Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 26 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 25 26
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

You can learn a lot about God and humans by reading the Bible but if God is alive today,he's still talking and wants to lead you specifically. Too many times we seek direction from what has been said and that's not necessarily bad at all,but you have specific problems and live in a different time that requires specific direction. I would be much more interested to hear what God is telling you ,than have you tell me what he told someone else.

The problem with "listening to what God has to tell us" is that we are humans and there is an undeniable overwhelming tendency to hear what we want to hear. Which is why I always say, if you want to hear what God has to say read the Bible. "Listening to what God has to Say" is very subjective and dangerous. Very few will "hear" the same. The Bible is never changing, solid as a rock. The Bible is God's word.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_H_Clark
If indeed God is alive in you, why must you only repeat what He told someone else 2000 years ago?
The Jesus I know is not bound by the covers of a book. He can reveal Himself in any manner He chooses.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by antlers
The Jesus I know is not bound by the covers of a book. He can reveal Himself in any manner He chooses.

Absolutely. I'm staring out the Window looking at Jesus and God as I type. I see them in everything, revealing themselves continually. But only take instruction from the Bible. I do not trust what I "hear". I do not trust what you "hear". The Bible is complete. I am certain homosexuals "hear" their lifestyle is okay with God, as does the habitual adulterer. Same with the drunk, the corrupt, the cult leader, etc. etc. But wait, I am an exception. Everything I hear God say is pure and correct. As a wise old man told me, "son, everybody thinks they are an exception. You are no exception".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ctsmith
I understand that perfectly. I operated that way for nearly 20 years. The question then you need to ask yourself is,"Can God speak to me separately,one on one today,rather than me getting all my answers from what he told somebody else 2000 years ago.
I'm not saying that what God said to them isn't true or relevant. What I'm saying is that you need specific instruction for your life from God today, rather than trying to live it according to what he told somebody else. The whole purpose of the whole Bible is for you to understand that you can have a one on one with God,in fact that's what he wants.
If you want to find God and understand your purpose,look inward and search for the real truth about everything.

Clark, with all due respect, God told those 2000 years ago exactly what he tells people today. The Bible hasn't changed, not one word. Want to hear what God has to say? Read the Bible.
That may be what you meant. If so I apologize.
It is good to remember the bible was compiled and edited by fallible men. The original dialogue quoted in the New Testament was spoken in Aramaic or Hebrew and translated into Greek at some point and now we have our English versions. It is interesting to me that some writings were lost or ditched and there are obvious insertions in places. The Roman church had custody of the bible for a long time and while they couldn't easily monkey with the Old Testament they certainly could bend the New to their own use and advantage. That said, it seems that Jesus' core message survived.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
elf, I should have said, First chance.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Absolutely. I'm staring out the Window looking at Jesus and God as I type. I see them in everything, revealing themselves continually.
word
But only take instruction from the Bible. I do not trust what I "hear". I do not trust what you "hear". The Bible is complete.
To me, the Bible is NOT the foundation of the Christian faith. It wasn’t for early first century followers of Jesus (when the Bible didn’t even exist), and it’s not now. To me, the Bible exists ‘because of’ Christianity...Christianity doesn’t exist ‘because of’ the Bible.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Hastings
It is good to remember the bible was compiled and edited by fallible men. The original dialogue quoted in the New Testament was spoken in Aramaic or Hebrew and translated into Greek at some point and now we have our English versions. It is interesting to me that some writings were lost or ditched and there are obvious insertions in places. The Roman church had custody of the bible for a long time and while they couldn't easily monkey with the Old Testament they certainly could bend the New to their own use and advantage. That said, it seems that Jesus' core message survived.

I believe the Bible is inerrant. If any piece of scripture can be broke, then the whole Bible can be unwound. Then who becomes the authority? Sorry Hastings, not you, but me neither.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Has there ever, been a better Book?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
To me, the Bible is NOT the foundation of the Christian faith. It wasn’t for early first century followers of Jesus (when the Bible didn’t even exist), and it’s not now...not to me. To me, the Bible exists ‘because of’ Christianity...Christianity doesn’t exist ‘because of’ the Bible.

The Bible is very very clear that it is the Word of God, which has to be considered at least part of the foundation.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
heard a guy say on the radio the other day, non-christians like to say that Jesus was a nice guy, spiritual, a lot of good teaching. but, if he claimed to be the Son of God, and really wasn't, is he still "good"?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'll let someone else field that.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
To me, the Bible is NOT the foundation of the Christian faith. It wasn’t for early first century followers of Jesus (when the Bible didn’t even exist), and it’s not now. To me, the Bible exists ‘because of’ Christianity...Christianity doesn’t exist ‘because of’ the Bible.

Christ followed the Old Testament, promoted others to do the same, and began the teachings which are documented in the New Testament. So, a big part of the Bible as we know it today was not discounted by Jesus and is a fundamental piece of Christianity

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To me, the Bible is NOT the foundation of the Christian faith. It wasn’t for early first century followers of Jesus (when the Bible didn’t even exist), and it’s not now...not to me. To me, the Bible exists ‘because of’ Christianity...Christianity doesn’t exist ‘because of’ the Bible.
The Bible may not be the foundation of the Christian faith, but it is very very clear that it is the Word of God.
I believe it to be inspired.
I believe the Bible is inerrant. If any piece of scripture can be broke, then the whole Bible can be unwound.
To me, that’s not so. I don’t have to believe the literal Genesis creation account, or the literal account of Noah and the Ark, or the literal account of Jonah and the great fish...in order for me to believe, wholeheartedly, the Gospel. My faith in Jesus is not dependent on an inerrant Bible, nor does my relationship with Him require me to believe things that simply are not true.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

You can learn a lot about God and humans by reading the Bible but if God is alive today,he's still talking and wants to lead you specifically. Too many times we seek direction from what has been said and that's not necessarily bad at all,but you have specific problems and live in a different time that requires specific direction. I would be much more interested to hear what God is telling you ,than have you tell me what he told someone else.

The problem with "listening to what God has to tell us" is that we are humans and there is an undeniable overwhelming tendency to hear what we want to hear. Which is why I always say, if you want to hear what God has to say read the Bible. "Listening to what God has to Say" is very subjective and dangerous. Very few will "hear" the same. The Bible is never changing, solid as a rock. The Bible is God's word.

There is somewhat of a safety in basing your decisions in what God told others to do. The problem with it however is that you are left with a book of directions and examples of what God did long ago rather than a living God in you. Read Hebrews for example.The entire theme is that there is no longer any boundary between you and God. What good is it for God to provide a way for you to stand in his presence guilt free but you would rather just read an account of what he told somebody else to do?

The usefulness of the scriptures is not as a book of God's words to you,but as a book that reveals to you a way that you can hear from God for yourself. Yes,nobody will hear the same but that's the point. Your problems and weaknesses are completely different from mine. There's no danger for the seeker of truth. There's no danger of being wrong for he who seeks what is right. Follow peace,love,joy,goodness,all of what the bible calls fruit of the Spirit and your path is always sure. The real danger is when we stand up and declare that we know God because we have read the book. Therein lies pride. I'm not telling you to throw away your bible. I'm telling you the bible is the path,rather than the destination.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WTM45
Christ followed the Old Testament, promoted others to do the same, and began the teachings which are documented in the New Testament. So, a big part of the Bible as we know it today was not discounted by Jesus and is a fundamental piece of Christianity.
To me, Jesus was raised the Jew that He was. He knew the Law and the Prophets, and discussed them with His followers...ALL of whom were Jews. Up until that time, the Old Covenant was all they had, and it was all they’d known. But Jesus ushered in something brand new. The Old Covenant was made between God and the nation of Israel. Whereas Jesus’ New Covenant was made between God and all of the people in all of the world. Jesus fulfilled this Old Covenant, rendering it completed...“It is finished” meant just that...and He ushered in His New Covenant. Jesus’ New Covenant is what is in effect now. The appearance of Jesus and His ekklesia was intertwined with the history which had preceded it, and the Law and the Prophets were preserved for Christians in what became the Old Testament in the Christian Bible.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
To me, Jesus was raised the Jew that He was. He knew the Law and the Prophets, and discussed them with His followers...ALL of whom were Jews. Up until that time, the Old Covenant was all they had, and it was all they’d known. But Jesus ushered in something brand new. The Old Covenant was made between God and the nation of Israel. Whereas Jesus’ New Covenant was made between God and all of the people in all of the world. Jesus fulfilled this Old Covenant, rendering it completed...“It is finished” meant just that...and He ushered in His New Covenant. Jesus’ New Covenant is what is in effect now. The appearance of Jesus and His ekklesia was intertwined with the history which had preceded it, and the Law and the Prophets were preserved for Christians in what became the Old Testament in the Christian Bible.

I'm in agreement with that as well, except that not all of Christ's audience was Jewish or Israelites.
But what is your basis for discounting the Bible as a "foundation" of Christianity? Yes the OT was fulfilled, but its words are still integral to belief and faith. As a historical record alone it carries many fundamental beliefs, and the words of the prophets foretold what was to come.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
To me, that’s not so. I don’t have to believe the literal Genesis creation account, or the literal account of Noah and the Ark, or the literal account of Jonah and the great fish...in order for me to believe, wholeheartedly, the Gospel. My faith in Jesus is not dependent on an inerrant Bible, nor does my relationship with Him require me to believe things that simply are not true.

I play it safe. I know (and you do to) what happens when man is given any sort leeway. We always will twist it to fit our objective (whether its the Bible or anything else). Its human nature. I am no exception.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
sse, Moses is a profit, and a "Good Guy, Jesus is Lord God.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

I play it safe. I know (and you do to) what happens when man is given any sort leeway. We always will twist it to fit our objective (whether its the Bible or anything else). Its human nature. I am no exception.

Then what makes you think that exact twist didn't happen in translation or the writing down of direct revelation of the text you follow as inerrant? I think it a better testament of God's power that he can get the the message across despite any fallacy, rather than that he could cause humans to be infallible in this one area.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

There is somewhat of a safety in basing your decisions in what God told others to do. The problem with it however is that you are left with a book of directions and examples of what God did long ago rather than a living God in you. Read Hebrews for example.The entire theme is that there is no longer any boundary between you and God. What good is it for God to provide a way for you to stand in his presence guilt free but you would rather just read an account of what he told somebody else to do?

The usefulness of the scriptures is not as a book of God's words to you,but as a book that reveals to you a way that you can hear from God for yourself. Yes,nobody will hear the same but that's the point. Your problems and weaknesses are completely different from mine. There's no danger for the seeker of truth. There's no danger of being wrong for he who seeks what is right. Follow peace,love,joy,goodness,all of what the bible calls fruit of the Spirit and your path is always sure. The real danger is when we stand up and declare that we know God because we have read the book. Therein lies pride. I'm not telling you to throw away your bible. I'm telling you the bible is the path,rather than the destination.

Question - God revealed to the local Methodist Church to allow gay pastors. What say you?

Page 14 of 26 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

301 members (2500HD, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 26 invisible), 1,868 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,010
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.