Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 38 of 95 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 94 95
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
You create a strawman to defend your lack of faith in God protecting His Word.
lol

If you choose to see it that way, then so be it. There’s no intentionally misrepresented proposition...on my part.

Do you also think Jesus “created a strawman” when He sometimes used an example to get His point across when He was asked a question...?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
GB4

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What seems to be missed by humanists, is that in-depth knowledge of the bible, memorization of the scriptures or belief in literal vs interpretive aspects aren’t required by God. It’s so easy that it’s hard for critical thinkers. You only have to confess that Jesus Christ was the Son of God, He died for our sins and God wants us to take care of each other. That’s it. It is walking by faith. Not by sight. You have to be like a child. As a matter of fact, evidence of God or Jesus would actually take away from it, since it is based on faith.

Science is the study that requires evidence and being proven or disproven. The irony is humanists commonly believe that only they reserve the right of using baseless faith when their thesis is hanging in limbo. What commonly happens, as has happened here, is a secular “Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter-accusations” approach using scientific metrics to measure christian faith development.

Case and point: The OP’s topic derailed pages ago because ape to man evolution is not a proven theory and they aren’t anywhere near having it proven. However, christianity, the behavior of christians, the bible, religion, Jesus, Paul and God are now all the topics being judged....in between insults.

Well done, science guys. Well done.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by antlers
And none of the above, from you or I, negates the reality that “Some people worship the Bible, and some people worship Jesus. And often, the people who worship the Bible castigate the people who worship Jesus for not worshipping the Bible...!

Since you said "Some people..." in our first sentence, I guess there's no way to dispute that as being the reality. But when you say those few people "often castigate the people who worship Jesus for not worshiping the Bible", I have to think that you are mistaking their belief in the inerrancy of scripture for worship of the scripture. But you're the one who seems to run into these folks a lot, so who am I to say?

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Just looking at a Merle Haggard song, 'There's just one way to get to Heaven." I think we all know that Way.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by JGRaider

.... .

Well said, JG.

Elite-class roman citizen women changing husbands,
and the dirt-poor citizen (of Rome city) getting a
Subsistence grain/bread allowance caused the whole
Empire to fall...???.. 😂

How much have you virgin birth twits actually
studied on the Republic and Empire?

Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Yep, the New Testament didn't even exist for many years while there was a thriving Christian Church.

If not for Pagan hellenistic Greeks organizing
for the N.T. to be written up, to add to their
library in Alexandria, you'd not have such.

Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
.. there was a thriving Christian Church.

Considering the weird variety of competing factions,
How many real-deal christians were there prior to the
N.T. coming into existence?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
And none of the above, from you or I, negates the reality that “Some people worship the Bible, and some people worship Jesus. And often, the people who worship the Bible castigate the people who worship Jesus for not worshipping the Bible...!
Since you said "Some people..." in our first sentence, I guess there's no way to dispute that as being the reality. But when you say those few people "often castigate the people who worship Jesus for not worshiping the Bible", I have to think that you are mistaking their belief in the inerrancy of scripture for worship of the scripture. But you're the one who seems to run into these folks a lot, so who am I to say?
Either way, the Jesus I know isn’t bound by the covers of a book. And my belief in Him doesn’t require an inerrant Bible, nor does my belief in Him require a literal interpretation of the entire Bible.

If others choose to see it differently for themselves, then so be it.

My beliefs are not threatened by those who choose to believe that faith in Jesus requires an inerrant Bible, nor are my beliefs threatened by those who choose to believe that faith in Jesus requires a literal interpretation of the entire Bible.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RayF
What seems to be missed by humanists, is that in-depth knowledge of the bible, memorization of the scriptures or belief in literal vs interpretive aspects aren’t required by God. It’s so easy that it’s hard for critical thinkers. You only have to confess that Jesus Christ was the Son of God, He died for our sins and God wants us to take care of each other. That’s it. It is walking by faith. Not by sight. You have to be like a child. As a matter of fact, evidence of God or Jesus would actually take away from it, since it is based on faith.

Science is the study that requires evidence and being proven or disproven. The irony is humanists commonly believe that only they reserve the right of using baseless faith when their thesis is hanging in limbo. What commonly happens, as has happened here, is a secular “Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter-accusations” approach using scientific metrics to measure christian faith development.

Case and point: The OP’s topic derailed pages ago because ape to man evolution is not a proven theory and they aren’t anywhere near having it proven. However, christianity, the behavior of christians, the bible, religion, Jesus, Paul and God are now all the topics being judged....in between insults.

Well done, science guys. Well done.

It is called DNA...
Frequently Asked Questions | The Smithsonian Institution's ...
humanorigins.si.edu › education ›

How are humans and monkeys related?
Humans and monkeys are both primates. But humans are not descended from monkeys or any other primate living today. We do share a common ape ancestor with [bleep]. It lived between 8 and 6 million years ago. But humans and [bleep] evolved differently from that same ancestor. All apes and monkeys share a more distant relative, which lived about 25 million years ago.

Isn’t evolution controversial among scientists?
Evolution is the cornerstone of modern biology. There is no scientific controversy about whether evolution occurred or whether it explains the history of life on Earth. As in all fields of science, knowledge about evolution continues to increase through research and serious debate. For example, scientists continue to investigate the details of how evolution occurred and to refine exactly what happened at different times.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
So which of the (more than six) images of man are the copy of God's image (created man in his own image)?

Short and fat? Negro or white? Neanderthal or Homo sapiens? Australopithecus afarensis (walked upright but brain less than half our size)?

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
The decline of society is caused by many factors, economic, market saturation, business decline leading to shortage of jobs, a sense of hoplessness, turn to drugs, steal to feed the habit, homelessness, overpopulation, social friction, race tension, class, the haves and the have nots, poor education, etc, etc....religion being only a part of the overall picture. Plus the US has a higher percentage of believers than Australia, for example, yet appears to have greater problems.

Assuming you meant "a sense of hopelessness". And where might a sense of hopelessness come from? Perhaps the thought that you are nothing more than an ape who has come down out of the trees? I'd have a sense of hopelessness if I believed that, too.

If you really meant hopelessness then I completely understand the majority of liberals; their lack of hops means they'll never make dime playing basketball, so they drag down society instead. grin

Why would I say 'a sense of hopelessness' If I had not meant to say it?
I also listed possible reasons for the sense of hopelessness that some feel, struggling to make ends meet, low income, meaningless work day in day out without respite....may be causes for the breakdown of society, turning to drugs, crime, etc.

These issues are more economic and existential than religious. A society does well when it's members feel they have opportunities to get ahead, to thrive....rather than believing in this or that version of God.

Last edited by DBT; 06/19/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
...a sense of hoplessness...
Assuming you meant "a sense of hopelessness"...
Why would I say 'a sense of hoplessness' If I had not meant to say it?
It’s possible that it’s a spelling thing.

IC B3

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

Wow, typos are a real issue. Damn phone program word option crap repeats whatever the initial error was.

Last edited by DBT; 06/19/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jesus told a man to give away all his
material wealth and follow Jesus..
How many 'Christians' have invested
that much faith in their God?

They like to bring up "no atheists in a foxhole"
when war shows Christians will be crowded
in the safer concrete bunker along with agnostics
and athiests.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

Wow, typos are a real issue. Damn phone program word option crap repeats whatever the initial error was.

Sure happens to me.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Me too.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Something I would like believers to contemplate:

The Lords work was done in 6 days, possibly meaning 6000 years.

2000 years from Adam to Abraham.

2000 years from Abraham to Jesus.

2000 years from Jesus to about right now.

How do we know? Well, we know the approximate year of the birth of Jesus CHRIST because we know when King Herod was in power.

It seems the 2000 years since Jesus was born ends up some time between the years 2016 and 2028.

Psalms also says CHRIST will return at the last trump.

Sleep well guys.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Either way, the Jesus I know isn’t bound by the covers of a book. And my belief in Him doesn’t require an inerrant Bible, nor does my belief in Him require a literal interpretation of the entire Bible.

If others choose to see it differently for themselves, then so be it.

My beliefs are not threatened by those who choose to believe that faith in Jesus requires an inerrant Bible, nor are my beliefs threatened by those who choose to believe that faith in Jesus requires a literal interpretation of the entire Bible.

And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen. (John 21:25) So, yep, Jesus is not bound by the cover of a book, for sure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
It is called DNA....

Your cut & pasted post is a hypothesis. Not a proven theory, as its highly disputed....and not just by christians.

Again, it runs out of evidence and relies on faith....the same stuff that humanists criticize when christians use it to explain the existence of God.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Demanding that people believe in a literal interpretation of the Bible has a long history.
No lie, it pushed me away.

I am sorry that has been the case for you. Faith can't and shouldn't be demanded or coerced, it has to come from the heart. I agree that many churches and many individual Christians have done great harm by being overly dogmatic. Persuasion, not coercion, is the better approach. Christians sometimes allow their zeal to get the best of them.

My problem with the Bible is that the Old Testament is way too bloodthirsty for me. I could double this page count with examples.
Some of it spills over into the New Testament, but the revolutionary teachings of Jesus are a long, long ways from the Old.
That is why the writings in the Bible reflect the cruel and unenlightened world and times when they were written.

"O daughter Babylon, you devastator! Happy shall they be who pay you back what you have done to us! Happy shall they be who take your little ones and dash them against the rock!"(Psalm 137:8–9 NRSV)

"See, the day of the Lord is coming — a cruel day, with wrath and fierce anger. . . . I will put an end to the arrogance of the haughty. . . . Their infants will be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses will be looted and their wives violated." (Isaiah 13:9–16 NIV)

"And if ye will not for all this hearken unto me, but walk contrary unto me; Then I will walk contrary unto you also in fury; and I, even I, will chastise you seven times for your sins. And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat." (Leviticus 26:27–29 King James Version)

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RayF
It is called DNA....

Your cut & pasted post is a hypothesis. Not a proven theory, as its highly disputed....and not just by christians.

Again, it runs out of evidence and relies on faith....the same stuff that humanists criticize when christians use it to explain the existence of God.

It's not "highly disputed".

Did you ever get that GED like Ringman?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Voodoo is a religion, and includes may Catholic elements, more than you probably imagine.
As for claiming to be religion, but not really being so, .....you should look in the mirror.
You got that right. Jesus' (Yeshua's) teachings which weren't new ideas at all have had so much of other belief systems stitched onto them it resembles a religious Frankenstein monster.

Interesting comment. Why would you say that Jesus’ teachings were not new ideas? I have an opinion on this, but I would like to hear your viewpoint.

Also.... you went on to say that Jesus’ teachings had “other belief systems” stitched on to them. I am wondering about that. Can you elaborate?

Thanks,

Because there were many similiar predecessor religions to Christianity. Here Richard Carrier details several, and also some that are claimed but are not actually do not feature a dying and rising god like Christianity:

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 38 of 95 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 94 95

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 66 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,949
Posts18,480,378
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.