Print Thread
Hop To
Page 25 of 34 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 33 34
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
About 9:00 this morning I was upgraded from level 1 to level 2,be ready to leave...Quite surprising because I have been keeping track of the Holiday fire and it was still 12 miles out and moving slowly. Not much change. That's when I found there was a new fire just over the ridge from the house and much closer..

Luckily,it is calm out with much higher humidity and it seems they have it under control..

I got this off the Linn Country Sheriff's FB page.. I thought that was the case because the area has a main BLM rd and the fire seemed to near be the road.

Linn County Sheriff's Office
1h ·
West Brush Creek Road Fire UPDATE:
At approx 7a.m., Sweet Home Fire District was dispatched to West Brush Creek road for a fire along the roadway and up the hill in the trees.
LCSO deputies patrolling the area spotted a fire that was approx 10-15 acres, it is now controlled and contained. Oregon Department of Forestry(ODF) is remaining on scene to mop up.
The fire has been determined to be suspicious in nature and is being investigated at this time.
Sweet Home Fire was joined quickly by ODF, we are also thankful for a quick response from Mohawk Fire, Cascade Timber Consulting provided a dozer and a type one hot shot crew from the Holiday Fire.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jesus. Some bastards are still setting fires. Hope it stays under control.

Carpe' Scrotum
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Damn heathens.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess most of the smoke has been drawn out to sea but finally today it is smoky as hell up here ~ 30 miles north of the border. Calling for a bit of rain here Tuesday was curious and just checked and Portland gets some too early next week. I sure as hell hope things turn around here. I'm rootin for you all down there. Best.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
We're socked in here today for the first time. About 100 yard visibility.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lived thru that chit two years ago ballz. Take care down there..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Perhaps the chief it correct.
“One thing I can say is that the rumor it was set by Antifa is 100% false information,” the police chief said by email. “We have some leads, and none of it points in that direction.”

Perhaps not, according to some folks

Thanks for that link to the guy in the truck too. I think that was you, right?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Santiam

Looks like he spoke before he got all the facts. Phoenix fire was man caused. Person arrested and charged, with arson and other crimes, in connection with the fire!

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I hope this chit will pass in Clackamas County, enough has been lost. Not to be a dic, but, there's going to be some serious blacktail hunting in the years to come. It'll be insane.

Hoping to hear some updates this evening.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Heym06

Looks like he spoke before he got all the facts. Phoenix fire was man caused. Person arrested and charged, with arson and other crimes, in connection with the fire!

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he's going to be about 80% right.

Carpe' Scrotum
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Would you even know what to do with this?

Last edited by BobBrown; 09/11/20.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

We've been like that all day. Lifting a bit, but still pretty think. Air's still better than the last time I was in Nanjing, China.

Carpe' Scrotum
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Don't get all secure with water as a defense system, water and electricity are the first things to go in rural settings. Bare mineral soil fire breaks, enough to make your wife howl in outrage, is the only thing that can be relied on.

Part of the overall plan should include a generator and fuel supply. I'm thinking buried propane tank. Looks like Generac makes some. 127 cubic feet per hour consumption under full load. Seems like a lot of fuel, How would a person convert cubic feet to say a 250 gallon propane tank?

7.5 gallons per cubic foot. 250 gallon divided by 7.5 equals 33 cubic ft. storage in the tank. 33 times .8 to account for expansion space equals 26 1/2 cu ft actual storage capacity. 26.5 times 270 expansion ratio of propane liquid to gas equals 7,155 cubic feet of propane gas. 7155 divided by 127 cu ft per hr consumption equals 56 hours run time on the generator.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Concrete block/brick construction with a metal roof would be a good first start.

Fireproof hardi-board siding goes a long way toward that end. But even hardi-board can be heated by radiant heat to the point that the combustible studs and other building materials behind may be ignited.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by Heym06

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he's going to be about 80% right.

You are probably close, looking at where some started, my quess would be about 50% correct!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I hope this chit will pass in Clackamas County, enough has been lost. Not to be a dic, but, there's going to be some serious blacktail hunting in the years to come. It'll be insane.

On the hunting end, that's not being a dic, only the cold hard facts Boomer. Big burns do wonders for ungulates a couple years few out.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My heart goes out to all of you living through a wildfire. I well know the anguish and uncertainty and feelings of helplessness when a big fire roars through.

2 years ago my son and his young family barely escaped the Camp Fire that destroyed Paradise, Ca. His brand new home, just outside city limits on 40 acres was built off-grid and they'd just moved in. His new home survived the walls of flame and I'll give my take on how to improve your chances.

100' of defensible space all around. Take a hard look. Bark burns, decorative flower bushes burn too.
Back up power for private well. Don't count on solar alone.
Gutter guards, fire resistant eaves are a big deal
stucco, hardi plank, concrete, block, brick...anything fire resistant siding. T-111 is a roman candle.
metal roof
oversized sprinkler system, commercial style turned on full blast before evacuation. Diesel generator running water well. We also put in a fitting for fire hose suppression around the house.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Salty303
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

On the hunting end, that's not being a dic, only the cold hard facts Boomer. Big burns do wonders for ungulates a couple years few out.

In my father's youth, late 40s before the big logging operations in the 50s (in this area, up high especially) there were few to no deer around. Down low they were kept sparse for the larder. Had to hike back in where there'd been burns, big fern groves. Later, come the population explosion after the old growth clear cutting (of the 40s, 50s and 60s) in this area. and a bad winter in the early 60s, deer were so starved as to start eating fir needles of felled trees as the loggers were still limbing. Then it grew up into brush. Some of that was well managed and grown into timber, some not, some on the second or third growth. That's what is burning in that Riverside fire east of Colton, Green Mountain country. Don't know abou the upper Mollala, Butte Creek, Fish Creek Divide country to the south or Memaloose, BatleAxMountain to the east. Big time timber country, Doug fir an hemlock. Then Reagans big push in the 80s, that chit was prime regrowth when I was coming of age, then the f'ing spotted owl and it overgrew. By prime, the ground absolutely torn up with game tracks. By sparse, dink trails through the brush. Back to much fewer game animals and cougars. So, this will make lots of forage. Rambling generalities for your amusement. Oh, one little 20 acre stand of timber in the area was being logged for the third time some 25-30 years ago - grandpa had plowed that as a field with draft horse as a boy. Timber grows fast there.

My old man had the foresight to buy a clearcut 40 acres for $1300 in 1959, at age 19. Added another soon after, nearly but not contiguous. It's such productive Doug fir ground, excellently managed, he built a home in the late 60s, and then lived off the timber he'd grown since the early 90s when log prices went to hell and he said F'it and retired from commercial jippo logging. Phucqking shame if he lost it in his final years. Word is ok still today. Mix of memories this all brings up.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 09/11/20.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Page 25 of 34 1 2 23 24 25 26 27 33 34

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1234, 117LBS, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,872
Posts18,518,060
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.