DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by stxhunter
People like to make things complicated.
^^^THIS^^^

People like a lot of things....answers to questions that currently have no answers, life after death, reunion with loved ones, ultimate justice, etc.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ctsmith
Antlers, one day the light bulb will come on for you. grin
I already gotta wear shades...! 😎

I actually enjoy these discussions very much. Especially when folks participate with honesty and civility...most especially honesty. I think they ‘do’ do some good. I think they ‘do’ result in more than just arguments. I have learned a lot, and I have gained some valuable insight, from participation on these threads.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
The first century Christians did
have the bible... I believe a Christian could do just fine today with only the Old Testament and Matthew's account of Jesus.

James the brother of Jesus was an old school
Torah compliant Christian, which put him at odds
with Paul,.... Paul then got ostricised,/banished?
So he went away to start his own little spin off cult
which demanded far less of a person to become
a christian.
.. ALL of the early first century
Christians obtained knowledge of God and grew
spiritually outside of the Bible, which didn’t even
exist yet.

The Druid teachings were oral and had no
written reference, yet were able to spread
between ancient Britain and mainland Europe
and this despite the fact that unlike Christianity,
were by no means made so easily available to
the common man community at large.

Without the Bible, who is Jesus?

Or consider that with the Bible, the Jesus character
is shown not to meet the criteria of the Messiah
as decribed in OT prophecy.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Men can and will use anything and everything to take advantage of other men.

some do some don't

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Antlers, one day the light bulb will come on for you. grin
I already gotta wear shades...! 😎

I actually enjoy these discussions very much. Especially when folks participate with honesty and civility...most especially honesty. I think they ‘do’ do some good. I think they ‘do’ result in more than just arguments. I have learned a lot, and I have gained some valuable insight, from participation on these threads.

I agree.

Originally Posted by sse
Men can and will use anything and everything to take advantage of other men.

some do some don't

Correct sorry I ought to have said “mankind” as a more general reference to the race not all individuals you’re right.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by Ringman
Happy_Camper,

I started watching your posted movie. When they started trying to convince us Jesus changed His mind about baptism I turned it off. Jesus told us at the end of Matthew to make disciples by baptizing them. At the end of Mark Jesus told us one who believes and is baptized will be saved. Most certainly He the Creator of Salvation knows what He requires of His creation.

Ringman,

I'm trying to think of the places that you're talking about. Can you give me the minute mark on the movie and the exact references you are talking about? I think I know which matthew and mark quote, but need to be sure since there's so many versions that differ.
When I have time, I'll take a look at them.

I know of no Bible that changes the Words of Jesus at the end of Matthew or Mark. The three Bibles I used the most were the King James, The New King James and he New American Standard Bibles. When I was a new Christian I had ten version. Soon I narrowed them down to the three above. back to your movie: As soon as he stopped talking about "faith only". The next thing he started with was "faith plus works" and the first thing he mentioned was faith plus baptism. Not only do we have Jesus' Word about baptism we have examples throughout the Book Of Acts when someone became a believer.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hi Ringman.

I agree that we should do what Jesus requires of us.
Since I posted 2 movies, the first was, Eternal or Not.
The other was on the history of the New Testament .
I might be wrong but I'm guessing that you are referring to the first one. I don't remember where anyone said that Jesus changed His mind about baptism. There were lots of interviews so sorry that I missed that. Are you sure that it wasn't one of the introductory religions, since they went to source documents for everything explaining Morman beliefs to Budhism?

I'm using the KJV and looking at Matthew 28:19-20; Mark 16:15-20
I think that you are talking about 16:16
"And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;"

Do you believe that water baptism is a work required of the believer or baby for salvation?

I believe Jesus above everyone else. His Word is too clear to miss for the serious Bible student.

Baptism is like signing a check. If you receive a check in the mail as a gift for no reason, are you working to earn the money if you sign it and cash it?

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Guilty as charged. I'll stick with Augustine, Thomas Aquinas, Martin Luther, John Calvin, and Jonathan Edwards. Are you Methodist? John Wesley is rolling in his grave.

And you still haven't answered the question without bouncing around. Its simple. According to you, is homosexual pastors okay? Yes or no?

Just like I said in the beginning of this discussion,you just want to feel that you are right. You have no interest in learning anything. I told you a great truth about the New Covenant VS the Old Covenant and you just totally dismissed it without even looking to your own rule book to see if what I told you was actually true. I won't reply to you again unless you come seeking an education.

R H,

You are breaking my heart. One of the first things Jesus says is repent. Jesus says more than once, "If you love Me you will keep my commandments." James says, "Faith without works is dead." If someone does not display obedience to the New Testament, they can't be saved. Jesus says, "By their fruit you will know them."

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
That doesn’t mean there aren’t mysteries that can’t be loved and adoringly searched by those grateful souls who have recognized grace for what it is and want to know their Heavenly Father better.
In Christian theology there’s this’ism and that’ism and a lot of other ism’s. If you choose to go down a certain path to gain a deeper relationship with, and understanding of God, then so be it. But the path ‘you’ choose to travel to achieve that is ‘not’ the ‘only’ path to travel to achieve that. Others also seek a closer walk with God, and desire to learn of Him even more. To think that the ‘only’ path to that is the one that ‘you’ have chosen is simply not true...more than a little bit. To think that “those grateful souls who have recognized grace for what it is and want to know their Heavenly Father better” ‘only’ accomplish that by going down the path that ‘you’ have chosen is also simply not true...and more than a little bit.
Originally Posted by efw
Writing such a desire off with an eye roll, “yeah you just like to complicate things” seems to miss this very important point.
That hasn’t been said, or done, on this thread.

Jesus says, "Narrow is the way and few find it."

Everyday Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DBT
^^^THIS^^^

People like a lot of things....answers to questions that currently have no answers, life after death, reunion with loved ones, ultimate justice, etc.

If you have faith, you know the answers.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
Hi Ringman.

I agree that we should do what Jesus requires of us.
Since I posted 2 movies, the first was, Eternal or Not.
The other was on the history of the New Testament .
I might be wrong but I'm guessing that you are referring to the first one. I don't remember where anyone said that Jesus changed His mind about baptism. There were lots of interviews so sorry that I missed that. Are you sure that it wasn't one of the introductory religions, since they went to source documents for everything explaining Morman beliefs to Budhism?

I'm using the KJV and looking at Matthew 28:19-20; Mark 16:15-20
I think that you are talking about 16:16
"And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;"

Do you believe that water baptism is a work required of the believer or baby for salvation?

I believe Jesus above everyone else. His Word is too clear to miss for the serious Bible student.

Baptism is like signing a check. If you receive a check in the mail as a gift for no reason, are you working to earn the money if you sign it and cash it?

I've never heard it put that way before.
It's good to hear your point of view. I'm interested your beliefs on this important subject even if we have some different views.
What do you think about this order that Jesus puts things in? I like to picture things and organize them in my mind for understanding. If you were to put things in an order, say first, second, and so forth....(Ie. Gift of the Holy Spirit, salvation, baptism, faith, etc.)
How does this work?
1st.
4th.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would love for you to take the time to listen to a "Chosen by God" series by RC Sproul then report back to us on your thoughts.https://www.ligonier.org/learn/series/chosen_by_god/

From Lecture 1 I got that since Augustine, Aquinas, Luther, Calvin, and Edwards all agree on the Augustinian view of predestination, and in light of the sheer power of their Biblical scholarship, and that they command as much respect as they do, that that should lend much more credence toward me believing in it too. It also reaffirms that God makes His choice about our salvation and ultimate destination before we are even born...and it reaffirms that what God foresees in our life has nothing whatsoever to do with His choice regarding our salvation and ultimate destination...without any consideration of His foreknowledge of our acceptance or rejection with respect to the proclamation of the Gospel.

From Lecture 2 I got that if you don’t believe the part of the Westminster Confession containing these words: “God from all eternity did by the most wise and holy counsel of His own will, freely and immutably (that is, without possibility of changing it) ordain whatsoever comes to pass;”— that you are an atheist. It affirms that God is sovereign, and by His sovereignty He decrees anything and everything that happens. And He sovereignly elects, chooses, and redeems some, and the rest He passes over...before they were even born, and without regard to His foreknowledge of their acceptance or rejection of the Gospel. One group gets mercy (salvation), and the other group gets the justice that they deserve (destruction).

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
^^^THIS^^^

The answers you feel are true may not be true. What's more important, believing you have the answers, or searching for the truth....finding out things that may not be palatable, perhaps unacceptable, yet true?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
^^^THIS^^^

The answers you feel are true may not be true. What's more important, believing you have the answers, or searching for the truth....finding out things that may not be palatable, perhaps unacceptable, yet true?

stx posts out of confidence.

You post out of fear.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
^^^THIS^^^

they only matter to me. not asking or telling anyone what they should believe.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I would love for you to take the time to listen to a "Chosen by God" series by RC Sproul then report back to us on your thoughts.https://www.ligonier.org/learn/series/chosen_by_god/

From Lecture 1 I got that since Augustine, Aquinas, Luther, Calvin, and Edwards all agree on the Augustinian view of predestination, and in light of the sheer power of their Biblical scholarship, and that they command as much respect as they do, that that should lend much more credence toward me believing in it too. It also reaffirms that God makes His choice about our salvation and ultimate destination before we are even born...and it reaffirms that what God foresees in our life has nothing whatsoever to do with His choice regarding our salvation and ultimate destination...without any consideration of His foreknowledge of our acceptance or rejection with respect to the proclamation of the Gospel.

From Lecture 2 I got that if you don’t believe the part of the Westminster Confession containing these words: “God from all eternity did by the most wise and holy counsel of His own will, freely and immutably (that is, without possibility of changing it) ordain whatsoever comes to pass;”— that you are an atheist. It affirms that God is sovereign, and by His sovereignty He decrees anything and everything that happens. And He sovereignly elects, chooses, and redeems some, and the rest He passes over...before they were even born, and without regard to to His foreknowledge of their acceptance or rejection of the gospel. One group gets mercy (salvation), and the other group gets the justice that they deserve (destruction).

You are the man, a true student of the word. I hope you have time to finish them all.

I can't help but love RC. I live about 4 hours from his place. Regret never taking the time to meet him.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fubarski

You post out of fear.

Fear? No. The very opposite. Fear is believing in things that may not be true, yet provide comfort: faith. Being promised eternal life may bring comfort, but may not be true. Avoiding the likelihood of death without an afterlife comes out of fear.

Last edited by DBT; 09/04/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are the man, a true student of the word. I hope you have time to finish them all.
Don’t know if I will. Gotta tell ya’ though...I still don’t abide by the theology of predestination. At all. Even more so after those lectures.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Fubarski

You post out of fear.

Fear? No. The very opposite. Fear is believing in things that may not be true,.... Avoiding the likelihood of death without an afterlife comes out of fear.

Fear of burning in hell for eternity drives
many a christian to believe.

.. Christianity spread like an airborne
disease during its extreme persecution years before
the Bible ever existed.

Within what time block period did such extreme
persecution take place? and what was the toll?

.. And how far had Christianity spread?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The bible supports predestination. An omniscient God knowing the end from the beginning, etc....

Page 21 of 26 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

288 members (204guy, 16penny, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 38 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,869
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.