Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 37 of 95 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 94 95
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
I don't believe that you have to believe all of it to be a Christian, but once you start picking and choosing you are on a slippery slope.
To you...what is the difference between you saying “I don’t believe that you have to believe all of it to be a Christian”, and you saying “but once you start picking and choosing you are on a slippery slope”...?

If you don’t believe that you have to believe all of it to be a Christian, then isn’t that being on the slippery slope of picking and choosing that you referred to...?

I’ve stated my position on this earlier, when Ringman asked me about it. Just curious what your position on it is, since you made the quoted statement above.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
GB4

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I never thought about, 'Worshiping the Bible", you mean because someone can quote better than I, they have a better faith?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by antlers
I don't believe that you have to believe all of it to be a Christian, but once you start picking and choosing you are on a slippery slope.
To you...what is the difference between you saying “I don’t believe that you have to believe all of it to be a Christian”, and you saying “but once you start picking and choosing you are on a slippery slope”...?

If you don’t believe that you have to believe all of it to be a Christian, then isn’t that being on the slippery slope of picking and choosing that you referred to...?

It would be, if I didn't believe it all. (Just because I believe it all doesn't mean I understand it all). I'm simply saying that if you believe, for instance, in evolution, I am not going to challenge you if you claim to be a Christian. Some parts of the slope are steeper than others, and not all parts are as slippery as the others. Who Jesus is, what He did, and why He did it are what is paramount, as best as I can understand things.

My very first post on this thread contained words to the effect that it is unfortunate that so many people allow evolution to stand between themselves and Jesus.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

Demanding that people believe in a literal interpretation of the Bible has a long history.
No lie, it pushed me away.

I am sorry that has been the case for you. Faith can't and shouldn't be demanded or coerced, it has to come from the heart. I agree that many churches and many individual Christians have done great harm by being overly dogmatic. Persuasion, not coercion, is the better approach. Christians sometimes allow their zeal to get the best of them.

In all fairness, so do the Marxist.....

If you are saying that anyone can be guilty of being overzealous, then yes; that's certainly true.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My very first post on this thread contained words to the effect that it is unfortunate that so many people allow evolution to stand between themselves and Jesus.
It’s even more unfortunate that so many people allow some ‘Christians’ to stand between themselves and Jesus.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by Hastings
Voodoo is a religion, and includes may Catholic elements, more than you probably imagine.
As for claiming to be religion, but not really being so, .....you should look in the mirror.
You got that right. Jesus' (Yeshua's) teachings which weren't new ideas at all have had so much of other belief systems stitched onto them it resembles a religious Frankenstein monster.

Interesting comment. Why would you say that Jesus’ teachings were not new ideas? I have an opinion on this, but I would like to hear your viewpoint.

Also.... you went on to say that Jesus’ teachings had “other belief systems” stitched on to them. I am wondering about that. Can you elaborate?

Thanks,

I am really busy today but I'll give you a quick answer and more later. Jesus also called Yeshua and John the Baptist taught salvation through repentance which is the theme attached to salvation from front to back Genesis to Revelation. Read it and you cannot escape that Paul contradicted Jesus. Yes he did. The Roman version of Christianity attached all kinds of Paganism to their church and most protestants retained it. Start with Easter, Christmas, infant baptism, and I could go on and on. Just read Jesus' message that survived the editing and you will understand that most Christianity does not follow him and in fact would probably kill him again if he were to come back and tell them the truth as he did to the Jewish leaders of his day. The only place for an honest man is a grave in most places in this world.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Voodoo is a religion, and includes may Catholic elements, more than you probably imagine.
As for claiming to be religion, but not really being so, .....you should look in the mirror.
You got that right. Jesus' (Yeshua's) teachings which weren't new ideas at all have had so much of other belief systems stitched onto them it resembles a religious Frankenstein monster.

Interesting comment. Why would you say that Jesus’ teachings were not new ideas? I have an opinion on this, but I would like to hear your viewpoint.

Also.... you went on to say that Jesus’ teachings had “other belief systems” stitched on to them. I am wondering about that. Can you elaborate?

Thanks,

I am really busy today but I'll give you a quick answer and more later. Jesus also called Yeshua and John the Baptist taught salvation through repentance which is the theme attached to salvation from front to back Genesis to Revelation. Read it and you cannot escape that Paul contradicted Jesus. Yes he did. The Roman version of Christianity attached all kinds of Paganism to their church and most protestants retained it. Start with Easter, Christmas, infant baptism, and I could go on and on. Just read Jesus' message that survived the editing and you will understand that most Christianity does not follow him and in fact would probably kill him again if he were to come back and tell them the truth as he did to the Jewish leaders of his day. The only place for an honest man is a grave in most places in this world.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry, I repeated myself.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It’s even more unfortunate that so many people allow some Christians’ to stand between themselves and Jesus.

Also true.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
Please help me out here. Seriously. What is the foundation of Christianity? I'm sure I'm not the only one in the dark.
The Resurrection of Jesus created and launched Christianity. The Resurrection of Jesus is THE foundation of Christianity. The faith of Christianity is tethered to the event of the Resurrection rather than to the authority and inspiration or infallibility or inerrancy of the Bible. The Bible did not create Christianity. The Bible did not birth Jesus’ Church. Our faith is anchored to the event (the Resurrection) that sparked the movement (the Church) that brought us the Bible. Christianity began on Easter morning with Jesus’ Resurrection.

No one for almost 2,000 years was a witness of the resurrection. Without the Bible, what documentation do you have for Jesus or His resurrection?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Please help me out here. Seriously. What is the foundation of Christianity? I'm sure I'm not the only one in the dark.
“And if Jesus is not risen, our preaching is worthless and your faith is also worthless.” - Apostle Paul.

Did Apostle Paul see Jesus within the forty days prior to His ascension like Peter did?

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No one for almost 2,000 years was a witness of the resurrection. Without the Bible, what documentation do you have for Jesus or His resurrection?
That it was written down is not an issue.

We can learn about history from a history book, but that doesn’t make the book as important as the history itself. And it doesn’t make the book the foundation of that history. Some people worship the Bible, and some people worship Jesus. And often, the people who worship the Bible castigate the people who worship Jesus for not worshipping the Bible...!

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

Thanks,

For sure. They'd kill HIM for saying to keep the heathens out of your country and away from your kids.

Or to only feed those who CAN not feed themselves and let the others starve. Or for saying not to call mortal men Father.

Or for having church elders kill murderers. Or for saying HE was the son of GOD. Or....

Last edited by jaguartx; 06/19/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did Apostle Paul see Jesus within the forty days prior to His ascension like Peter did?
Seriously...?
Did Apostle Paul see Jesus.....?
Paul did both see and hear the risen Jesus.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

We can learn about history from a history book, but that doesn’t make the book more important than the history itself. Some people worship the Bible, and some people worship Jesus. And often, the people who worship the Bible castigate the people who worship Jesus for not worshipping the Bible...!

Really? I don't think I have ever run into anyone who elevated the Bible over Jesus. Sure, on any given day someone might talk about the Bible to the exclusion of anything else; but my experience has been that Jesus was still preeminent in their minds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seriously...?
Did Apostle Paul see Jesus.....?
Paul did both see and hear the risen Jesus.

And how do you know this?

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And how do you know this?

We can learn about history from a history book, but that doesn’t make the book as important as the history itself. And it doesn’t make the book the foundation of that history. Some people worship the Bible, and some people worship Jesus. And often, the people who worship the Bible castigate the people who worship Jesus for not worshipping the Bible...!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Really? I don't think I have ever run into anyone who elevated the Bible over Jesus. Sure, on any given day someone might talk about the Bible to the exclusion of anything else; but my experience has been that Jesus was still preeminent in their minds.
A better choice of words on my part may have conveyed my point better...

‘We can learn about history from a history book, but that doesn’t make the book as important as the history itself.’ And it doesn’t make the book the foundation of that history.

And none of the above, from you or I, negates the reality that “Some people worship the Bible, and some people worship Jesus. And often, the people who worship the Bible castigate the people who worship Jesus for not worshipping the Bible...!”

That we can learn about historical events that happened thousands of years ago from documentation, doesn’t mean that those events exist ‘because of’ the documentation. Those events still happened, regardless of the existence or not of the documentation.

I don’t worship the Bible. If others choose to, so be it.

My beliefs are not threatened by those who choose to worship the Bible.

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Matt 24:34
Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass til all these things be fulfilled.

The first "thing" was the establishment of Israel as a nation in 1948.
That start the generational time clock.

Psalms 90:10
The days of our years are three score years and ten (70 years);
and if by reason of strength they be four score years (80 years),
yet is their strength labor and sorrow;
For it is soon cut off, and we fly away.

Psalms 90:4
For 1,000 years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night.

So, 70-80 years after the inception of literal Israel I expect there is a good chance for the rapture.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A better choice of words on my part may have conveyed my point better...

‘We can learn about history from a history book, but that doesn’t make the book as important as the history itself.’ And it doesn’t make the book the foundation of that history.

And none of the above, from you or I, negates the reality that “Some people worship the Bible, and some people worship Jesus. And often, the people who worship the Bible castigate the people who worship Jesus for not worshipping the Bible...!”

That we can learn about historical events that happened thousands of years ago from documentation, doesn’t mean that those events exist ‘because of’ the documentation. Those events still happened, regardless of the existence or not of the documentation.

I don’t worship the Bible. If others choose to, so be it.

My beliefs are not threatened by those who choose to worship the Bible.

You create a strawman to defend you lack of faith in God protecting His Word.

Everyday Hunter
Page 37 of 95 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 94 95

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,953
Posts18,480,406
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.