-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That is precisely my point, Jim: Humans deify EVERYTHING. Gods and religion are simply madeup superstition from the time when Og couldn't understand why his children died or even why it rained. There had to be something invisible that controlled it all. Hence, gods.

Then some clever villager realized that if he declared himself the only emissary that could talk to those gods, he could be as powerful as the village chief. And presto there were priests and their contrived version of reality/religion.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tyrone
We have the Dead Sea Scrolls which are nearly word-for-word compared to most modern translations.

Were they written as the story unfolded, by Adam (Not Eve, wimmins didn't get skooled back then), Moses, Abraham, Isaiah, Enoch, David, Solomon, et al?

Or were they compiled long after the stories were said to have occurred?

Asking for a friend.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Remsen
So this is what happens to Asians from Mythbusters when they die.

Holy scheidt,

the Son of Adirondacks Comedians arrives!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Funny, sse. Really.

Floppy disk this morning?

We shall now read from the books of Matthew John Luke and Duck!

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Holy scheidt,

I didn't get it.

I feel shame.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Holy scheidt,

I didn't get it.

I feel shame.

Oh well, there will be more we don't understand on the first go round grasshopper.

In it is contentment

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
That's a bit unfair to Buddhism and Taoism from what I know of them.

Siddhartha Gautama, the Buddha, never really talks about a God, he sort of mentions "the gods" in an offhand manner sometimes. But what stands out is that he said basically "what I'm telling you works for me. Try it yourself, if it doesn't work, then try something else."

Taoism, from the Tao te Ching or Way of Life, also never talks about being a true religion, it doesn't even call itself a religion. The guy who supposedly wrote it just wrote down some things about the way the universe flows, and folks can go with that flow or against it.

Humans later on deified Buddha even though he never claimed to have any supernatural origin, plus they added a whole bunch of technical stuff which AFAIK he never talked about. I don't believe there is any central deified figure in Taoism although again, humans have created a structure of religion around it. Buddhism, Taoism and Hinduism, not having a central god figure, are basically pretty peaceful religions, you won't find much in the way of crusades or mass wars caused by their believers. "It's God's will that we destroy you! (that salves our conscience about the horrible, sadistic brutality we bring upon you and makes it okay)" Absent that whole "god's will" thing folks tend to treat their fellows much better. The Hindus have fought against the Muslims but that's probably as much politically and economically based as the deadly struggles between Protestants and Catholics.

The Christian and Islamic power brokers are the two biggies who will kill you if you disagree, and in Christianity that's the extant remnant of the Roman Empire working symbiotically with secular governments to enlarge and cement their power. I suspect it's the same with Islam except the Islamic clerics want to be the entire government with no competition from secular sources.

Tell it to JESUS.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
At 73, every morning is a floppy disk and no RAM, Jim. LOL!

We could read from the First Book of Ezra - except that it was one that the Synod of Hippo "voted out" of the Bible.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rocky,

do you know if there is a translation into SoCal Dude language.

Something along the lines of:

Dude, like way way back in the olden days, you know like when they had the cool old woody station wagons and surfed on like ten foot long boards, there was like this babealicious babe named Eve, lived in like this garden like, with this dude named Adam. Everything there was like free, and it must have been like down by Tahiti or some place, because like they didn't even need to wear no clothes like. Anyway, there was like this snaky dude there, reminds me of like that creepy guy that hangs out down by the lifeguard tower, and like ogles all the chickies, so like, he like comes on to the Eve babe, and gets her to eat the forbidden fruit, which I think was like a avocado or some other rad tasting goodie like, then the Adam dude and Eve get kicked out by the old man who owned the garden for eating his avocados, and they ended up somewhere cold like and had to wear clothes and there was like no more free schidt like, and then there were kids and likeo one of them killed the other, then wars like with the neighbors, and a giant flood, but they like had a cool boat, and folks lived like a million years like. There's more, but I gotta like toke up another doob.

In it is contentment

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If you are going to take some book and assign some grand significance to it and then analyze it to death, adding sub-plots and deciding some parts are real and others are metaphor, pick a more recent book, or one that hasn't been dicked with by so many different people and groups over several centuries.

There's a reason why the Bible was the first book printed with the newly invented printing press, and remains the most widely printed book in history. And that reason has nothing to do with "word of God", or "truth".

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
EBE1 said in the future there is no need for God. I say lying aliens even if we are their ancestors.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They missed that one so far, Valsdad. Just like they somehow skipped over Esperanto.

Jag, you probably believe in Jesus because your elders taught you he's real. Just like they did with the tooth fairy, the Easter Bunny, and Santa.

Santa, BTW, is just "Jesus Lite." We created him the same way. He's immortal, can't be seen, knows if you're good or bad, and performs miracles, after which he flies home to his mythical heaven. He even has a group of "apostle elves" to do his bidding. Instead of bread and wine we make it kid-level with a milk and cookies offering.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've found the first four books of the New Testament to be a very valuable guide to approaching life no matter who wrote them, as good as anything else ever written, and following the advice therein is a definite path to happiness or contentment or whatever one's soul is searching for. The Old Testament has some gems scattered throughout but you gotta get through the slaughtering, adultery and all the good soap opera stuff to find it.

But - and not saying this just to debate or piss off anybody - one can also find equally good advice in the Dharma of Buddha and Taoist works as well, plus works of the stoic philosophers Marcus Aurelius and Epictetus. Heck, a fellow could do a lot worse than just reading Tolstoy's short stories. There are lots of others but these examples are among the ones I'm most familiar with.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Its amazing how the smartest people know what to repudiate without even having watched the program.
It reminds one of the lieberals in college showing up to prevent Laura Ingraham from speaking and to contradict her before even hearing her.

Many follow the script written for them ages ago. Strange that so many claim their GOD given rights.

Knowing this first of all, that scoffers will come in the last days with scoffing, following their own sinful desires. They will say, “Where is the promise of his coming? For ever since the fathers fell asleep, all things are continuing as they were from the beginning of creation.”

“‘Look, you scoffers, be astounded and perish; for I am doing a work in your days, a work that you will not believe, even if one tells it to you.’”

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Since you brought it up, baldhunter...

What began as a mass of ever-embellished verbal stories in Aramaic and other languages is finally collected in about the year 600, with about a third of them being discarded or rejected before being written down in ancient Greek. Later dubiously translated into ancient Latin and even more centuries later into Chaucerian English, early German, and other languages. Then continually revised, re-translated, abridged, and essentially re-written from scratch.

Until today, we are told to accept it word for word. (Coming soon: The Bible in Ebonics!)

But it’s the WORD OF GOD, they say. So is the Quran, the Talmud, as well as the texts of Buddhism, Taoism, and at least a dozen other “isms” of the thousands of other religions practiced in history and around the globe. Is yours the one and only “right” religion? Yes, say the believers of each and every one of them. Is your book the one and only word of god? Yes, say the believers of each and every one of them.

Uh oh. Now you've done it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jag, I went through 16 years of Catholic education. Trust me, I have seen "the program." There's no wizard behind that curtain, either.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So Eve prances around the forest, tatas (small, so there is rhat) akimbo and Bush pilot worthy snatch out there for Adam to see (and probably smell as this was before the days of Femenique). Eve gets pissed at Adam ignoring her so the Devil turns himself into a John Holmes look alike snake, bribes Eve with an apple (yeah, right), knocks the bottom out of her, so god gets pissed, throws them out of "Paradise" (no air conditioning, color TV, fast cars OR nice guns), makes them wear clothes and the rest is history? So where did the coloreds and the zips come from? riiight...Good post, Rock...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
That is precisely my point, Jim: Humans deify EVERYTHING. Gods and religion are simply madeup superstition from the time when Og couldn't understand why his children died or even why it rained. There had to be something invisible that controlled it all. Hence, gods.

Then some clever villager realized that if he declared himself the only emissary that could talk to those gods, he could be as powerful as the village chief. And presto there were priests and their contrived version of reality/religion.

I'm a Christian, but the reason I know for a fact that what you say is not true is:
1) paganism in a variety of forms is exploding in the educated west. I'm not talking about stupid people. I'm talking about very, very educated people who are going all in. It is not some fashion fade. It's exploding.
2) the supernatural is very real. just because you have not seen it does not mean others have not.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's what you believe, Old hat, but you cannot in any way KNOW what I said isn't true. Besides, what you say proves mine: people invent gods.

You are perfectly free to believe anything you like. I won't call you names because of it. It is in fact one of our inalienable rights. Not God-given, I would argue, but inalienable nonetheless. Whether you choose to worship Jesus or Yahway or Allah or Bahl or Osiris is none of my business - unless and until you start telling me I have to as well. With a gun to my head. Then things get hairy.

I cannot believe in a loving God who blesses us with (for example) a child and then kills that child with some agonizing cancer. Or inflicts more plague than harvest upon us. I can't believe in a God who does those things. Because if a God doesn't control everything, then he isn't an all-powerful god. And if he does control everything, then he's a vicious, capricious, vengeful, and cruel thing.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Since you brought it up, baldhunter...

What began as a mass of ever-embellished verbal stories in Aramaic and other languages is finally collected in about the year 600, with about a third of them being discarded or rejected before being written down in ancient Greek. Later dubiously translated into ancient Latin and even more centuries later into Chaucerian English, early German, and other languages. Then continually revised, re-translated, abridged, and essentially re-written from scratch.

Until today, we are told to accept it word for word. (Coming soon: The Bible in Ebonics!)

But it’s the WORD OF GOD, they say. So is the Quran, the Talmud, as well as the texts of Buddhism, Taoism, and at least a dozen other “isms” of the thousands of other religions practiced in history and around the globe. Is yours the one and only “right” religion? Yes, say the believers of each and every one of them. Is your book the one and only word of god? Yes, say the believers of each and every one of them.

Does that mean the Bible is a “greatest hits” or reader’s digest abridged version?
grin

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

227 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 280shooter, 2ndwind, 30 invisible), 2,208 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,889
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.