-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Q will certainly tell you that plenty in power on this planet worship Satan and are busy doing his bidding. Christian or not I think we would all like to see and end to that.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
GB4

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by RemModel8
But he was inspired, and apparently that's the litmus test, no?
Sorry RemMod8, but I’m not followin’ ya’. Could you rephrase the question...?

You mention inspired a few posts back. Is one's inspiration less than another persons?

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by OldHat
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
We could read from the First Book of Ezra - except that it was one that the Synod of Hippo "voted out" of the Bible.
If the Bible is inspired by God, and one of its books got “voted out” by man, does that negate the rest of it...? If the Bible is inspired by God, and one of its books got ”voted out” by man, does that mean that all of the rest of it is no longer inspired by God...?

You are assuming the supernatural does not exist. if the Bible is inspired then God would supernaturally protect it's integrity.

antlers, I see what you are saying. I actually believe the voted out books is God cleaning up His inspired word.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.. if the Bible is inspired then God would supernaturally protect it's integrity.

Your god may have allowed Bible to be corrupted
like he did Adam & Eve and the church.

Btw; Had a Creator not hated gardening there
would have been no need for an Adam to tend it.

If they wrongly left out one that was inspired, maybe some that they wrongly left in aren't. .

Such Logic and reason has no place
in christian faith.

When something is totally devoid of all logic,
reason, evidence and witness, you have faith,
but ~stupidity~ shares the same definition.

BELIEF is a construct of the mortal fallible mind.
yet countless Christians form another wacky belief
that their beliefs are infallible / beyond question.

As if more absurdity and delusion gives credit
to their other feeble mind factory junk.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are assuming the supernatural does not exist.
No, I’m not. I’m pointing out that if man “voted out” a book that was inspired by God, that doesn’t negate the legitimacy of what we ‘do’ have in the Bible today. If man “voted out” a book that was inspired by God, that doesn’t mean that what we ‘do’ have in the Bible today isn’t equally inspired by God.
If the Bible is inspired then God would supernaturally protect it's integrity.
I don’t know that. And you don’t know that. Although you can have your opinion on the matter.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You mention inspired a few posts back. Is one's inspiration less than another persons?
I was referring to the books themselves as being ‘inspired’ by God. But, I ‘do’ think that your opinions or inspirations on these matters are just as valid as anyone else’s are.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
You are assuming the supernatural does not exist.
No, I’m not. I’m pointing out that if man “voted out” a book that was inspired by God, that doesn’t negate the legitimacy of what we ‘do’ have in the Bible today. If man “voted out” a book that was inspired by God, that doesn’t mean that what we ‘do’ have in the Bible today isn’t equally inspired by God.

I agree.

If the Bible is inspired then God would supernaturally protect it's integrity.
I don’t know that. And you don’t know that. Although you can have your opinion on the matter.

God said he would protect His word. For me that is knowing. It's knowing because I act on that belief as if it were absolute truth. My job is not to make you believe anything.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Starman
.. if the Bible is inspired then God would supernaturally protect it's integrity.

Your god may have allowed Bible to be corrupted

What has your god allowed?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All you know is a book penned by man
and of dubious credibility.

Is there any christIan here that can prove
All other Gods are false.?

Why are your mental fabrications of a God
any more credible than anyone else's..?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Since you brought it up, baldhunter...

What began as a mass of ever-embellished verbal stories in Aramaic and other languages is finally collected in about the year 600, with about a third of them being discarded or rejected before being written down in ancient Greek. Later dubiously translated into ancient Latin and even more centuries later into Chaucerian English, early German, and other languages. Then continually revised, re-translated, abridged, and essentially re-written from scratch.

Until today, we are told to accept it word for word. (Coming soon: The Bible in Ebonics!)

But it’s the WORD OF GOD, they say. So is the Quran, the Talmud, as well as the texts of Buddhism, Taoism, and at least a dozen other “isms” of the thousands of other religions practiced in history and around the globe. Is yours the one and only “right” religion? Yes, say the believers of each and every one of them. Is your book the one and only word of god? Yes, say the believers of each and every one of them.

Foolish, quite foolish.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
God said he would protect His word. For me that is knowing. It's knowing because I act on that belief as if it were absolute truth.
Did God say that...? Or did the psalmist say that when he was praising God...? Your opinion, and what you choose to believe, factors in as well.
My job is not to make you believe anything.
Don’t know where that even came from. Regardless, what we have now was put together by a bunch of 4th century guys who were trying to cobble together something that would suit an Emperor who was establishing a State Religion. Did God watch over that and make sure that we have what He wanted us to have...?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I was referring to the books themselves as being ‘inspired’ by God. But, I ‘do’ think that your opinions or inspirations on these matters are just as valid as anyone else’s are.

I hear you, but a man's work, inspired by God, is still man's work. How does one know that Paul wasn't crazier than 3 sheithouse rats? Paul could have been an earlier version of Charley Manson. I'm assuming they were less tethered in the day? Perhaps the inspiration came from Satan? How do you you, I or anyone know? Does God show the one inspired a photo ID?

I don't know, no one knows, so any possibility is as likely or unlikely as any other one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We could read from the First Book of Ezra - except that it was one that the Synod of Hippo "voted out" of the Bible.
If the Bible is inspired by God, and one of its books got “voted out” by man, does that negate the rest of it...? If the Bible is inspired by God, and one of its books got ”voted out” by man, does that mean that all of the rest of it is no longer inspired by God...?
It was decided by people who had the authority to judge and were deemed worthy of having that authority passed on to them through apostolic succession.
The actual inclusion was based on 4 criteria:
Apostolic Origin - attributed to and/or based on the preaching/teaching of the first-generation apostles (or their closest companions).
Universal Acceptance - acknowledged by all major Christian communities in the Mediterranean world (by the end of the fourth century).
Liturgical Use - read publicly along with the OT when early Christians gathered for the Lord’s Supper (their weekly worship services).
Consistent Message - containing theological ideas compatible with other accepted Christian writings (incl. the divinity and humanity Jesus).
Two other criteria that make themselves apparent by the selections were that the book be universally applicable and also that it make a unique contribution. For example, The Shepherd of Hermas was a candidate for inclusion, but was decided that it was private revelation and not universally applicable plus it didn't contain anything that wasn't found elsewhere. This doesn't mean that the Shepherd of Hermas is a bad book to read, but it's unnecessary. You could put the great Didache in the same group. Although it was universal in application, it didn't fit the uniqueness along with not being used in liturgy.

You could get good answers to these questions by reading one or both books I referenced.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hear you, but a man's work, inspired by God, is still man's work.
I don’t disagree with that.
I don't know, no one knows, so any possibility is as likely or unlikely as any other one.
We’re men. We choose what we think is right, and move forward with it. To me, whether one believes that Jesus was the Son of God or not, following His teachings will make one’s life better....and it will make one better at life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RR - although I may not agree that humans deify EVERYTHING, I do understand your point here and also understand that which you posted earlier about the "development" (quotes mine) of the Scriptures. I don't intend to argue any of the broad or finer points in this thread,

I do appreciate what you have posted because it seems to call attention to the major concept and factor alive in many who would take a position opposite to some of yours. Faith is not quantifiable in any sense, and it is mysterious to many. In the case of those for whom it is not the key driver in such beliefs, it may even be unfathomable. If you have it, use it. If you don't, use something else.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tyrone
It was decided by people who had the authority to judge and were deemed worthy of having that authority passed on to them through apostolic succession.
Then they took that Bible out of the hands of the common man and chained it to the alter, and forbid any common man from having a Bible, or even reading a Bible for himself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starman
All you know is a book penned by man
and of dubious credibility. Not all that I know.

Is there any christIan here that can prove
All other Gods are false.? I think not.

Why are your mental fabrications of a God
any more credible than anyone else's..? My belief in God is not more credible in the eyes and minds of many humans.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Then they took that Bible out of the hands of the common man and chained it to the alter, and forbid any common man from having a Bible, or even reading a Bible for himself.
Again, you should read one of those books so you can avoid embarrassing yourself in the future.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Again, you should read one of those books so you can avoid embarrassing yourself in the future.
laffin’

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Inspired by God is a claim made by man.

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,219
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.