Hop To
Page 36 of 95 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 94 95
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by WhiteTail48
The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. Psalms 19:1
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Religion, especially the hope of a paradise waiting after death was a powerful thing to a slave population.

Until very recent times, even those people not in chains were enslaved by their environment. They spent most every waking moment tending their flocks, gathering herbs and roots, or hunting meat. As soon as they could walk at their Mother's side, they began helping in the gathering of food. Or the little ones took their dogs and tended flocks and chased away predators.

Religion and the thought of Heaven gave them hope of some reward after their unending suffering with labor, hunger, pestilence and early death.

Today, in developed nations, there is much less need for such. It is a natural progression, just as is the move toward smaller families.

I watched a beautiful sunset on the back deck the other night. Thin white clouds and pale blue sky up high. Low clouds in the foreground that were dark gray underneath and bright gold on top from the setting sun.
No wonder the people once believed including those who put the bible together thought that was where heaven could be found. Cloud pictures are still used today to depict “Heaven.”

“According to Genesis, they did believe that Heaven was located above the earth (in fact, in Hebrew, the same word means “Heavens” and “Skies.”
Genesis 28:12
“Then [Jacob] dreamed, and behold, a ladder was set up on the earth, and its top reached to heaven; and there the angels of God were ascending and descending on it."

For those who arent blind. Uh, I'm speaking in a spiritual sense here, like HE did (in many instances) and not in a literal sense.
wink

Until we finally got a good look and found out otherwise;most were pretty sure that Heaven was just up there on top of the clouds. Just as they thought Hell was deep in the Earth.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

GB4

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by antlers
Demanding that people believe in a literal interpretation of the entire Bible, and demanding that they believe things that are clearly not true...and telling them that their salvation is null and void if they don’t...certainly DOES push people away from Jesus.

You believe the big lie, so I'm not surprised you believe this lie.

Demanding that people believe in a literal interpretation of the Bible has a long history.
No lie, it pushed me away.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
How many heavens are listed in the Bible, Bow?
It is written about the birds flying in the heavens, meaning the sky or in the Kingdom of Heaven?

What about when Heaven comes down to earth.
"I did not create earth in vain".

Last edited by jaguartx; 06/19/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'll take my chances, I'll trust in Jesus.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Please help me out here. Seriously. What is the foundation of Christianity? I'm sure I'm not the only one in the dark.
The Resurrection of Jesus created and launched Christianity. The Resurrection of Jesus is THE foundation of Christianity. The faith of Christianity is tethered to the event of the Resurrection rather than to the authority and inspiration or infallibility or inerrancy of the Bible. The Bible did not create Christianity. The Bible did not birth Jesus’ Church. Our faith is anchored to the event (the Resurrection) that sparked the movement (the Church) that brought us the Bible. Christianity began on Easter morning with Jesus’ Resurrection.

Yep, the New Testament didn't even exist for many years while there was a thriving Christian Church.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Until we finally got a good look and found out otherwise;most were pretty sure that Heaven was just up there on top of the clouds. Just as they thought Hell was deep in the Earth.

“The Bible is clear — Hell is inside the earth! Ephesians 4:9, says of Jesus: "Now that He ascended, what is it but that He also descended first into the LOWER PARTS OF THE EARTH."”

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT
The decline of society is caused by many factors, economic, market saturation, business decline leading to shortage of jobs, a sense of hoplessness, turn to drugs, steal to feed the habit, homelessness, overpopulation, social friction, race tension, class, the haves and the have nots, poor education, etc, etc....religion being only a part of the overall picture. Plus the US has a higher percentage of believers than Australia, for example, yet appears to have greater problems.

Assuming you meant "a sense of hopelessness". And where might a sense of hopelessness come from? Perhaps the thought that you are nothing more than an ape who has come down out of the trees? I'd have a sense of hopelessness if I believed that, too.

If you really meant hoplessness, then I completely understand the majority of liberals; their lack of hops means they'll never make dime playing basketball, so they drag down society instead. grin

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J

“The Bible is clear — Hell is inside the earth! Ephesians 4:9, says of Jesus: "Now that He ascended, what is it but that He also descended first into the LOWER PARTS OF THE EARTH."”

If we will have Heaven on earth, will there be animals? whistle wink

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'll take my chances, I'll trust in Jesus.

Me too!!!

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I wish you’d fix that (above). You have your statements attributed to me, and my statements attributed to you...it’s all mixed up. What a mess.
Since you know what you posted and what I posted, how about answering the questions.
My position is clear. Crystal. I’m not threatened by what you think or believe. I’m not threatened by science...science that makes all of our lives better...every single day of our lives. The Bible is NOT the foundation of Christianity. I believe that the Gospel would still be true if every Bible and manuscript in the world were non-existent.

The Gospel surely would still be true. But how would we know about it if it wasn't written down? Passing it down solely by word of mouth would surely have distorted it beyond recognition by now. The distortions by liberal churches are bad enough as it is, that would just add to the problem. There has to be a benchmark for people to refer back to in a similar way that we have laws that are written down. Suppose the Constitution had not been written down? I'm sure glad the second amendment is written down; even if liberals try to distort it, the original words are there for us to point back to and make a stand on.

The Bible says what it says and that doesn't change. You can believe some, all, or none of it. I don't believe that you have to believe all of it to be a Christian, but once you start picking and choosing you are on a slippery slope.

I take a break from the computer at night, so excuse me if I'm being repetitive here.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

So much for your claims that Christianity will solve all of societies problems. More Black claim to be Christian than whites. Same for Latinos.

Nobody claims that, more of your twisting things to fit your paradigm.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
OK, if you want to nitpick, what about, "The meek shall inherit the earth"?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Bbn m
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go

So much for your claims that Christianity will solve all of societies problems. More Black claim to be Christian than whites. Same for Latinos.

Darn, TYG, you said that? wink

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by wabigoon
OK, if you want to nitpick, what about, "The meek shall inherit the earth"?

Yeah, Wabi, 6 feet of it. wink

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Demanding that people believe in a literal interpretation of the Bible has a long history.

I am sorry that has been the case for you. Faith can't and shouldn't be demanded or coerced, it has to come from the heart. I agree that many churches and many individual Christians have done great harm by being overly dogmatic. Persuasion, not coercion, is the better approach. Christians sometimes allow their zeal to get the best of them.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT
The decline of society is caused by many factors, economic, market saturation, business decline leading to shortage of jobs, a sense of hoplessness, turn to drugs, steal to feed the habit, homelessness, overpopulation, social friction, race tension, class, the haves and the have nots, poor education, etc, etc....religion being only a part of the overall picture. Plus the US has a higher percentage of believers than Australia, for example, yet appears to have greater problems.

Yeah, we got a lot more suffering among people now days wearing nikes, eating rotten road kill from their fridge while watching color TV while sitting under an AC than folks did along the European coast living off the fat of the sea with their motorized fishing boats while dodging polio, the plagues, mosquitoes, tetanus, potato famines and Barbary Coast bleck slavers a thousand years ago.

We got it so bad roving bands of poor starving bleck utes scavenge for green meat and donuts through the alley dumpsters all day unless they see a chick with nice tenners and a cell phone they can attack.

Sheesh.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-ta...erall-public-to-be-christian-protestant/

...today, a larger share of African Americans than whites say they are Christian. And, of all major U.S. racial and ethnic groups, blacks are the most likely to identify as Protestant.

Nearly eight-in-ten black Americans (79%) identify as Christian, according to Pew Research Center’s 2014 Religious Landscape Study. By comparison, seven-in-ten Americans overall (71%) say they are Christian, including 70% of whites, 77% of Latinos and just 34% of Asian Americans. Meanwhile, about seven-in-ten blacks are Protestant, compared with less than half of the public overall (47%), including 48% of whites, roughly a quarter of Latinos and 17% of Asian Americans.

[Linked Image from pewresearch.org]

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-ta...he-religious-lives-of-african-americans/

[Linked Image from pewresearch.org]

Claiming to be religious and acting so often isn't the same thing.

Is it religious to stick pins in voodoo dolls?

Voodoo is a religion, and includes may Catholic elements, more than you probably imagine.

As for claiming to be religion, but not really being so, .....you should look in the mirror.

I never said I was religion. I dont consider putting 50 2 inch long pony tails on a nappy haired kids head to keep off the "haints" adequate to call the folks believers either.

Doc,

This is just another example of what I mean when saying I really think you should spend more time looking in the mirror.

Do you not claim to be a Christian?
Were you not taught that all people were created in God's image, and thus deserve equal dignity?
But you continue to fill your writings with racist overtones, or blatant racism.

I'm not a believer, but evidenced by your actions on this forum, I treat people in a way more "Christian" manner than you do.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

I am sorry that has been the case for you. Faith can't and shouldn't be demanded or coerced, it has to come from the heart. I agree that many churches and many individual Christians have done great harm by being overly dogmatic. Persuasion, not coercion, is the better approach. Christians sometimes allow their zeal to get the best of them.

In all fairness, so do the Marxist.....

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Hastings
Voodoo is a religion, and includes may Catholic elements, more than you probably imagine.
As for claiming to be religion, but not really being so, .....you should look in the mirror.
You got that right. Jesus' (Yeshua's) teachings which weren't new ideas at all have had so much of other belief systems stitched onto them it resembles a religious Frankenstein monster.

Interesting comment. Why would you say that Jesus’ teachings were not new ideas? I have an opinion on this, but I would like to hear your viewpoint.

Also.... you went on to say that Jesus’ teachings had “other belief systems” stitched on to them. I am wondering about that. Can you elaborate?

Thanks,

Last edited by TF49; 06/19/20. Reason: Spel check

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Bbn m

Darn, TYG, you said that? wink

I have opined that our society's decline has followed the decline in Christianity. But I never said that Christianity would solve all of our problems in society. Christians are sinners just like anyone else and are subject to the same temptations. But I do think that society's problems would be lessened if everyone were Christian. To be clear, I am not advocating a theocracy or any form of coercion. Just saying that if more people's hearts turned to Christ, a lot (not all) of our problems would disappear.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Gospel surely would still be true. But how would we know about it if it wasn't written down?
That it was written down is not an issue.

We can learn about history from a history book, but that doesn’t make the book more important than the history itself. Some people worship the Bible, and some people worship Jesus. And often, the people who worship the Bible castigate the people who worship Jesus for not worshipping the Bible...!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Page 36 of 95 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 94 95

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 204guy, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 65 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,400 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,945
Posts18,480,184
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.