Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by postoak
You ever saw across a board that has had tung oil applied? It soaks into the wood a good half inch.

I routinely encourage people to make the test. Apply fresh, straight, polymerizing oil to one side of a board and thin it on the other side. As many equal coats as you like. When cured, cut it. Then wait a few dry days and look again. I have done it many times and many people have seen it. The solvent is filtered by the wood. Suggesting it increases penetration is an error.

Tung acts just like linseed and you cannot tell the difference without a serious lab.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TenX
Talked to the owner of Sutherland Wells this morning about polymerization and his finish. If I understood him correctly, they heat the tung oil to a certain temp and hold it there for a specified amount of time. It starts the polymerizing of the oil so it is partially polymerized. So, maybe as Sitka Deer suggested, the term polymerizing might be more appropriate. After application on your project, the polymerization becomes complete much faster than would pure, unheated tung oil. Furthermore, the finish they produce is 50-50 tung oil and solvent. The solvent keeps the oil thin enough to work easily and gasses off after application.

Regardless, I've used the Sutherland Wells product for years on gun stocks for relatively high dollar rifles and shotguns since it yields the proper look. I've also used it on top of poly, lacquer, varnish, and shellac as well as raw wood and it worked well. I apply with my hands and control the sheen by the amount of mineral spirits i add. Generally I don't want a glossy appearance, just a nice warm glow with all the pores filled.
FWIW
Phil

a few facts:
Sheen is a function of the surface.
Oil shrinks as it polymerizes, drawing the surface tight.
To create commercial matte finishes silicone particles are added. As the oil polymerizes around the grit it permanently disrupts (and weakens) the surface.
The only good, permanent way to create sheen is rubbing the surface with mild abrasives.
Solvents gassing off create pores in the finish, affecting water resistance. Water molecules are smaller (molar mass of turpentine is over seven times water.)

Lots of chemical driers available to add at the last minute to oils. Oil no longer needs to be boiled to polymerize and curing is far more reliable. Once it starts polymerizing the clock is started on the whole container...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Tung Oil is slightly more water resistant than Linseed Oil. This is why the US Army chose it for the Springfield rifle. Tung dries with a microscopic orange peel finish so is slightly more satin than Linseed. Turpentine bonds and polymerizes with the oil so is superior to mineral spirits which just evaporates and leave the oil more porous on a microscopic level. (Look it up Art)

The food grade Flax seed oil has all the lipids and fats still in it so it is really slow drying (think years) but this is an advantage with things like Alkanet root oil where the long dry time lets it soak in more. The partially polymerized Linseed and Tung oils will dry faster and harder. I like artist stand oil to add to a varnish oil mix. Tung Oil will yellow to a lessor degree than Linseed. I like the yellowing on darker wood stocks.

I have had oil not stick to some of the super hard finishes, but either a coat of Shellac or adding a small amount of shellac to the oil or oil/varnish mix improves adhision and drying characteristics. I add Cobalt, Japan. & sometimes red lead dryers to most oil mixes. Red lead is not too toxic for contact but wear a mask when sanding.

All these finishes are best applied during a full moon while naked.

Last edited by Tejano; 09/24/20.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Tejano
Tung Oil is slightly more water resistant than Linseed Oil. This is why the US Army chose it for the Springfield rifle.

Not so. I got it from the horse's mouth a long time ago, from a guy who was there. My long gone friend was an Artificer in Army Ordnance during WWII (actually a little before, and through, the war). Artificers were guys who were attached to combat units as "gun fixers"- with trucks fitted out as mobile workshops with all the stuff for repairing small arms in the field. He described his job as mainly fixing/replacing broken stocks, rebarreling shot-out and rusted out rifles, and all the various and sundry ills that befell weapons being used in harsh conditions. The man amazed me with speed he could work at. He re-barreled my first '03 in his basement shop back in the 70's while I watched, and I doubt it took him much over half an hour.

Part of his early training was a rotation through the Springfield Armory. While there he witnessed stocks being "finished", by dunking in big vats of hot oil. He said that he was told they used whatever oil the procurement officer happened to get a good deal on- linseed or tung- and used it interchangeably.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wow! Just wow!

I have moose to cut up and should be doing that. Been a large part of four so far and one more is likely to die this week.

Turpentine does not bond with the oil, period. It evaporates almost completely. Cleaner, more expensive, lab grade versions leave almost nothing behind. Most leave some gum and resin. without a link to your info I cannot research where your source failed, nor do I really care to. It is certainly another internet whiz.

Tung oil is absolutely not different from linseed oil in use. It is not more waterproof and in point of fact, neither is as waterproof as bare wood. Atmospheric water is attracted by the cured oil and absorbed. I have personally confirmed this with finish tests on 1" walnut cubes many hundreds of times. And neither yellows more than the other, period.

The surface is absolutely not rougher than linseed and there is no difference in sheen. That is beyond laughable, really...

Please elucidate the concept of leaving fats and lipids in oils... (note to the Department of Redundancy Department... x 2)... The important stuff is mostly fatty acids... especially linoleic acid. The word linoleum comes from the root, hint.

There is more I could comment on but you assuredly will continue rubbing one out on the next full moon...

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
At this point does anyone give a f uck about this topic except to argue back and forth about minutae ?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by gunswizard
At this point does anyone give a f uck about this topic except to argue back and forth about minutae ?

One might think that an expert gunsmith such as yourself might be interested in learning something from your betters. Guess not. Just put your head back up your, um, in the sand! wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What part of not giving a f uck didn't you understand there d ickhead ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did you read through this whole thread just so you could get a good pissed off going? Who's the funny boy?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Unbelievable the harsh language from such a pious chick.

You’re sure involved for not giving a [bleep]. Perhaps you just don’t understand the words you’re using.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Probably the part where you fantasized about having something of value to offer. Fantasy is not part of IB's normal agenda.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I would agree, except the points being discussed are major. But I am not surprised they escaped your grasp...

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Major except for the fact the topic had been pretty thoroughly covered on the first page, after that it descended into the usual campfire insult hurling pizzing contest.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Which you so cheerfully abetted. Congrats- you stuck your sausage in the meat grinder again. (Now here comes the vituporous PM full of frothing from the mouth. I was hoping for some entertainment this chilly wet Saturday morning after being up most of the night!!)

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Minutiae is what separates a good job from an excellent job. The Devil really is in the details.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good morning there ya old windbag, you seem to have done a good job with the minutae on this one. Don't you have a boat that needs varnishing ?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Major except for the fact the topic had been pretty thoroughly covered on the first page, after that it descended into the usual campfire insult hurling pizzing contest.

I actually reread the whole thread. Substance was being added in the form of correcting major errors right up until you stepped in. You have added nothing beyond your bright and cheery little personality. And another of your whine/snivel/tantrums about everybody being mean. While you forget you are the real dickhead in the thread. Absolutely nothing you wrote helped anyone finish a stock.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thought you had the topic pretty well covered there Mr. Know-it-all guru of all things gunsmithing sir !

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thought you had the topic pretty well covered there Mr. Know-it-all guru of all things gunsmithing sir !

Now you’re getting somewhere sugar!

What a fuvck stick you are. Sad.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Minutiae is what separates a good job from an excellent job. The Devil really is in the details.

In the end, everything is a detail.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (arky65, afisher, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 8 invisible), 1,469 guests, and 753 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,594
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.