Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I seem to remember my Dad saying that the M1 Carbine was issued to guys like him......he was in a howitzer unit, truck drivers, officers, essentially behind the lines people.....who were not going to see combat unless things went to hell and they got overrun. It was handier than a full sized Garand for people to at least have something if things went to hell while not having to tote a Garand day to day. I don't know that "countless enemies" fell to it.

I would not use either but I'd use a 223 every day of the week over a carbine.....simply because of the velocity and that fact that you can get good big game bullets for it. There is probably a reason you don't see pictures of deer on boxes of 30 carbine ammo.....but ya'll use what you want. These "how much is enough" arguments never get anywhere.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

much better choices out there..........

hell even the 270........ grin

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Thanks for the responses, sentimental reasons were the primary reasons for hunting with it, its my aunts favorite rifle who if lucky is 5' tall and maybe 100 lbs. I know she's killed a bunch of deer with it, so I thought it would be cool to pay homage to her. Looking at the ammo in her clips it looks like standard ball ammo which I have no intention of using to hunt with. Honestly after I lost three fingers last month including my trigger finger I didn't have much of a urge to go hunting

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow! Sorry to read that, Irving! Hope you are coping.

Your aunt wasn't just a decent shot, she was no doubt a good hunter too. That is, she got close.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cra1948
Guy I used to work with used one exclusively. He wasn’t a gun guy... didn’t understand what the problem was when the gun guys would criticize it. He killed more deer than most of the gun guys.

It’s like any other cartridge/rifle combination: understand what it takes to kill what you’re hunting in terms of shot placement and penetration potential, use it within those parameters and you’re fine.

Sometimes we tend to judge a cartridge’s effectiveness by factors that have nothing to do with effectiveness.

The longest follow up I can recall on a deer was one hit marginally with a.30-06. I killed it wi my .44 magnum.

Just because somebody’s cousin Elrod loses half a dozen deer a year ass-shooting them with a .30 Carbine, doesn’t mean it’s no good. Elrod would lose just as many with a.30-06 because he’s a pisspoor shot. When he finally gets a.300 magnum because the .30-06 won’t put deer down fast enough, the problem will only get worse.
And a bigger gun means that it'll wound at a longer range. He wounds deer with an '06 at 400 yds because he can't shoot and the 300 Mag allows him to wound them at 500+. They never tell you how many they wound at long range, do they?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’m going to kill a deer with my .36 cal Bobcat CVA muzzleloader one of these days. Just to do it.

I have maxi bullets for it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Barnes makes a 110 Tac-TX I always wanted to use on deer....300 Blackout

Haven't yet...these Ruger American's are a handy truck gun....

110 gr Nosler or Hornady V max shoot well inside 200 yds..coyotes

Long live the 300 BO !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Guys have been hunting deer for 70+ years with the M1 Carbine. Back in the 50s and 60s you could pick them up cheap. Even in the late 80's I was able to a few that came out of Korea for $125-$150 each. Clinton ended those imports.

In all those years, the general consensus of those hunting deer with the M1 carbine is that is marginal at best, and less than a perfect shot usually lead to an unrecovered wounded deer.

Broadside shot at less than 75 years? Yeah, it will work, but don't ask for much more from it.

On another note, I used to take my M1 Carbines to our 200 yard range and use the 10" metal gong as a target. With the issued open peep sights , I could hit the gong 7/10 times on a calm day. Fun, but no tack driver.

Honestly, hunt deer with something else and save yourself the frustration of tracking and losing a deer because you were under gunned.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
One step above the AR-15 and that ain’t saying much!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by RJY66
I seem to remember my Dad saying that the M1 Carbine was issued to guys like him......he was in a howitzer unit, truck drivers, officers, essentially behind the lines people.....who were not going to see combat unless things went to hell and they got overrun. It was handier than a full sized Garand for people to at least have something if things went to hell while not having to tote a Garand day to day. I don't know that "countless enemies" fell to it.

I would not use either but I'd use a 223 every day of the week over a carbine.....simply because of the velocity and that fact that you can get good big game bullets for it. There is probably a reason you don't see pictures of deer on boxes of 30 carbine ammo.....but ya'll use what you want. These "how much is enough" arguments never get anywhere.

So what is your stand on, "These "how much is enough" arguments never get anywhere."?

What you are saying is indeed the intended purpose of the 30 Carbine when it was introduced.

The fact of the matter is that it was widely used by infantry and airborne troops in both theaters of World War II and Korea and beyond. As a result of its popularity and effectiveness, an official number of 6,121,309 of them were produced from July 1942 – August 1945 for the US military. That number far exceeds any other firearm produced for military use in WWII.

Why? Because many actual combat troops preferred it over the M1 Garand.

Is it an ideal deer rifle? No, but lets not trivialize it military importance to justify not hunting deer with one. I own two of them but I will probably will never hunt deer with one simply because I have other better choices at my disposal. That said, like Dan stated earlier,

Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Have to say a .30 carbine would not be my first choice for deer, but if it was all I had there would be no hesitation. Pretty much like plinkin’ hogs with CB Shorts, it’s all about placement.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by Broffesor11
My uncle wants to hunt with his old military M1. I was unsure of the knockdown power of the .30 carbine but right now it’s trying to find a smaller magazine that’s the problem anyways.

How small a magazine are you looking for?

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
My dad used one in the Korean War. He didn't like the stopping power at all.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RJY66

My Dad had an M1 with the stock cut down in the Sherman with him. Toward the end of the war, he had an M2 in same garb.

He was not behind the lines.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Barnes makes a 110 Tac-TX I always wanted to use on deer....300 Blackout

Haven't yet...these Ruger American's are a handy truck gun....

110 gr Nosler or Hornady V max shoot well inside 200 yds..coyotes

Long live the 300 BO !

My 7yo killed his a nice buck with a 300bo I built for him, shooting those barnes.

Last edited by killerv; 11/11/20.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Not so much a ballistics question...as it is an ethics question. Just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by MickeyD
Deer deserve to be treated with more respect than that.
Just saying.....

WTF does that even mean?

It means that if you're going to shoot a deer use a more powerful cartridge.
While the 30 carbine will kill a deer, it is marginal at best.

Last edited by MickeyD; 11/11/20.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Riddle me this. If a .45 flintlock is suitable for deer...why not the .30 Carbine? Flinter has a slight advantage in projectile weight, but less velocity....is nostalgia deadly?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
What a series of ridiculous arguments. What the .30 Carbine did in war has nothing to do with what it will do in hunting scenarios...hint: expanding bullets. Pick the right bullet and put it into the vitals from as far away as you can reliably hit them and the deer will die. Picking the right bullet is probably the hardest part of this scenario.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Riddle me this. If a .45 flintlock is suitable for deer...why not the .30 Carbine? Flinter has a slight advantage in projectile weight, but less velocity....is nostalgia deadly?

That ^ , and besides your pig hunting experience, there is always the .25-20 Jordan Buck argument too.

Being so armed, and being hungry, I would not hesitate to take the shot. Even with mine or Slummy's .36 Cal smoker.

But, I do have others I'd likely bring if I knew I'd be in that position.

Irving, I'd say go for it for sentimental reasons should you choose to.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 19rabbit52, 60 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,198
Posts18,524,104
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.