Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 26 of 34 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 33 34
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Salty303
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I hope this chit will pass in Clackamas County, enough has been lost. Not to be a dic, but, there's going to be some serious blacktail hunting in the years to come. It'll be insane.

Hoping to hear some updates this evening.

On the hunting end, that's not being a dic, only the cold hard facts Boomer. Big burns do wonders for ungulates a couple years few out.

And mushroom picking. Also fireweed for the bees.

Carpe' Scrotum
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Dad's place is confirmed ok, thank God... It'dkkilled him for sure. Calmer. Rain expected in two days.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Salty303
I hope this chit will pass in Clackamas County, enough has been lost. Not to be a dic, but, there's going to be some serious blacktail hunting in the years to come. It'll be insane.

Hoping to hear some updates this evening.

On the hunting end, that's not being a dic, only the cold hard facts Boomer. Big burns do wonders for ungulates a couple years few out.

In my father's youth, late 40s before the big logging operations in the 50s (in this area, up high especially) there were few to no deer around. Down low they were kept sparse for the larder. Had to hike back in where there'd been burns, big fern groves. Later, come the population explosion after the old growth clear cutting (of the 40s, 50s and 60s) in this area. and a bad winter in the early 60s, deer were so starved as to start eating fir needles of felled trees as the loggers were still limbing. Then it grew up into brush. Some of that was well managed and grown into timber, some not, some on the second or third growth. That's what is burning in that Riverside fire east of Colton, Green Mountain country. Don't know abou the upper Mollala, Butte Creek, Fish Creek Divide country to the south or Memaloose, BatleAxMountain to the east. Big time timber country, Doug fir an hemlock. Then Reagans big push in the 80s, that chit was prime regrowth when I was coming of age, then the f'ing spotted owl and it overgrew. By prime, the ground absolutely torn up with game tracks. By sparse, dink trails through the brush. Back to much fewer game animals and cougars. So, this will make lots of forage. Rambling generalities for your amusement. Oh, one little 20 acre stand of timber in the area was being logged for the third time some 25-30 years ago - grandpa had plowed that as a field with draft horse as a boy. Timber grows fast there.

My old man had the foresight to buy a clearcut 40 acres for $1300 in 1959, at age 19. Added another soon after, nearly but not contiguous. It's such productive Doug fir ground, excellently managed, he built a home in the late 60s, and then lived off the timber he'd grown since the early 90s when log prices went to hell and he said F'it and retired. Phucqking shame if he lost it in his final years. Word is ok still today. Mix of memories this all brings up.

Rootin for you big time bro.

Nice thing about Doug fir it can take quite a bit of fire as you know. We're blessed with a lot of it here. We had some big fires in 2018 that's the year BC about burned up. There were a couple near here but not near any people at all. Big jeezus ugly mess I tell you. Some burned insanely hot right into the soil on steep south facing hill sides nothing of any value will grow there for a while. But a lot of it burned like lightening bolts with a lot of scorched but live Doug fir especially the big ones and the odd patched not burned at all. The understory is going gang busters already with chest high fireweed and other forbs and there's deer all through it.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The answer is no.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dad's place is confirmed ok, thank God... It'dkkilled him for sure. Calmer. Rain expected in two days.

Was typing while you posted this awesome news!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Good news!

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steve

Good news!

Ditto.
Nice story about your dad's place Boomer. Glad it survived so far.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Awesome..

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thank you men.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
An interesting thing has surfaced locally in regard to the fires and Antifa. As with much of Oregon, we have a whole lot of people that have come from other states and haven't lived here all that long. Most of them have moved into our small cities and towns. If you look at forest land ownership in Douglas County it looks like a large checkerboard with alternating sections (640 acres or one square mile) being Bureau of Land Management and private forest land. So during a large fire you hear a lot about BLM activity. Apparently some people have assumed that means Black Lives Matter and then have associated that with Antifa. What a strange world in which we live.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
This is all that is left of my friends house up the Santiam Canyon. We have spent a good many hours there enjoying the setting right beside the Santiam river. This is between Gates and Detroit.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Damn. That's a hard one Robb. Thank God they are safe. And though it hurts like hell right now, possessions can always be replaced.

Saw on the web where resourceful farmers and ranchers are putting their heavy equipment in the middle of fields, tilling a perimeter around them, then leaving them there and hoping they make it through. Helluva thing to have to make choices like that.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That's terrible. So sorry for your friend.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well scheidt,

that sucks.

Hope they can rebuild if that's their choice, or that their new location is even better.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Robb10238
This is all that is left of my friends house up the Santiam Canyon. We have spent a good many hours there enjoying the setting right beside the Santiam river. This is between Gates and Detroit.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

condolences and prayers for those who have lost property, or their friends...

this is just ridiculous... and for those started by arsonists, and if arrested... I hope they never see the light of day ever again...

They ought to be thankful the cops don't just turn them over to the citizens that have lost their homes and life's possession because of these arsonist...and being strung out on meth isn't an excuse...

We need the death penalty back, and an express lane installed...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Five confirmed arson fires. Washington 1. Oregon 3. California 1. We will see what comes next!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Heym06
Five confirmed arson fires. Washington 1. Oregon 3. California 1. We will see what comes next!

There'll be more.

LOL
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Heym06

There'll be more.

My thoughts exactly!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Praise God.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Robb10238

Oh man. Sorry.

Page 26 of 34 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 33 34

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (12344mag, 219DW, 204guy, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,863
Posts18,517,866
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.