-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 26 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 25 26
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hastings doesn't like Paul, but we like Hastings. Let's pray on the matter.

Romans 5:1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Then,I would say you have sadly placed all your faith-trust in a book of rules,rather than in the living God.

I am totally depraved my man. The Bible is my guide. Guilty as charged. Meanwhile back at the gay church with a bikini offering, there are rumblings that since homosexuality is okay, that adultery should be too. I hear those offering girls are starting to get around. But their heart is their guide, so its all good.

What's so sad to me is that you don't understand your own guide. If you did understand you could see that you are operating under the Old Covenant. Just like them you believe that your life is to be guided by a set of written rules and when you break them you must look to the sacrifice for forgiveness as a path back into grace. Seriously think about that. It is a perfect description of the Old Covenant. In order to be born again,you have to understand what the New Covenant is.

The New Covenant doesn't forgive your sins by atonement. The New Covenant destroys sin by remission. Unless you understand that,you will remain ignorant and blind. The New Covenant doesn't forgive all who have sinned and fallen short. The New Covenant gives righteousness to all who believe,even if they don't obey the commandments.That's what the book you claim to follow tells you in Rom.3.

The new Covenant doesn't leave you totally depraved without a set of rules to base your righteousness on. The New Covenant transforms you into a new creation,totally blameless,all things are new and all things of God. At least that's what the book you claim to base your life on says. I suggest you read it sometime and actually try to understand it rather than just going by what somebody told you to believe.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Then,I would say you have sadly placed all your faith-trust in a book of rules,rather than in the living God.

I am totally depraved my man. The Bible is my guide. Guilty as charged. Meanwhile back at the gay church with a bikini offering, there are rumblings that since homosexuality is okay, that adultery should be too. I hear those offering girls are starting to get around. But their heart is their guide, so its all good.

What's so sad to me is that you don't understand your own guide. If you did understand you could see that you are operating under the Old Covenant. Just like them you believe that your life is to be guided by a set of written rules and when you break them you must look to the sacrifice for forgiveness as a path back into grace. Seriously think about that. It is a perfect description of the Old Covenant. In order to be born again,you have to understand what the New Covenant is.

The New Covenant doesn't forgive your sins by atonement. The New Covenant destroys sin by remission. Unless you understand that,you will remain ignorant and blind. The New Covenant doesn't forgive all who have sinned and fallen short. The New Covenant gives righteousness to all who believe,even if they don't obey the commandments.That's what the book you claim to follow tells you in Rom.3.

The new Covenant doesn't leave you totally depraved without a set of rules to base your righteousness on. The New Covenant transforms you into a new creation,totally blameless,all things are new and all things of God. At least that's what the book you claim to base your life on says. I suggest you read it sometime and actually try to understand it rather than just going by what somebody told you to believe.

Guilty as charged and everything you said goes against the scripture as I understand it. I'll stick with the Augustine, Thomas Aquinas, Martin Luther, John Calvin, and Jonathan Edwards interpretation.

And you still haven't answered the question without bouncing around. Its simple. According to you, is homosexual pastors okay? Yes or no?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Guilty as charged. I'll stick with Augustine, Thomas Aquinas, Martin Luther, John Calvin, and Jonathan Edwards. Are you Methodist? John Wesley is rolling in his grave.

And you still haven't answered the question without bouncing around. Its simple. According to you, is homosexual pastors okay? Yes or no?

Just like I said in the beginning of this discussion,you just want to feel that you are right. You have no interest in learning anything. I told you a great truth about the New Covenant VS the Old Covenant and you just totally dismissed it without even looking to your own rule book to see if what I told you was actually true. I won't reply to you again unless you come seeking an education.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Guilty as charged. I'll stick with Augustine, Thomas Aquinas, Martin Luther, John Calvin, and Jonathan Edwards. Are you Methodist? John Wesley is rolling in his grave.

Just like I said in the beginning of this discussion,you just want to feel that you are right. You have no interest in learning anything. I told you a great truth about the New Covenant VS the Old Covenant and you just totally dismissed it without even looking to your own rule book to see if what I told you was actually true. I won't reply to you again unless you come seeking an education.

Thats funny. Another dodge.

Gay pastors, yes or no?

Because I have studied the Bible and agree with most of the top theologians of all time, you concluded that I haven't studied the Bible? Connect those dots for me.

IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

From my observation of your conversation here both of you want to feel that you’re right, although I wouldn’t say that you “just” want that on either side. (I want to feel I’m right too, but I don’t “just” want that)

Sounds to me like, as in so many of these conversations, we have differing categories that make the nomenclature and semantics difficult to navigate requiring grace and a willingness to seek understanding on both sides.

Seems Clint’s question re: the ultimate authority on something like the ordination of same sex attracted men is a fair one and gets to an essential point. If one were ungracious we could assume that’s why you won’t answer it; I tend to believe having interacted with you over the years that you’re most likely talking passed one another and not understanding.

Seems also that RHC’s point concerning freedom under the NC is something to be considered even tho I, like Clint, recognize that an appreciation for those great men who have gone before doesn’t negate that fact but actually they had a great many good things to say about it which would likely reinforce at least some of RHC’s points.

The riches of the glory of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is far beyond individual men to relearn with each generation. Reflection upon the thoughts of great believers of the past is only a bad thing to the extent we lend it the authority only the HS (whose appointed means include the scriptures) should possess.

Grace and peace to all you brothers as you seek to know and follow God better! He is worthy of all blessing and honor and glory!

Last edited by efw; 09/04/20. Reason: Clarification in first paragraph
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter
People like to make things complicated.
^^^THIS^^^

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hastings, you believe different than every theologian past and present. Things that make you go hummmmmm.
I have no problem with the congruence of the whole bible until Paul intervenes. I am not anywhere near Paul's only detractor. But as to all these theologians, the path to destruction is wide and many take it. I take Jesus at his word.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by efw

From my observation of your conversation here both of you want to feel that you’re right, although I wouldn’t say that you “just” want that on either side. (I want to feel I’m right too, but I don’t “just” want that)

Sounds to me like, as in so many of these conversations, we have differing categories that make the nomenclature and semantics difficult to navigate requiring grace and a willingness to seek understanding on both sides.

Seems Clint’s question re: the ultimate authority on something like the ordination of same sex attracted men is a fair one and gets to an essential point. If one were ungracious we could assume that’s why you won’t answer it; I tend to believe having interacted with you over the years that you’re most likely talking passed one another and not understanding.

Seems also that RHC’s point concerning freedom under the NC is something to be considered even tho I, like Clint, recognize that an appreciation for those great men who have gone before doesn’t negate that fact but actually they had a great many good things to say about it which would likely reinforce at least some of RHC’s points.

The riches of the glory of the Gospel of Jesus Christ is far beyond individual men to relearn with each generation. Reflection upon the thoughts of great believers of the past is only a bad thing to the extent we lend it the authority only the HS (whose appointed means include the scriptures) should possess.

Grace and peace to all you brothers as you seek to know and follow God better! He is worthy of all blessing and honor and glory!

I appreciate that my friend. I haven't posted much here in a while and I'm sure a lot of that has to do with a heightened awareness of having less time to waste. For good or bad,that's probably why my responses seem so curt. My best you you all.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by antlers
^^^THIS^^^

I understand where you’re coming from on this. There is much joy to be had in the simple message that through Christ‘s sinless life, death, burial, & resurrection God has reestablished communion with His people! All we must do is see ourselves as we are and that message as “good news” to be included in that group.

I used this analogy earlier in the thread to address this so please forgive the repeat but I think it’s a fair comparison. I have been married to my wife for 21 years. What would it communicate to her if I’d have, after I “kissed the bride”, gone about my life as if that was the extent of my interest in her? Marriage was just the beginning for us; I love my wife dearly and as a result I want to know her better. Out of gratitude I seek to know how I can serve her in a way that makes her feel valued. What would it say about my love for God if I simply said “hey I’m forgiven and going to heaven that’s all I needed thanks”?

Getting in is simple as is staying in; God has done the work, praise His life giving name! But that doesn’t mean there isn’t great and rich complexity underlying it all. That doesn’t mean there aren’t mysteries that can’t be loved and adoringly searched by those grateful souls who have recognized grace for what it is and want to know their Heavenly Father better.

Writing such a desire off with an eye roll, “yeah you just like to complicate things” seems to miss this very important point.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
That doesn’t mean there aren’t mysteries that can’t be loved and adoringly searched by those grateful souls who have recognized grace for what it is and want to know their Heavenly Father better.
In Christian theology there’s this’ism and that’ism and a lot of other ism’s. If you choose to go down a certain path to gain a deeper relationship with, and understanding of God, then so be it. But the path ‘you’ choose to travel to achieve that is ‘not’ the ‘only’ path to travel to achieve that. Others also seek a closer walk with God, and desire to learn of Him even more. To think that the ‘only’ path to that is the one that ‘you’ have chosen is simply not true...more than a little bit. To think that “those grateful souls who have recognized grace for what it is and want to know their Heavenly Father better” ‘only’ accomplish that by going down the path that ‘you’ have chosen is also simply not true...and more than a little bit.
Originally Posted by efw
Writing such a desire off with an eye roll, “yeah you just like to complicate things” seems to miss this very important point.
That hasn’t been said, or done, on this thread.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Well perhaps we’re misreading one another because I took your “^^^THIS^^^” to Roger’s comment as just that, and I never said “mine” was the only anything either.

God and His ways are well beyond me. The more I know, the more I see all I just don’t know. Including, apparently, the meaning of a one word post giving an “amen” to a 6 word post.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I had a boss who quoted that all the time. Mainly to mean "God is in control so I can screw over anyone I want."

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
I had a boss who quoted that all the time. Mainly to mean "God is in control so I can screw over anyone I want."

Men can and will use anything and everything to take advantage of other men. One could say we’re totally depraved.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
^^^THIS^^^
Originally Posted by efw
I understand where you’re coming from on this.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
^^^THIS^^^
Originally Posted by efw
I understand where you’re coming from on this.

Thought I did but apparently I didn’t. I beg your pardon.

What did you mean then??

Last edited by efw; 09/04/20. Reason: ?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
What did you mean then??
Just what I said. There was no “eye roll” as you said there was; there was no “Writing such a desire off” as you said there was; and the “yeah you just like to complicate things” that you put in quotation marks didn’t even get said.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by efw
What did you mean then??
Just what I said. There was no “eye roll” as you said there was; there was no “Writing such a desire off” as you said there was; and the “yeah you just like to complicate things” that you put in quotation marks didn’t even get said.

I apologize then; wasn’t attempting to mischaracterize.

There does seem to be an underlying suspicion of those of us who find ourselves looking deeper into these things than others. Can you see where I could get that idea?

Am I completely reading that into what you’re saying or is that fair?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
I apologize then; wasn’t attempting to mischaracterize.
Accepted. 😎
Originally Posted by efw
There does seem to be an underlying suspicion of those of us who find ourselves looking deeper into these things than others.
Those of us who flat-out reject the theology of predestination (for example) aren’t suspicious of its proponents; we just don’t agree with em’ on this matter. Being a proponent of predestination (for example) doesn’t mean that you’ve looked deeper into it than its opponents have.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Antlers, one day the light bulb will come on. grin

I would love for you to take the time to listen to a "Chosen by God" series by RC Sproul then report back to us on your thoughts.

https://www.ligonier.org/learn/series/chosen_by_god/

Page 20 of 26 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

438 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,816
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.