Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 26 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 25 26
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by IZH27
Then therein may lie the problem. You keep making the same comment propping up double predestination as a straw man. You say that you haven’t studied theology just contemplating scripture based on a rudimentary knowledge.

Based on reading the thread there isn’t one person posting who hasn’t been influenced in the negative by bad theology. I include myself in that number. Modern Christian doctrine in America is strongly influenced by Charles Finney and Wesley’s Christian perfection doctrine. Works based salvation.

If you are truly looking to understand scriptural teaching on predestination a good starting point is to read a few papers online that contrast “the doctrine of glory” with “the doctrine of the cross”.

Sòme intelligent saved men say dont read a scripture and go by it, but read the whole and add up what it means.

Others say, dont come up and say what you think it means and get out of it, but go by scripture and show it.

Sheesh. Cant win for losing with youse guys. whistle

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
When we get to Heaven, I'll look around to see if Paul is in a pup tent. laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Originally Posted by jaguartx
”From infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for instruction, for conviction, for correction, and for training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be complete, fully equipped for every good work.”
Paul wrote that. It doesn't count.
It counts if ya’ want it to. It doesn’t have to count if ya’ don’t want it to.

Sorry man, I can't give you that one. We can't pick and choose scripture based on what we want to believe. No sir.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Thanks good men we may be preaching to the choir, better than no preaching at all.

I find this compares well with hunters around a campfire discussing different aspects of their hunt for the "turdy point buck".

Mine had 28 (before 4 were broken off). smirk

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/02/20.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry man, I can't give you that one. We can't pick and choose scripture based on what we want to believe. No sir.
That’s OK. I’m cool with whatever you choose to believe. To me, in addition to Essential Beliefs, we have liberty in Non-Essential Beliefs.
“...without passing judgment on disputable matters… Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master servants stand or fall… So then each of us will give an account of ourselves to God… So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God.”
Romans 14:1, 4, 12, 22
One’s salvation does NOT depend on believing in Noah and the Ark (for example). Nor does one’s salvation depend on believing in everything that Paul said (for example).

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WhiteTail48
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by WhiteTail48
Originally Posted by DBT
Belief relating to the god of the bible underwent modifications over time, the god of early OT times is not the same as later times, and quite different to the NT descriptions. People create their gods in the images of their hopes, fears and desires. Which still happens.

Completely wrong! God never changes.

“I am the Lord, I do not change.” Malachi 3:6. Men change, God doesn’t. For 4,000 years, the Jews represent a memorial to the unchanging nature of God.

God has always been, and always will be, and will always remain the same. Men either follow God or follow their own devices.

Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever. Hebrews 13:8

That belief about the nature of God changed over time is not wrong. It is there for anyone to see and read. A tribal god, a god of war (verses say this) morphed into a God of Love. There are clear and undeniable differences in the nature of god between books.

To deny this requires cherry picking of verses, ignoring verses that do not conform with one's preferred image of God.

Just keep following your own devices. Atta boy.

It's not about me or what I do. I was talking about the bible and what it says. You turn the focus onto me in order to avoid dealing with what the bible says, a common tactic when it comes to inconvenient truth.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Just Love back!

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
RC, she is splendid at that as well. Missy is the only glue holding our leaky ship together.

No offense, but me thinks she may have forgotten or rejected one or two scriptures.

If one rejects one scripture, do they not reject Him? I dont know because i am also often inclined to lean on my own understanding (feelings?).

How many scriptures are we allowed to ignore, reject or overlook, before our house is not built on the Rock?
I would consider not how well someone knows scripture, not their wonderful desire or devine intent, but I would consider that HE made woman different than man and HE had a plan, a path, you might say, that is narrow.

I also know that HE said HE does not abide in a woman instructing a man. Now, to preach scriptutre, does not necessarily involve instructing men, but if a woman preacher is counseling people with problems i expect there is some recommendations going on.

It does make some uncomfortable. Just my take.

I Dindo Nuffin
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Just Love back!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
[quote=antlers]Sorry man, I can't give you that one. We can't pick and choose scripture. No way.
That’s OK. I’m cool with whatever you choose to believe. To me, in addition to Essential Beliefs, we have liberty in Non-Essential Beliefs.
“...without passing judgment on disputable matters… Who are you to judge someone else’s servant? To their own master servants stand or fall… So then each of us will give an account of ourselves to God… So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God.”
Romans 14:1, 4, 12, 22

Its not up to me to change anyones mind. Thats the Father's job.

But I have to ask, and I am not trying to sound condemning. But have you read the Bible lately? Not a verse here and a verse there, but the Bible from cover to cover? If not I challenge you to do so. It can be transforming. If you have, well there's no hope for you. grin

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s not up to me to change anyones mind.
Nor am I out to change anyone’s mind. We’re just discussing subject matter of mutual interest on a discussion forum.
But I have to ask, and I am not trying to sound condemning. But have you read the Bible lately? Not a verse here and a verse there, but the Bible from cover to cover?
Yes. But I don’t worship the Bible.

Christianity would still be true if every Bible and manuscript in the world were non-existent. To me, the foundation of Christianity is not a collection of ancient writings we call the Bible. To me, the foundation of Christianity is the reality of God and the historicity of Jesus, His life and teachings, His death, and especially His Resurrection. In fact, the New Testament wouldn’t even exist unless the Resurrection occurred. So, to me, while all of the Bible can help us to more fully understand God and and follow Jesus, we don’t need all of the Bible to understand its most important message—the Gospel.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Just Love back!

So, can love allow practicing homosexuals to pastor a church?

Are we to assume HE was wrong on this occasion or on several occasions?

Are we supposed to over look things like this or, as HE said, use the scriptures for instruction and correction?

How many mothers with love overlooked the crimes of their husbands or children to the detriment or dismay of others.

I know that you, and evidently many others in the church are ok with this arrangement. Is this leading others to accept Gods words were sometimes in error?

How many are uncomfortable with this?

How many prospective members looking for a church home will be diverted by this?

Im sure Margaret Thatcher was a great world leader regarding conservative Christian values. Was she the camels nose under the tent? Look a the female world leaders we have today.

Many will come in my name. Take care that yee be not decieved. The way is narrow...

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WTM45
What is your basis for discounting the Bible as the "foundation" of Christianity?
Those first century followers of Jesus didn’t even have the Bible, because the Bible didn’t even exist yet. But Jesus’ movement made some great strides early on ‘without’ a Bible. Jewish Christians didn’t have their lives changed by the Old Testament books that they’d been reading and studying and living by for their entire lives...! The Apostles didn’t become emboldened and stand up to the very power structure that had Jesus crucified because they were motivated by the Old Testament books that they’d been reading and studying their entire lives...! And Saul, who was the Pharisee of Pharisees, who was expert at the books of the Old Testament...and lived his life according to them...didn’t become the Apostle Paul due to those Old Testament books that his entire life was centered on...! Jesus’ Apostles...who hid and were scared after Jesus was executed...later made a remarkable change. They became emboldened, they faced and defied the very people who had Jesus crucified. It WASN’T the Old Testament that brought about this change in them, and it WASN’T any New Testament documents (which hadn’t even been written yet) that brought about this change in them. They were emboldened by something they had seen with their own eyes. They saw Jesus killed. And a few days later they had breakfast with Him on the beach...! They ALL experienced the risen Jesus. THAT is what changed their lives. For me, the faith of Christianity is tethered to the event of the Resurrection rather than the authority and inspiration or infallibility or inerrancy of the Bible. The Bible did not create Christianity. The Bible did not birth Jesus’ Church. For me, the faith is anchored to the event (the Resurrection) that sparked the movement (the Church) that brought us the Bible. To me, Christianity began on the very first Easter morning with an empty tomb...!
These people were closest to Jesus. They followed Him, they lived with Him, they learned directly from Him, and they literally ‘experienced’ life with Him while He was on earth. The foundation of *their* faith, to me, *is* the foundation of the Christian faith.

I see what you are saying, antlers.
I respectfully disagree in part. I agree with the faith in the death, burial and resurrection being the source of that new birth, and relationship with God.
Certainly there's no true church without the Living Word. I couldn't put it better myself. 👍

Since then, I believe that we have the most highly documented ancient collection of books and manuscripts due to the Divine actions of God.
The disciples and Jesus preached from the O.T. and later the Better Testament was given as the additional Scriptures.....ending complete with Revelation.

The part of difference is the place of the Bible in the continuation of churches. There's been a trail of martyrs blood throughout history by those who held to Scripture over the teachings of the established state "Universal Church."
I was taught by Catholicism that traditions, vatican councils, Popes speaking excathedra were at a highly trustworthy level as revelation from God. I think that these are put on equal trust with the Bible, which should be interpreted according to official church teaching. When I got saved, I came to place more and more faith in the trustworthy Bible. I am not a follower of that religion or the "Father/pope" either in case anybody is wondering. I don't think that you do either antlers.... unless you correct me.

How do we know and everyone else know of the Savior if not from God's inspired, inerrant Word? We would be left with oral traditions, church "fathers", current "fathers/popes", councils, and mainstream "Universal Church" officially allowed interpretation of Scripture.

God gave us His Word so we could have a clear trustworthy document of the all important Savior Who was tortured and died on our behalf and after three days arise bodily.....seen of hundreds of eye witnesses who could testify of that fact to all sceptics of that generation. I trust Him BECAUSE of His supernatural Word. That is how we today can have the same power and relationship with the Lord as the disciples who saw the Savior in person.

"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

My Church is built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ being the Chief Corner Stone. We know and see Him and them from the Bible don't we?

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
…15From infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.

16ALL SCRIPTURE is God-breathed and is useful for instruction, for conviction, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be complete, fully equipped for every good work.

The scripture is GOD'S written message to those who would be HIS. It is what you have known from birth and what some have rejected or forgotten in written, transportable, transferrable form.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
How do we know and everyone else know of the Savior if not from God's inspired, inerrant Word?
To me, just because one can learn about math from a math book doesn’t place the importance on the math book to the neglect of the math itself...the math still exists apart from the math book. Just because one can learn about history from a history book doesn’t place the importance on the history book to the neglect of the history itself...the history still exists apart from the history book. And just because one can learn about Jesus from the Bible doesn’t place the importance on the Bible to the neglect of Jesus Himself...Jesus ‘still’ exists apart from the Bible.
Your birth certificate tells of your birth, but you don’t exist ‘because of’ your birth certificate, your birth certificate exists ‘because of’ you. You would ‘still’ exist even if you had no birth certificate.
The Bible tells of the Savior, but the Savior doesn’t exist ‘because of’ the Bible, the Bible exists ‘because of’ the Savior. The Savior would ‘still’ exist even if there were no Bible.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How do we know and everyone else know of the Savior if not from God's inspired, inerrant Word?
To me, just because one can learn about math from a math book doesn’t place the importance on the math book to the neglect of the math itself...the math still exists apart from the math book. Just because one can learn about history from a history book doesn’t place the importance on the history book to the neglect of the history itself...the history still exists apart from the history book. And just because one can learn about Jesus from the Bible doesn’t place the importance on the Bible to the neglect of Jesus Himself...Jesus ‘still’ exists apart from the Bible.
Your birth certificate tells of your birth, but you don’t exist ‘because of’ your birth certificate, your birth certificate exists ‘because of’ you. You would ‘still’ exist even if you had no birth certificate.

Certainly true that He exists and has always existed before the N.T. I appreciate your candor in explaining your position. I wasn't sure before.

I think that He spoke to the first people directly, like Adam, Eve and their children. We know of many others too. After the first written scriptures, there were miracles confirming their veracity. As time went on there were Judges and prophets. It just seems like the Lord thought that the written Word was extremely important. 2 Peter 1:17 comes to mind .

"For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.And this voice which came from heaven we heard, when we were with him in the holy mount.
We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation."

We certainly don't worship the Bible, but there's psalm 119 and other famous passages of how valuable it's wisdom is and supernaturally speaks to us by His Holy Spirit for example.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...there's psalm 119 and other famous passages of how valuable it's wisdom is and supernaturally speaks to us by His Holy Spirit for example.
Hey man, I don’t disagree with any of that.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
The only thing that has ever become clear to me,is that no one has ever changed their mind in these so called discussions. All anyone wants is to give their opinion and whoever is the loudest usually considers himself the winner.

Ive read some enlightening scripture i hadnt remembered.

I had forgotten some of this. The scripture is good for correction. Humm.

From infancy you have known.... Humm.,

…15From infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for instruction, for conviction, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be complete, fully equipped for every good work.

Just to be clear,I never said there was no use in reading or studying scripture.I have found much inspiration and wisdom in the Bible. What I said and stand by is that I don't think these forum discussions have ever accomplished much more than arguments.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RC, she is splendid at that as well. Missy is the only glue holding our leaky ship together.

No offense, but me thinks she may have forgotten or rejected one or two scriptures.

If one rejects one scripture, do they not reject Him? I dont know because i am also often inclined to lean on my own understanding (feelings?).

How many scriptures are we allowed to ignore, reject or overlook, before our house is not built on the Rock?
I would consider not how well someone knows scripture, not their wonderful desire or devine intent, but I would consider that HE made woman different than man and HE had a plan, a path, you might say, that is narrow.

I also know that HE said HE does not abide in a woman instructing a man. Now, to preach scriptutre, does not necessarily involve instructing men, but if a woman preacher is counseling people with problems i expect there is some recommendations going on.

It does make some uncomfortable. Just my take.

I won't sit under a woman preacher it's not biblical. Homosexual preachers are unbiblical. Homosexual people can be in church hearing God's word just as any other sinner can, but not to preach. Give me a break folks!
As surely as God lives, Paul the apostle is in heaven. I'll not argue any of this. No one will persuade me differently.

Romans 5:1
Page 16 of 26 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

227 members (12344mag, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 375TN, 21 invisible), 1,658 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,973
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.