Dem party. The truth is that a nation of believers requires far less government than a nation of unbelievers who are unrestrained by any moral code. This point was made repeatedly by the Founders.

Atheism is about a single proposition. Is there sufficient evidence to believe theistic claims or not. That's it, nothing more. The only way in which this proposition is about "power" is should you grant power to others on the basis of their theistic claims.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WhiteTail48
Originally Posted by DBT

Spot on, Ray.

Although America began as a Christian nation, we are seeing unparalleled apostasy (falling away of the Truth) and spiritual delusion in the world. 2 Thess 2:3

There is growing deception and the world is in rebellion to God. We are seeing literal moral degeneration of man.
2 Tim 3:1-15

All this, just as the Bible said, imagine that. And yes, the scoffers and mockers will be along shortly, just as the Bible said, to mock and scoff.

Scoffers and mockers will continue to reject the Word of God and the WARNINGS that are coming on the judgment of the world. 2 Peter 3:3-8

Amen Whitetail. It's all just a means to and end.

2 Corinthians
3 And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. 4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Like Egypt, Syria, Persia, etc,.didn't squabble over their
Gods.

I have a hard time believing that. The priests of Zeuss never had a conflict with those of Apollo, or Mars, or Diana, or Athena etc, etc, over the best temple site or competed for accolytes????

Even the remaining mythology is full of competitions and outright battles between the gods of Greece/Rome.

We are well aware of battles fought and human sacrifice made to the gods of the S American indigenous peoples.

Polynesian cultures were also big on human sacrifice and yes, even cannibalism.

Those ancient Romans did not seem to be so friendly to the Judeo/Christian traditions when people started abandoning the old Roman Temples en masse and flocking to a new tradition. Hungry priests get vengeful and call upon all the power of civil authority.

Even the Crusades had little to do with religious conversions and much more to do with wealth, trade routes, and protection thereof. The wholesale slaughter of the peoples of South and Central America, and the catholicization of the remainder was much more to ensure a steady supply of labor for the Spanish Crown and income to The Church, than it was about the saving of souls.

Yep. Wars are fought for economic reasons. It just so happens that economic and religious boundaries often align.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT

If you are claiming that only those who believe in supernatural beings can self regulate you are wrong.

Page 32 of 95 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 94 95

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,283
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.