Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Shocked, I tell you, just shocked.

We know you are.. now tell us more about exploding steel at -40..

Last edited by 79S; 11/30/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Never said anything about steel exploding. That is typical inability of you not being able to understand simple english.

But then, nobody and I mean nobody really expects you to understand much of anything.

Did you get the name of 79 because your mother couldn't remember your name was chitforbrains?

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Researching the perfect Alaska hunting rifle I have learned that my OEM synthetic stock might just shatter in the Alaska cold, and that I should consider an upgrade. Is this just more innernet BS? My particular stock in question is either a Hogue or a paddle stock on a MK II Ruger.

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't worry about the stock breaking, but if you want it to go bang when you pull the trigger, it needs to be dry, as in oil free. From my experience on my firearm at -30 or colder the oil prevented the firing pin from moving fast enough to light off the primer. It was a hammer gun and it was comical watching the hammer slowly oooooze forward and then nothing....!

Maybe there is some lube nowadays that dont drag. I have found I prefer to not hunt much below -20 ish.

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Makes one more appreciate Chosin Reservoir, 1950..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by VernAK
A few years back, two of us went on a winter cow moose hunt.70 miles in by sno-go we set the wall tent and wood stove.
After camp was set, we put dinner on the stove and tried to pour a nice sundowner but the Crown Royal wouldn't pour.....froze.
How cold was that?......damned cold. The next morning we harvested our cows and headed home with no thought to rifle
metallurgy.

Damn, now that's pretty damn cold............! did a winter cow hunt out of Delta few years back, it was -30 or colder. Thank gawd for arctic ovens....! Either we had more powerful whiskey or it wasn't as cold.....!

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never said anything about steel exploding. That is typical inability of you not being able to understand simple english.

But then, nobody and I mean nobody really expects you to understand much of anything.

Did you get the name of 79 because your mother couldn't remember your name was chitforbrains?

I don’t think you even understand what you wrote.. the only chit for brains is your dumb ass.. Then again you are from Seattle so you obviously know more than the rest of us..

Mmm hmm, you shot a rifle at -40*.?

I call bullpucky on that one.

Steel don't like mass pressure at -40* there buckwheat.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'm not from Seattle.

Go back and show us where I said guns blew up.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm not from Seattle.

So you live in a suburb of Seattle....

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not from Seattle.

Stop while you are ahead Mr. Seattle..

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
I'm not from Seattle.

Yeah he pretty much told a guy he’s full of chit saying he didn’t shoot a rifle in -40 weather
This is what he posted “ Mmm hmm, you shot a rifle at -40*.?
Steel don't like mass pressure at -40* there buckwheat.”

If the last part doesn’t mean a rifle won’t blow up then what does it mean? To me and others it clearly mean the rifle will blow up.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 79S
I'm not from Seattle.

Yeah he pretty much told a guy he’s full of chit saying he didn’t shoot a rifle in -40 weather

If the last part doesn’t mean a rifle won’t blow up then what does it mean? To me and others it clearly mean the rifle will blow up.

Yeah steel not liking mass pressure at -40 sure sounds like it's gonna blow. We had one night at Rod range where it was close to 50 below and tanks were doing night fire, guess that 120mm didn't have any issues with mass pressure at 50 below, neither did the M2 or M240's....

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
I'm not from Seattle.

Yeah steel not liking mass pressure at -40 sure sounds like it's gonna blow. We had one night at Rod range where it was close to 50 below and tanks were doing night fire, guess that 120mm didn't have any issues with mass pressure at 50 below, neither did the M2 or M240's....

Remington6mm be along to tell you, you are full of chit..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Hi Dwayne,

Saw this in your first post here: "I want to say the coldest day I shot was more or less -42° though I can't recall whether I'd converted to Celsius by then or not....."

One interesting bit of trivia is that -40 is where Fahrenheit and Celsius coincide.

Mule Deer;
Good afternoon to you John, I hope that the last day of November finds you and Eileen well and since we're on the topic - warm and dry too! wink

One thing I'm dead certain of is that deep winter cold can come any time it feels like on the prairies after about the second week of October.

Thanks for reminding me of that bit of information, I believe I "used to know" that but as with too many things these days.... It's funny too in that having grown up with Imperial measures, then being around a lot of US folks and then converting to metric I'm doing all sorts of mental math gymnastics trying to make anything from temperature to fuel mileage make sense to me.

Our girls who grew up with the metric system have little patience for me when I say the house is warm at 75° when I've got the wood stove going, but will be okay talking about the temperature outside in Celsius. blush

We used to have a name for it when the weather outside was below -40° - Damn Cold! laugh I suspect nowadays some of the younger set who've spent time in the oil patch would have even more descriptive vernacular for it.

As far as hunting in the cold, when we left Saskatchewan there was only a 2 week deer season and it was in November, so if one wanted to hunt deer it was a given it would be in the cold. Similarly to what some of our Alaskan brethren have stated too, the moose season in Saskatchewan was either late November or early December since that was the only way to get into the areas to hunt.

The time I spoke of going in with my late father, it was 35 miles through mostly muskeg via snowmobile. Some years if it didn't snow enough, Dad and his hunting crew just couldn't make it in.

Lastly, someday perhaps I'll attempt to put pen to paper as it were to chronicle some of the adventures of my youth, mostly for posterity as that lifestyle is now gone as far as I can see. There will be including therein a few "Damn Cold" day stories where machinery broke in the strangest of ways, but we figured that was just par for the snow covered course back then.

Thanks again and all the best to you and Eileen as we head into the shortest days and some chillier weather on both sides of the medicine line.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
79s. "So you live in a suburb of Seattle".

I guess that means you are from 4th Ave, downtown, Anchorage? Ain't that where all the crack ho's live? You from that part of Alaska, ain't you?

Yah, go ahead and tell us about all your dad's.

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
We are lucky on the prairies that not all of the November -early December hunting season are not overly cold all month. There is always at least a miserable week.

There have been a few years from very early November right into December it was “damn cold” as Dwayne said above with deep snow all season.

If you didn’t hunt -30 to -40 you did not hunt.

Lots of our late season cow elk hunting is in December - January up in Peace River country. That’s damn cold.

On a side note thanks to all the Alaskans, folks from Northern USA and Canada who have kept this thread interesting and pleasant despite the prodding to descend into the all too common internet flame and bitch session.

Hope y’all had wonderful thanksgivings.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by szihn
It gets -40 here too occasionally (very rarely) and I never had any such problems with any of my firearms in the cold. I don't go out shooting much at those temps however, but I do have firearms in the truck bed held in clamps on the roll bar, and I have used them to kill coyotes and sometimes a cow if they needed to be put down. I use Mobile 1 full synthetic 90% mixed 10% ATF for all my guns. I have not found anything that works better so far. From as cold as it gets to as hot as it gets in Wyoming, my guns have always worked. Any guns that I'd worry about are not guns I keep. The one that gets the most "outside carry" is an AK47 and it's been 100% reliable in every case I ever fired it. No jams, no misfires and no malfunctions of any kind ..........ever.

When I was a younger man (much younger man) I was a Marine in Force Recon and we did train in ALL KINDS of conditions. The coldest place I ever trained in was north of Ft Greeley in a combined Army, Air Force and Marine Corp operation, or the time we cross-trained with the Canadian Army in northern Yukon. We fired M60s and M16s and the Canadians fired MAG machine Guns and FALs (C1s I think they called them) It was early February north of Ft Greeley, and it was December/January with the Canadians. Keeping the weapons dry lubed was important, but no breakages were reported that I know of. In Yukon I don't know how cold it was, but it was going from -55 to -67 in the Ft Greeley Op. It was about the same in Yukon.

So the idea that the guns would break is not something I would tend to believe. All of them had plastic stocks, hand-guards and grips. And our M16s were made of Aluminum too. If you get them wet from heating up and melting some snow on them it's important to get them blown out so they don't cool and clog with ice. So using weapons in such cold conditions is something you have to learn about, but breaking them was not what we saw. I never did anyway.........

Lubes were used but their main function was to keep the ice from adhering. The Canadians brought a cold weather oil which I think was an automatic transmission fluid. A light coat and the ice could be shoved off the metal. It would not grab the steel. The US Army had some kind of cold weather lube, (not LSA bus something with 3 letters. I can't remember what it was called now) and it seemed to work somewhat, but not as well as what the Canadians give us. One Candida soldier told me it was not something made for firearms, but was what they got from their truckers. It was pink in color.

Lubricant Arctic Weight (LAW)

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I guess that means you are from 4th Ave, downtown, Anchorage? Ain't that where all the crack ho's live? You from that part of Alaska, ain't you?

When one is in a hole , one should quit digging

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Just scrolled back noticed lots of poster from the southern USA are being cordial and informative as well. My apologies for ignoring y’all in my post above.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You are so dumb you don’t realize who said what, that was Yetti that said you lived in the suburbs. I said your retard ass lives in Seattle.. now tell us again about exploding steel at -40..

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Originally Posted by szihn
It gets -40 here too occasionally (very rarely) and I never had any such problems with any of my firearms in the cold. I don't go out shooting much at those temps however, but I do have firearms in the truck bed held in clamps on the roll bar, and I have used them to kill coyotes and sometimes a cow if they needed to be put down. I use Mobile 1 full synthetic 90% mixed 10% ATF for all my guns. I have not found anything that works better so far. From as cold as it gets to as hot as it gets in Wyoming, my guns have always worked. Any guns that I'd worry about are not guns I keep. The one that gets the most "outside carry" is an AK47 and it's been 100% reliable in every case I ever fired it. No jams, no misfires and no malfunctions of any kind ..........ever.

When I was a younger man (much younger man) I was a Marine in Force Recon and we did train in ALL KINDS of conditions. The coldest place I ever trained in was north of Ft Greeley in a combined Army, Air Force and Marine Corp operation, or the time we cross-trained with the Canadian Army in northern Yukon. We fired M60s and M16s and the Canadians fired MAG machine Guns and FALs (C1s I think they called them) It was early February north of Ft Greeley, and it was December/January with the Canadians. Keeping the weapons dry lubed was important, but no breakages were reported that I know of. In Yukon I don't know how cold it was, but it was going from -55 to -67 in the Ft Greeley Op. It was about the same in Yukon.

So the idea that the guns would break is not something I would tend to believe. All of them had plastic stocks, hand-guards and grips. And our M16s were made of Aluminum too. If you get them wet from heating up and melting some snow on them it's important to get them blown out so they don't cool and clog with ice. So using weapons in such cold conditions is something you have to learn about, but breaking them was not what we saw. I never did anyway.........

Lubes were used but their main function was to keep the ice from adhering. The Canadians brought a cold weather oil which I think was an automatic transmission fluid. A light coat and the ice could be shoved off the metal. It would not grab the steel. The US Army had some kind of cold weather lube, (not LSA bus something with 3 letters. I can't remember what it was called now) and it seemed to work somewhat, but not as well as what the Canadians give us. One Candida soldier told me it was not something made for firearms, but was what they got from their truckers. It was pink in color.

Lubricant Arctic Weight (LAW)

I never been able to find that stuff, probably have it wainwright and greely

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1234, 16penny, 64 invisible), 2,572 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,465
Posts18,471,363
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.