These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Predestination - The vast majority of the most respected theologians believe in it.
So what...? To me, their relationship with God is no more legitimate than anyone else’s is. The “most respected theologians” of Jesus’ day were the Pharisees and the Sadducees. He made it pretty clear what His opinion of their theology was.
It’s not a heaven or hell issue.
Agreed.

Antlers, with all due respect, to say "so what" about the conclusions of Augustine, Thomas Aquinas, Martin Luther, John Calvin, and Jonathan Edwards, is a reckless statement. Predestination could very well be the only deep theological debate that they all agree on. To not take seriously the one issue they all agree upon is dangerous. Also, if you completely read through all of Paul's epistles with the sole purpose of determining how he would answer the question, I guarantee the only conclusion that you will come to is that Paul is teaching predestination.

Heaven and hell issue - it can quickly become one if Man believes he is responsible in any way for his salvation.

Please take the time to listen to RC link posted above.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by jaguartx
HE never said some are predestined to heaven or that some are predestined to hell. That would not be just. It would be unjust.

Just = we are all sentenced to hell for our sin.

Grace = Some were predestined for salvation.

If you don't believe God is capable of choosing some and not others then you haven't read the Bible.

Man is incapable of seeking God without first God breathing life in them. Therefore to all who knock the door will be open, but you will never knock unless drawn by God.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Antlers, with all due respect, to say "so what" about the conclusions of Augustine, Thomas Aquinas, Martin Luther, John Calvin, and Jonathan Edwards, is a reckless statement. Predestination could very well be the only deep theological debate that they all agree on. To not take seriously the one issue they all agree upon is dangerous. Also, if you completely read through all of Paul's epistles with the sole purpose of determining how he would answer the question, I guarantee the only conclusion that you will come to is that Paul is teaching predestination.
I got no problem with whatever you choose to believe. I’m cool with it.
Heaven and hell issue - it can quickly become one if Man believes he is responsible in any way for his salvation.
To me, ‘accepting’ and “responsible” are two completely different things. To me, ‘accepting’ isn’t ‘earning’.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by IZH27

Does it matter? Yes. It’s the most controversial subject in Christian doctrine. The division is the question of whether we are helping God save us or whether we recognize that God saves us without our help. It’s the idea of something earned vs a gift. The scripture has much to say about salvation being a gift and much to say about it not being earned.

Thats how I read it.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
What do you think?

A lot of things have happened to me that did not seem so good at the time.
[Linked Image from lswministries.files.wordpress.com]

I woke up this morning with a toothache and an ingrown toenail. I ain't complaining, but you'll need to ask me later what I think about this verse.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grace = Some were predestined for salvation.
And following the theology of Calvin, eternal damnation is predestined for others, before they were even born. To me, there’s ‘nothing’ morally right about that.
If you don't believe God is capable of choosing some and not others then you haven't read the Bible.
To me, “capable” doesn’t mean ‘He does.’

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Antlers,

I hear you brother. Its a tough subject. There is plenty of scripture than can be described as harsh and "nothing morally right about it". I listened to an atheist describe his quest to understand the Bible. He decided to hand write it in order to not miss a word. Afterwards he was even more entrenched in his atheism. His response was there is no way he could worship a God as cruel as the one described in the Bible. Though this guy is not a believer, he did understand that aspect of the Bible more than 99% of "Christians". I'm not insinuating God is cruel, but that justice and wrath can be easily mistaken.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Many doctrinal idiots have weighed in here with their considered expert opinions as to what scripture says. You have only proven that a wordsmith can make scripture mean anything he wants. The greatest thing you could ever learn from scripture,is not some secret God revealed in a book of his exact infallible words,but the fact that he can work with any idiot willing to give it a go.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
‘Somebody’ needs some carbs.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Also, if you completely read through all of Paul's epistles with the sole purpose of determining how he would answer the question, I guarantee the only conclusion that you will come to is that Paul is teaching predestination.
Paul, again. The overbearing deluded usurper and obviously a Roman agent. He corrupted Jesus' teaching so much it is hard to know where to start. Did Jesus teach predestination? Explicitly?

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey guys,

This topic was hot back in the 80s when I exposed myself to weekly teachings from a Calvinist.
It was confusing trying to reconcile T.U.L.I.P. with the gospel of salvation from hell.

I realized a couple of basic things that had to be fully grasped. After that all the same issues became clear as a cloudless day.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The only thing that has ever become clear to me,is that no one has ever changed their mind in these so called discussions. All anyone wants is to give their opinion and whoever is the loudest usually considers himself the winner.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Hastings
Paul, again. The overbearing deluded usurper and obviously a Roman agent. He corrupted Jesus' teaching so much it is hard to know where to start. Did Jesus teach predestination? Explicitly?

The entire Bible is the word of God.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
The only thing that has ever become clear to me,is that no one has ever changed their mind in these so called discussions. All anyone wants is to give their opinion and whoever is the loudest usually considers himself the winner.

My mind was changed through reading and study of the Word. You can't pick a verse here and there. Read through the Bible with the sole purpose of answering this question. The answer will become clear. The Bible is what changes mind.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm just checking in for a minute.
Later, if anyone wants a very clear and concise answer from the Word of God, you will receive it.
I will not convince some. That is understandable.
I just got done studying the end of chapter 6 in John.
Jesus Himself explained something very clearly and even many of His own disciples were offended and left Him. I will not debate. The Bible speaks for itself.
I simply want to share a blessing to anyone who wants one.

Pray for discernment and understanding until later.

Blessings

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Even if some of it was written by someone who never knew Jesus (Yeshua) and refuted Jesus teachings? There is a Paul in every organization.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Even if some of it was written by someone who never knew Jesus (Yeshua) and refuted Jesus teachings? There is a Paul in every organization.

Yes sir, the entire Bible is the inerrant Word of God.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

My mind was changed through reading and study of the Word. You can't pick a verse here and there. Read through the Bible with the sole purpose of answering this question. The answer will become clear. The Bible is what changes mind.

Well said.

When I find myself baffled as to how God’s word seems to contradict itself I have to assume it’s my problem not His.

Creator/creature stuff and all.

There is so much to learn from seeking to get a view of the thrust of scripture from 40k feet vs dissecting it verse by verse.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by antlers
His blood was shed for all.
^^^This.^^^

To me, He died for the sins of ‘all’ of the people, in ‘all’ of the world...’not’ just some of em’.

Well, according to some, He wasted His blood on some who had no chance of having their sins washed away, unless they had their sins washed away and are going to Hell anyway. whistle

You are the only one in this thread championing that idea. You introduced the straw man and then defend him without addressing scripture which deals with the issue. Not an intellectually honest way to approach scripture, ignoring, denying or avoiding the things that are difficult to understand.

Page 10 of 26 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

205 members (358wsm, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 280shooter, 26 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,892
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.