GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just hoping y'all get some rain.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Just hoping y'all get some rain.

Not until Mon-Tues. Wind has slowed down so that's a blessing. Supposed to be in the upper 80's and 90's until then, though.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by add
Next thing you know, folks in the Red River Valley wonder why the rivers rise and flood areas in the Spring run-off.

Or Hurricanes hit the Gulf in August and September.

crickets

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Ballz being hysterical again, as usual.
Thank God concrete is non-combustible. Hate to see 4 months worth of missed work be all for naught.

What do you say jack?

LOL
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
This is what fire fighters (and the rest of us) have to deal with.

JUNCTION CITY, Ore. -- The Junction City Police Department arrested 48-year-old Milton Loice Moran for lighting a mortar-type firework in the Noraton Road and Lingo Lane area.

Officials responded to the area just north of Junction City for a report of illegal fireworks on Wednesday night. The investigation revealed that the subject who ignited the firework left the area on a motorcycle prior to police arriving on scene but he was immediately found at a nearby store.

Moran admitted to lighting the firework and acknowledged that he knew how dangerous it was due to dry conditions. Additional fireworks were taken from his residence.

The firework was ignited one foot from Moran's carpentry shop and in close proximity to another residence.

Moran was arrested and charged with two counts of reckless endangerment of another person and driving while felony suspended.

https://www.kezi.com/content/news/Junction-City-man-arrested-for-lighting-firework--572370521.html

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by logger

JUNCTION CITY, Ore. -- The Junction City Police Department arrested 48-year-old Milton Loice Moran for lighting a mortar-type firework in the Noraton Road and Lingo Lane area.

Officials responded to the area just north of Junction City for a report of illegal fireworks on Wednesday night. The investigation revealed that the subject who ignited the firework left the area on a motorcycle prior to police arriving on scene but he was immediately found at a nearby store.

Moran admitted to lighting the firework and acknowledged that he knew how dangerous it was due to dry conditions. Additional fireworks were taken from his residence.

The firework was ignited one foot from Moran's carpentry shop and in close proximity to another residence.

Moran was arrested and charged with two counts of reckless endangerment of another person and driving while felony suspended.

https://www.kezi.com/content/news/Junction-City-man-arrested-for-lighting-firework--572370521.html

We need a purge.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds like this guy is being hysterical, according to jackmountain anyway- Man seen lighting fires

https://katu.com/news/local/man-seen-starting-fires-at-oregon-state-park-local-fire-chief-says

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by logger

I think they spelled Moron wrong.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Sounds like this guy is being hysterical, according to jackmountain anyway- Man seen lighting fires

https://katu.com/news/local/man-seen-starting-fires-at-oregon-state-park-local-fire-chief-says

They better not burn down the Dexter Lake Club if it's still there . I camped nearby in 73 or so, walked down to the club every morning, picked up enough empties from the drunks the night before to cash in and get a quart of beer for to start the day.

And, it's a Historical Place of Note for sure:

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Ballz being hysterical again, as usual.
Thank God concrete is non-combustible. Hate to see 4 months worth of missed work be all for naught.

What do you say jack?

I say only a retard would be worried about starting [bleep] with an anonymous poster on the internet when their entire state is on fire. I'm pretty sure you'd be the last thing on my mind if I was in your position, but carry on as you see fit you dumb cqunt.

Last edited by jackmountain; 09/10/20.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I didn't start anything with you a s s hole, you came on a thread about the fires in Oregon and tried to make a point about me. Totally classless as usual.

This is serious, peoples lives are being destroyed, lots of them. You and Dead-Weight Dave offer nothing.

LOL
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
So looking at the satellite images, it appears that an east wind is pushing this monster. Not knowing much about the area, would a west wind push the fire back into itself, starving it of fuel?

Was watching a live stream in YouTube where a couple of former FS firefighters were making a stand with their private rigs defending one of the guys parents house. Cedar shakes roof, RH in the single digits, temps near 90, and a probability of ignition (PIG) of nearly 100%. Not sure if they were successful or not. I’m sure it was a long night as the fire was only 1/2 mile away. They did get pictures of possible looters they confronted taking boxes of stuff including handguns off the mountain. Special place in hell if that’s what was going on.

Godspeed to our guys in OR. The enormity of loss so quickly is unimaginable. I hope Mother Nature gives you a hand in getting this thing under control.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Easy enough to point the finger at Antifa, BLM and everyone else who doesn't believe in the Easter bunny or Santa Claus, and I'm sure there is some arson going on here as targets of opportunity for psychopaths who live in the woods and act out in their own little world-

However, ignoring the low hanging fruit- if you've spent much time in the back country in Oregon you soon realize that the power lines in most of the more rural area are ripe for fire starting. As an electrician I've always noticed that the antiquated power lines that run in most of the back country are extremely low mounted relative to how they are in towns where heavy traffic and heavier electrical loads require them to be mounted much higher. The poles are shorter and in most cases , very, very old and ready to fall over in many cases. Also, the back country overhead power lines were installed a very long time ago when electrical loads were substantially lower than they are now- meaning much smaller primary wiring which is getting warm in these conditions with everyone running electrical equipment like Air conditioners and the like. This not only causes the power lines to get hot, but also causes them to droop from the heat relaxing the wire. Add in a wind storm blowing limbs across these high voltage wires- 4160 Volts up to 13,000 volts in some cases and you have instant fire starting in these conditions.

So, though it is easy to blame Antifa for all our ills, it is just as easy to point fingers at the power companies who have neglected to maintain the power grid due to cost and time.... California the last few years is a perfect example of this- fires caused by power lines that weren't maintained were the source of major lawsuits- both public and private- in the last few years... no different here. The results speak for themselves...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Seafire
Geno,

The place you talk about there off of exit 19, where it hits Hwy 99.. yeah, the Greenway goes by that bridge, and on south.. the road down toward it that way will lead you to it... easier way, off of old 99 thru town, you'll see a road down near the College, that is Mountain Ave... take that back downhill toward the Freeway and that is where the Greenway ends...between there and the Freeway, I noticed a lot of land was burned thru that area... but no fires had burned past where the Bear Creek Greenway ends...

no doubt in my mind, Antifa people were going onto the Greenway, especially down in the Ashland area and lighting those fires, in coordinated spots...and they were leaving areas alone...south bound side of the Freeway, I noted a house that always had signs about God and Jesus on it, visible off the freeway, was totally burned down.. but the two houses next to it were just fine...
coincidence maybe, but I really doubt it...

Fires aren't that hard to start... a quick road flare tossed into the brush, and you have a big fire in your hands real quick..

I really believe the parts they started near Phoenix and Talent on the Greenway, just got out of their hands real quick and they probably just freaked out and got out of there.... on the other hand, aftermath, what the fire crews did with what they had to work with.. they did a fantastic job here in the Rogue Valley.. local community college here has a real big fire and paramedic program..at several campuses...

I really think this entire thing is far from over.. Antifa will be pulling things like this, right up thru the election.. and if they don't get their ways, it will continue afterwards... winter rains may shorten their opportunities, but again, they will just relocate to somewhere else and pull something else to tie up resources and harass the local populations...

This will only stop, when these people are held accountable and are locked up for a long time.. or sent onto a permanent dirt nap..
this could easily be the start of that civil war that plenty think is going to eventually be coming...

and then these antifa people have plenty of democRATS who run the governments here on the west coast, giving them protected status...these guys being arrested tho, I've heard are being arrested on Federal Charges and are being detained by the Federal Police agencies...Seem a lot of Forest Service Rangers LE out running around the local areas for weeks now..

wonder if they were tipped something like this might be on the way several months back...

Thanks John,

I thought that was the situation there. Didn't know the Greenway ran that much further South. I'm pretty sure I know which house had the Jesus signs too. We didn't get on the 5 at all yesterday, just went back thru town to get lunch at the Falafel Republic and a baked goodie at that grocery there for desert (stuff we don't have here wink ) and then back to 66 and over the hill. Never saw the burned areas in Ashland.

Sure hope they catch the perps. And deal with them accordingly.

All you So Oregonians, keep a watchful eye and stay safe.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
So looking at the satellite images, it appears that an east wind is pushing this monster. Not knowing much about the area, would a west wind push the fire back into itself, starving it of fuel?

Was watching a live stream in YouTube where a couple of former FS firefighters were making a stand with their private rigs defending one of the guys parents house. Cedar shakes roof, RH in the single digits, temps near 90, and a probability of ignition (PIG) of nearly 100%. Not sure if they were successful or not. I’m sure it was a long night as the fire was only 1/2 mile away. They did get pictures of possible looters they confronted taking boxes of stuff including handguns off the mountain. Special place in hell if that’s what was going on.

Godspeed to our guys in OR. The enormity of loss so quickly is unimaginable. I hope Mother Nature gives you a hand in getting this thing under control.

A west wind will help stall the fires and allow firefighters to get close enough to begin building hard lines. It may also allow air resources to be used more aggressively. Most of our limited resources are now being used to protect lives and where possible - houses.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It might depending on the terrain. These fires a in some pretty rugged stuff. But we'll probably get a south wind. That's what it's doing now at our place. Very light breeze from the SSW. Unfortunately that will put us directly down wind of our fire. Haven't seen or smelled smoke from it yet. Only the high smoke from the Santaim fire.

We need rain. But just no wind would be good.

Might have to go over the ridge to see what the fire's doing in a bit.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I didn't start anything with you a s s hole, you came on a thread about the fires in Oregon and tried to make a point about me. Totally classless as usual.

This is serious, peoples lives are being destroyed, lots of them. You and Dead-Weight Dave offer nothing.

Funny, same schit you do to others that you don't like, but hell carry on.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

Yes, with any luck a wind change will blow the fire back over a burned area, slowing it's growth. However, as sometimes happens, it can blow it back into spots that didn't burn the first time through and into housing areas that were saved also. But, generally a good thing when the wind blows back over what was burned. It's a natural equivalent of sorts to setting backfires.

Cedar shakes, low humidty, fires nearby, are not conducive to keeping a house from burning, but if there's a couple of experienced hands there, and they have water, it's possible. Hopefully that house has a good firebreak around it, if not, even good efforts will fail.

In it is contentment

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Sheister (Bob);

You are exactly right. At one time in the past we had a real problem with fires starting from trains and the rail road companies worked hard to fix that problem and we haven't had near the problems. In the last couple of years it has been power lines. Even before this event, we had around 10 fire starts from power lines this fire season. I think in the fullness of time and investigation that most of these fires will be tied back power line issues, not all, but most.

Page 17 of 34 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 33 34

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 219DW, 204guy, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,865
Posts18,517,931
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.