Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"In the future, we'll look back on this time regarding technology and society's exposure and think of it as an absolute train wreck."

The Iphone causes all kinds of damage to society. We are going to wish that they had never been invented.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by devnull

Starman,
I want to respond here as you make a good point about keeping the bad things away from kids. I wanted my kids to have the same experiences as other kids in society. That meant in our case, having a "smart" phone. However, we as stewards and mentors of our kids do not realize what the current environmentals are doing to our kids. I work in the cyber security industry and have for the last 19 years. I'm aware of how technology works and how corporate networks are being targeted, etc. However, I didn't have any ideas as to how kids were interacting with technology (and with each other) as I didn't and don't buy into social media. I saw my son one day rolling through his phone tapping the screen...This went on for 30 minutes. I asked him what he was doing and he proceeds to tell me that he has to continue the streaks on SnapChat. Bottom line is that these companies are finding way to keep the kids engaged in screen time and to have "followers" so that a user base for the platform is built. Social media companies are also clever enough to remove any forensic evidence or metadata after a user views a chat/video. This alone propagates the ability for cyber bullying to occur. Also remember, time is of the essence in collecting any of these logs as evidence.

Where does that leave me as a parent? We, in our infinite wisdom (pun here), try to limit his access and time on the phone. My son figures out how we're filtering and he then finds a way around it by re-writing his MAC address on the device or gets on another local, open hotspot.There were times where we felt taking the phone away was a means to protect him. However, he was in a school system where attendance was taken by the phone. Classrooms were administered through the use of the phones by having kids answer questions via the "smart" phone. Now, we're in a situation where he's having a hard time in the classroom due to us taking the phone.....Environmental demands here tell us this isn't sustainable. So, to answer your question, it's not black and white on being able to block access when content is deleted after being viewed. Staying away if you can't handle isn't an option either as there were legitimate demands for the technology. It's a vicious cycle that we've put ourselves in here. At the end of the day, my son made a decision....Keeping him away may not have changed his decision.

In the future, we'll look back on this time regarding technology and society's exposure and think of it as an absolute train wreck. My son told me some time back I had no idea what he was exposed to compared to when I was his age. Wrongfully, I didn't believe him originally but I do now. I tried to get the kids outdoors and to expose them to the simpler pleasures in life. However, the dopamine rush from social media wouldn't let them slow down and enjoy it like we did as youngsters.

Anyway, thank you all for the condolences and kind words. They are comforting if there is such a thing right now. It's helped me to write this post. There are some on here that I've reached out to that have walked down this road years back. I appreciate the knowledge and wisdom imparted as they went through the process.

Very informative. Thank you, and God bless you and your family.

Last edited by OldHat; 07/15/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
devnull,

I do wish you the best in your dealings with the DA/police there. It's certainly going to be tough given the politics of the issue as you mentioned.

I don't know, but if the law enforcement agencies turn out to be no help to that aspect of your situation, might a call/email to some press establishments be in order?

Once again, my sincerest and heartfelt condolences to you and yours.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Just to show how evil our culture has become ... Every parent should listen to the song "Bury a Friend" by Billie Eilish. Ignore the beat and LISTEN TO THE WORDS. Your kids do. She has over 31 million subscribers. That song alone has 356 million views!!!

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I can't even begin to fathom the mental pain and anguish you are going through. I pray that you can find peace and be released from reliving that memory.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There are no words that can express enough sorrow for the loss of a child.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Devnull Sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by devnull

Starman,
I want to respond here as you make a good point about keeping the bad things away from kids. I wanted my kids to have the same experiences as other kids in society. That meant in our case, having a "smart" phone.....

..... ......

Theres nothing wrong with such technology in
the classroom, work/business and private life.
Mobile PEDs also allow people to be out and about
doing the simple healthy pastimes and pleasures
you talk of while carrying a useful helpful device
for sensible reasons.
PEDs offer a lot of practical efficiency and I see
society using them responsibly in such manner. Individuals just need to decide/ manage how and
why they employ their device.
The introduction of the idiot box TV did
far worse by keeping people glued to
the lounge chair and brainwashed.

PEDs are almost a compulsory tool of the
advancing world and learning at schools
or running a business without such would
be foolish/ a distinct disadvantage.
But a learning or business tool application
is not the same as just 'hanging out' on
social media coz it's hip or cool...there are
people that have responsibilities and busy
constructive lives who don't have time
to waste on social media, but will still take
advantage of such to keep in contact with
family and good friends. If used in a smart
way, PEDs and social media can and do
improve one's success and quality of life.

Anyone who don't like technology and all
the 'evils' it brings, can sell their car and
computer and go live with the Amish.

People who take their lives young or old or just
abuse their lives, can be a complex issue as to
why they do, and the ignorance some display
regarding who or what is to blame, doesnt do
anything to solve the problem.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
We have so far avoided smart phones and social media for our kids....and will continue to avoid them.

A terrible reminder for sure.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My sincerest condolences for your tragic loss. I can not imagine the pain.......

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm 61 with three sons and it made me cry reading what you just went thru........... I can't imagine having the strength to continue on.

My prayers are with you and just remember you did all you could, all any normal caring dad would, could do.

Grammar is important.
Capitol letters are the difference between "helping your Uncle Jack off a horse" & "helping your uncle jack off a horse".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am so sorry to hear this news. Prayers on the way.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

Public school w lib teachers/ admins and A hole students is bad enough. Modern tech just makes it tougher.

Bad people leverage whatever they can.

My kids out of school and this crap was bad back then.
I think it has gotten way worse

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All I can do Sir is offer Prayers of strength and comfort to you and your family.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hookeye
Bad people leverage whatever they can.
Preach...!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
We have so far avoided smart phones and social media for our kids....and will continue to avoid them.

Resist, resist, at all costs resist, all the way though high school.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Resist, resist, at all costs resist, all the way though high school.

I honestly dont believe there is a safe dose when it comes to children and social media.

"Unsafe at any speed."

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I just drove today for 80 miles on interstates to look at an ultralight airplane with my brother.
We saw four or five instances of people getting really stupid, in the left lane on I 40 doing 55 in a 65 zone etc. In every case, the driver, usually a young female, was texting on an Iphone. Using an Iphone while driving is more dangerous than drunk driving.

We met with the guy selling the ultralight, he was limping a little. Six weeks ago, he was stopped at a stop light in Cullowhee NC, on his BMW motorcycle, a gal rear ended him and totalled his bike. She was doing 35 and never even hit the brakes.
She was texting on the Iphone.

He told me he "suffered a fracture of the 10th thoracic vertebra."

I am an old paramedic. I said, "You mean, you have a broken back. Why are you still breathing air?"

The Iphone is the new religion. It is a monster. I hate Iphones.

We had a pretty good country 15 years ago and the Iphone had not been invented.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m very sorry, this is a tragety. I have Two friends whose 15 year old sons did the same, they never saw it coming, none of the kid’s friends saw it coming.
I saw their degrees of suffering, I have an idea of what your family will now endure, and I’m very sorry. Sometimes life is just so damned cruel.
I’ll never forget one of them looking me in the eyes, tears filling his, “I just want him back, I just want another chance”. I teared up too, what could I say to him, but “I’m so sorry this happened”.

Again, that is all I can say, I’m so sorry this happened.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Sometimes there isnt a reason.

Just seemed like the thing to do at the time.

I got to the scene before the parents on a suicide call.

We always want there to be a reason.

I am MAGA.
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

419 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 40 invisible), 1,909 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,635
Posts18,493,138
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.