Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Originally Posted by deflave
I wish I was so good I didn’t need instructing.

LOL

Spend more time at the range and less time sashaying around here...you *may* improve.

That there is pretty funny. Lol.

Please offer up more gems.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Ha Ha Ha, the sheriff wants to be the 'flave. I am anticipating more guidance from this self annoited warrior.

The CF never disappoints.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
So, back to the original post and subject.....

Lots of proponents of semi-autos for a defensive weapon for new and inexperienced users. Lots of "get with the new technology son!" remarks or inferences. For those of you who are proponents, is the main reason cartridge capacity?

Um.......no.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I'll settle this once and for all.............

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Handguns have been flying off the shelves of late, seems like very many of the purchasers ain’t gun people, most will never take a class, more’n a few won’t even go to a range more’n once if they go at all. Listen to the questions they ask at purchase and watch the way they handle the gun like it’s some alien object.

And if they are like that, imagine rest of the people in their household.

So that handgun, loaded or not, is gonna sit around their house for years in a drawer somewhere.

Under those circumstances I’d prefer it was a revolver simply because you can see it’s loaded when you pick it up.

As noted, Sami-autos far outnumber K-frame revolvers on the shelves now, but j-frames are hanging in there.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Savuti

Now the question is, how many people here will know what that is 🙂

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Handguns have been flying off the shelves of late, seems like very many of the purchasers ain’t gun people, most will never take a class, more’n a few won’t even go to a range more’n once if they go at all. Listen to the questions they ask at purchase and watch the way they handle the gun like it’s some alien object.

And if they are like that, imagine rest of the people in their household.

So that handgun, loaded or not, is gonna sit around their house for years in a drawer somewhere.

Under those circumstances I’d prefer it was a revolver simply because you can see it’s loaded when you pick it up.

As noted, Sami-autos far outnumber K-frame revolvers on the shelves now, but j-frames are hanging in there.

That's some great advice.

Be sure to remind them to never dry fire it either.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’m guessing WEBLEY FOSBERY. Complicated piece of machinery, I think.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by SS336

Looks like a hunk of schit to me.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by SS336

Looks like a hunk of schit to me.

Yep, compared to the revolvers being put out by S&W and Colt during the same period, it really does.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
It is a Webley Fosbery, I'll take a Colt or Smith & Wesson 1917 over it any day.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Birdy, you stated that you can tell if a revolver is loaded by looking at it, please illuminate. If I look at the cylinder from the rear i cannot tell if the brass has been fired or not w/out close examination. Do you think the person you described will examine for primer strikes or just look at the gun from the front?

I don't understand why people think that a revolver is the EZ button for an untrained gun owner.

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Birdy, you stated that you can tell if a revolver is loaded by looking at it, please illuminate. If I look at the cylinder from the rear i cannot tell if the brass has been fired or not w/out close examination. Do you think the person you described will examine for primer strikes or just look at the gun from the front?

I don't understand why people think that a revolver is the EZ button for an untrained gun owner.

mike r

Birdfugker is the same brainiac that says you shouldn't dry fire.

Because his revolver went bang.

LOL

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I guess he didn't just look at it. Doesn't everyone know that dryfire will wear out your gun?

mike r

Wish you were better

Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I guess he didn't just look at it. Doesn't everyone know that dryfire will wear out your gun?

mike r

"Yep. Just a quick glance and then you know it's no...BLAMMO!!!!"

LOL

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

mike r

Didn't say it was an EZ button, I do say the majority, maybe even the vast majority, of people buying stuff at the gun counters in response to a crisis are untrained gun owners.

ca. 1972, neighbor's house, NY suburbs. Handguns just weren't a thing many people had in that time and place. Neighbors teenage kid's dad had a snubbie .357 what was in hindsight a k-frame Smith, hidden securely away. Of course kid finds it and when his dad was out we went and looked, first handgun I ever handled. Kid's dad never took him shooting,acted like the gun was a secret, kid had scarcely more experience holding it than I did, and I had never touched a handgun before.

Ya ever see someone older than maybe twelve handle a handgun who ain't familiar with 'em? They don't just up and point them, they examine them all over first like a curious monkey, muzzle going everywhere. Yep, them brass cartridges was pretty obvious, dunno that we would have known to look into the cylinder to check if there were bullets (who leaves spent cartridges in a revolver anyway?). He points the revolver at arm's length, presses a bit on the trigger, trigger begins to give, cylinder moves, he stops. I don't recall unloading it, prob'ly we didn't know how because if we did we would have prob'ly unloaded and loaded it again repeatedly. If nothing else just to look at the cartridges.

If it had been a Glock... would we have known to drop the magazine and rack the slide? Today maybe from all the movies and video games, absent that, we would have found an inscrutable black handgun with a 1/4" 5.5lb trigger.

Some teenage girl just accidentally shot and killed her friend the other week in this town, in this case with a stolen handgun. Been a few over the years not involving stolen guns. I knew a student I always thought well of on account of one time his friends had left him all the way across town, maybe twenty miles and he walked home overnight, didn't b$tch or whine or wake up his mom. I was impressed by that. The following summer he got accidentally shot in the neck by a friend when they were looking at a handgun, bled out and died. Might have been a revolver, but most likely was an auto.

Might as well address dry-firing. Yep, early on I put a bullet through a wall dry firing, no one on the other side, nothing got hurt except the wall and my self-esteem. Early in the morning I had disassembled and cleaned my revolver, put it back together. Got interrupted by the coffee pot, came back and idly dry fired the gun at that same spot like I had done prob'ly a hundred times before, except I had forgot that I had reloaded it. Ya, I know I'm a dumb fugh etc etc but I'm in good company. I have read police stations all across America have holes in them. Even Bill Jordan put a hole in a wall once, possibly when dry firing.

I figure anything that puts into your muscle memory "pull trigger; harmless click.... pull trigger; harmless click... pull trigger;harmless click" is a bad thing. I still dry fire once in a while, at the range. Most often I'll leave an empty chamber in a revolver to check for flinching or jerking the trigger. I still get a case of the willies at just up and dry-firing an empty gun tho, that one incident made me permanently more careful.

I really like the Glock 19, if I could have only one handgun it would be a 19, it is unfortunate tho that you have to dry-fire it before you can take it apart to clean it. I figure lots of Cops and Security Guards, not usually gun people, dry-fire their Glocks to take it apart as much as they fire it live.

We had a Sheriffs Deputy fatally shoot herself in the abdomen here once after she had apparently got the "drop magazine... rack slide" order wrong when she "unloaded" it and then depressed the trigger. A similar thing was posted on video here some time back where a guy's adult son had handed his dad a Glock and the dad thought it was already cleared, shot himself in the hand as he pulled the trigger so he could remove the slide. Same thing; his muscle memory told him "pull trigger; harmless click"... when you're disassembling a Glock.

Of course the rules of safe gun handling were broken in every incidence, but humans is fallible.

I'm sure YMMV.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Birdy, you stated that you can tell if a revolver is loaded by looking at it, please illuminate.
mike r

OMG I can actually teach YOU something 🙂

We can lay a bunch of revolvers on a table, some loaded, some empty, and you can try to see just by looking which have cartridges in ‘em and which don’t. I’ll help if you get it wrong.....

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Stories of absolute dumbasses mishandling guns is hardly an argument for what’s more user friendly .

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bill Jordan accidentally shot and killed another Border Patrol officer while practicing his fast draw in his office. The .357 bullet went through the wall and struck the other officer typing a report in the adjoining room.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=Birdwatcher][quote=Savuti]

————————————-

Now the question is, how many people here will know what that is 🙂
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I’m not sure.......but it would make a good hammer.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,570
Posts18,473,264
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.