Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 31 of 34 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 34
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The Forest Service has been actively deconstructing roads for the past decade and we always said there was going to be a price paid for that.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To add insult to injury looking at the sat photos the smokes what, 5-600 miles out to sea? As the weather changes in the next couple days yup, its going to all come back to us frown But hopefully followed by some rain from heaven. I hope there's enough to not just stall the fires but clean the air some

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by logger
The Forest Service has been actively deconstructing roads for the past decade and we always said there was going to be a price paid for that.

Same up here logger. Shut er down... leave it to nature we're done logging. I hope this gives them cause to rethink that stupid fuggn idea. The side spurs, sure deactivate no biggy but the main lines should ALL be kept open for at least a 4 wheel drive truck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Two or three days of rain would change things dramatically. Cool the fires, mechanically scrub the air, make things annoying for protestors. All good things.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From the Linn County sheriff earlier this morning.. I was hoping to be off level II..

Linn County Sheriff's Office
tS2pdoohnsoreid
·
Sheriff Jim Yon and his Wildfire Emergency Operations team are grateful for the cooperation from all citizens in Linn County, as we work together to stay safe during these unprecedented times of wildfires in our area. “The level of care and giving, neighbor helping neighbor, is a true testament to Linn County, and what makes our community so special.”
Today, the wildfires both north and south in our county are holding in their areas, and crews are deployed to build containment lines, and quickly respond to new hotspots as they flare up in previously burned areas. We are continuing to work with Incident Command at both the Beachie Creek Fire, and the Holiday Farm Fire, and are closely monitoring the upcoming weather, wind patterns, and progress on fire containment. “We are hopeful that if the current conditions and great work by our fire crews continue, we will be able to downgrade our evacuation levels soon, and return people to their homes.”
The Sheriff’s Office is preparing a comprehensive list of resources to aide our community in the recovery from the wildfires. As we downgrade our evacuation levels, we will publish our Wildfire Recovery Resources. Stay up to date on all of the latest Linn County information by visiting our website at www.LinnSheriff.org

Then followed up just now,

Linn County Sheriff's Office
18m
·
No changes or downgrades to current evacuation zones will take place today. We are monitoring conditions closely, and will continue to assess conditions for tomorrow.
Stay updated on all the latest information by visiting www.LinnSheriff.org, and following us on Facebook and Instagram.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The Beachie Creek fire was lightning cause on August 16th and by the the September 6 fly over it was 513 acres, all in the wilderness. It is now 186,000 acres, most of it not in the wilderness..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Some of that is a good thing if one likes salmon.

hard to get some groups on with the fact that a clearcut can be a good thing. Get in there, get the cut done, put the road to bed.

Roads left in, without maintenance like clearing culverts and such, fail and impact streams in pretty serious way, especially in areas with heavy winter rains. Just the time salmon are spawning or have spawned and eggs are in the redds.

Again, this is a money thing. No one wants to pay for the upkeep of those roads. But they want the roads open for recreational use and fire breaks. If the try to sell some timber to cover it, it gets tied up in court suits.

fugged up situation all the way around.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Geno up here they've got two standards. 1) Pull the culverts and leave wide ditches where they were that you can get through with a high clearance 4x4 truck, and, 2) Completely dig up the road and plant trees

I'm down with 1 but 2 not so much unless its a very steep hillside. I've done quite a big of salmon enhancement work back in the day so I see both sides of it. But these fire seasons are getting worse not better.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Salty,
like down here, it's probably money related too.

I will guess you're talking Crown lands? They probably have to deal with their own set of fudged up regulations, trying to please everyone and not doing a good job of pleasing anyone.

Still, everyone wants cheap building materials and loads of fish in the streams. But...........don't raise my taxes. Or the cost of a 2x4. (What the heck do you folks call them? 5cm x 12cm?)

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Valsdad

hard to get some groups on with the fact that a clearcut can be a good thing. Get in there, get the cut done, put the road to bed.

Roads left in, without maintenance like clearing culverts and such, fail and impact streams in pretty serious way, especially in areas with heavy winter rains. Just the time salmon are spawning or have spawned and eggs are in the redds.

Again, this is a money thing. No one wants to pay for the upkeep of those roads. But they want the roads open for recreational use and fire breaks. If the try to sell some timber to cover it, it gets tied up in court suits.

While I would generally agree, especially being a salmon fisher, there will always be trade offs. We are facing a La Nina event this year in the NW so one can only imagine how much sediment is going to come rolling into the streams and rivers from the 100,000s of acres of now denuded landscape and it will to do so for years.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Salty,

I will guess you're talking Crown lands? They probably have to deal with their own set of fudged up regulations, trying to please everyone and not doing a good job of pleasing anyone.

Still, everyone wants cheap building materials and loads of fish in the streams. But...........don't raise my taxes. Or the cost of a 2x4. (What the heck do you folks call them? 5cm x 12cm?)

Yes public land or Crown land as its called up here makes up 95% of BC. So in a way you'd think it would be easier to manage for fires. But like you say try to please everyone equals everyone mad. LOL

And its a 2x4 damn it! You pretty much need to know both systems up here cause the ol metric system didn't make any headway in lumber and building.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

While I would generally agree, especially being a salmon fisher, there will always be trade offs. We are facing a La Nina event this year in the NW so one can only imagine how much sediment is going to come rolling into the streams and rivers from the 100,000s of acres of now denuded landscape and it will to do so for years.

Yep,

there's no easy solution.

Money help, but even on private timberlands where the company can spend what it needs to (should it decide that's the way to go) they still have issues.

In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

No free lunch right logger? We did all right around here lots of protruding rock anchoring things down. But up country where its rolling hills of silty soils they're still suffering landslides and flooding from the huge 2018 fires. As you know trees and their live roots soak up tremendous amounts of water, slow the run off, and anchor the soil. Burn up the trees you've got a problem for years to come. Its starting to heal up from the worst erosion damages in year one but highways were still closed this spring due to slides and flooding.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Steve

Wow. One of Kate's Peter Principle political appointees or maybe he's voicing criticisms of Kate?

Threw that cat under the bus didn't they? His replacement is a "she". Any bets she's a bull dyke politcal activist?

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Salty303
Salty,

Yes public land or Crown land as its called up here makes up 95% of BC. So in a way you'd think it would be easier to manage for fires. But like you say try to please everyone equals everyone mad. LOL

And its a 2x4 damn it! You pretty much need to know both systems up here cause the ol metric system didn't make any headway in lumber and building.

So, do you use a 623.68944 gram hammer or a 22 oz one to pound nails. grin

No fair saying you use a nail gun either.

In it is contentment

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Fish are another victim, of 30 years of poor forest management! The gravel bars will fill with sediment, eggs will suffocate, and the tribes will blame the farmers, for no fish! And the circle continues! Thats how it works out west, nowdays!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Salty,

Ok this one's easy. A number 8 screw ahead of my Milwaukee cordless grin
My 16, 18 and 22 oz hammers are pretty much wall hangers any mo

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The upper Clack is gonna be a clogged mess for years.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by Steve

Wow. One of Kate's Peter Principle political appointees or maybe he's voicing criticisms of Kate?

Threw that cat under the bus didn't they? His replacement is a "she". Any bets she's a bull dyke politcal activist?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Salty,

Ok this one's easy. A number 8 screw ahead of my Milwaukee cordless grin
My 16, 18 and 22 oz hammers are pretty much wall hangers any mo

I still like nails.

And using a hand saw on occasion.

I even own and every once in a while use a brace and bit.

In it is contentment

Page 31 of 34 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 34

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (2500HD, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 222ND, 257Bob, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 63 invisible), 2,467 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,909
Posts18,518,630
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.