-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 30 of 34 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 33 34
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Couple weeks ago, we witnessed a guy in the White River Sno-Park that had a Jeep attached to his large RV repeatedly revving the Jeep engine to such high rpms that we thought he would blow it up. His big dog was within six feet of the exhaust and finally removed himself from the smoke and fumes.

Several persons looked at each other, shook their heads and commented: "What the hell is wrong with this guy??"

Two weeks later, the SAME guy, with a sheepish look on his face is towing the same Jeep with the same RV and admits that his rig started the Spangler Fire. Both vehicles are destroyed...and acreage.

No reports on the big dog.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Santiam
The fire that burned down the Santiam canyon wiping out Detroit has been burning and smoldering in the wilderness for the last couple weeks.Lightning caused..The forest service was keeping a eye on it,but not much else.. A couple air drops could have stopped it then .

That's a shame. You'd have thought that with the forecast they'd have brought forces to bear on it late last week. Maybe they did but it was to late.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Wow. One of Kate's Peter Principle political appointees or maybe he's voicing criticisms of Kate?

Carpe' Scrotum
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
^ my first thought as well

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or a scapegoat for the damage and deaths?

Carpe' Scrotum
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The fire that burned down the Santiam canyon wiping out Detroit has been burning and smoldering in the wilderness for the last couple weeks.Lightning caused..The forest service was keeping a eye on it,but not much else.. A couple air drops could have stopped it then .

Even with the east wind forecast they sat on their hands.. They pretty much ignore the wilderness fires..

The winds hit and it went from 50 acres to 500 in a blink of a eye and then it was to late..Then it didn't take long to get to 50,000 and so on..That fire could have been prevented..

The Holiday fire on the McKenzie was supposedly a tree fell into the power lines.

The Riverside fire up the Clackamas was a towed jeep behind a motor home that was causing sparks somehow..

Sweet creek fire was arson and a arrest has been made..

The Ashland fires are probably arson,but they are conducting a criminal investigation and are keeping mum..There is a rumor of murder involved..

Several smaller fires that are out now are suspicious in nature..

That's all I know.

Thanks Santiam.

Had I read that a bit ago, I might not have searched this out:

The Beachie Creek fire began in the Opal Creek Wilderness near the confluence of Beachie and Opal creeks, and while it initially sat smoldering for three weeks, heavy winds on Labor Day fanned the fire into a large blaze.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tr...er-beloved-natural-landmarks/ar-BB18UDZP

RE: the rumor of murder.............wouldn't be the first time a fire was started to cover one up, would it.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Geno, the dead body could just as easily be a burned up bum.. maybe ODed next to his campfire. This year we've had two bum camp fires here in town, both were promptly put out by local fire dept

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fireball2
So why do we even have above ground powerlines? Nobody in the west own a damn excavator?

For profit "public utilities" is the easy answer.

That, and the consumer doesn't want to pay the real cost of bringing electrons to their "devices".

Many (most all?) above ground lines are uninsulated, air acts as the insulator. Adding insulation, then putting those lines underground adds costs.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by longarm
Geno, the dead body could just as easily be a burned up bum.. maybe ODed next to his campfire. This year we've had two bum camp fires here in town, both were promptly put out by local fire dept

Yep, that's easily a good possibility. Someone passed out sleeping when the fire came through.

Or Happy John got pissed at Sleepy Joe because he wouldn't share that bottle of Rosie.

Either way, not the same thing as a true "wildfire" like the big ones burning in the woods.

In it is contentment

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have heard there is reason to suspect murder,but like I said,rumor..

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Be a damn shame if Jeff Park and Opal Creek burned up.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Check that link I posted Steve.

Lot of folks seem to think it might have burnt up, others think because some of it is "old growth" the big trees might have survived.

In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So much for doing something useful I can't see more than 150 yards out there right now. Dogs outside by the stair project with me, I look over and the little older one is coughing looking at me like WTF are we doing out here.... Fug this I've done enough lung damage to myself gonna stay inside for most of the day.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Oregon news outlets, the police, and certainly social media are currently actively invested in downplaying the possibility of arson and specifically antifa links. So as not to encourage others?
Bristoe is correct in that at least some of these fires are being purposely started. I've been following that line actively for some days. As soon as a case pops up.. its scrubbed from FB, etc. Fact of the matter seems to be derelicts, crazy people, and a few [bleep] have and are starting fires.
Greater fact, as Geno, Salty, Steve, Santiam, etc have pointed out is that the majority of these fires are as a result of intense pressure gradient causing very high wind.. poor forest management, downed lines, etc
Bear in mind the scale of the place.. just as an example Kentucky is 0.41x the size of Oregon. Put another way we have forests here that would cover the entire State of Kentucky. Not a dig on Kentucky.. I've never been and would like to go.. just that topography etc here is considerably different and weather etc follows.
Praying for rain..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't put it past some groups to have deliberately started some of the fires as part of Operation Mayhem 2020.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Steve
Be a damn shame if Jeff Park and Opal Creek burned up.

Terrible loss to consider

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Even with the east wind forecast they sat on their hands.. They pretty much ignore the wilderness fires..

The winds hit and it went from 50 acres to 500 in a blink of a eye and then it was to late..Then it didn't take long to get to 50,000 and so on..That fire could have been prevented..

If that's a Fed wilderness, there's not much they can do except send in hand crews.

Hands are pretty much tied by rules and regs as I understand it.

Maybe they need to adapt some of those regs? Maybe folks that live in the "interface" with the woods need to start cutting some trees around their houses too?

Maybe there needs to be some sort of "buffer" around wilderness areas if they aren't going to fight fires in them? Big firebreaks?

I agree though, that fire could have been addressed a few weeks back.

In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I heard an interview up here 4 or 5 days ago by a fire communications guy in Oregon. He said they were extremely understaffed he said on the fire he was working on they'd normally have a crew of 1000 but they had less than 200. Oregon's resources stretched paper thin, nothing to borrow from from Cali or Wa because they're in the same situation. There just aren't enough people laying around waiting for the worse fire season in decades that's all there is to it. Also he said there was no road access at all to a lot of the fires.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Salty303
So much for doing something useful I can't see more than 150 yards out there right now. Dogs outside by the stair project with me, I look over and the little older one is coughing looking at me like WTF are we doing out here.... Fug this I've done enough lung damage to myself gonna stay inside for most of the day.

We had a wonderful early morning here.

Opened up the windows to cool the place down last night around 10-11 PM. I watched the HOCKEY game after the wife went to bed, fell asleep in the recliner for a bit after the game, got up and went to bed around 0130.

0330 the fuggin smoke alarms are all going, this place has them all wired together. Poor dogs, we close the dog door at night and they couldn't evacuate as normal. Well, tow couldn't, my boy stayed under the covers. Wife and I got up, me cussing up a storm, started shutting windows and turning on ceiling fans.

It was a little smokey when we turned in, but not smell and I could still see some stars in the sky. Wind must have changed. Sucks when one can't even open one's windows and there's no fire within 100 miles even.

Took the dog for a short walk last night about sunset, stopped and turned around after about 1/3 mile. No need to be breathing that crap if not necessary.

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Check that link I posted Steve.

Lot of folks seem to think it might have burnt up, others think because some of it is "old growth" the big trees might have survived.

I read it. I knew Jeff Park was in the path. Hadn't thought of Opal creek until I read it. Those kind of trees don't survive this long unless they're in a spot that is sheltered from fire over the years. As it's in a bit of a hole, this might be the case.

Carpe' Scrotum
Page 30 of 34 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1minute, 1941USMC, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,883
Posts18,518,231
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.