Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

What size is the target?

And it’s not necessarily just the shooting, it’s the rifle work in general. I’m shocked when a former army guy can zero his rifle at 50 yards without help, much less hit anything at distance.

An E-Type is approximately 20x40 the inches. It is huge. It’s also interesting when people bring up Marines and shooting at 500 yards.... their target is 6’x6’. Yes- 6 feet by 6 feet.

The military is garbage at shooting, and the only reason they don’t know it is because they shoot massive targets, with ridiculous amounts of time to do so, and they don’t compete in the civilian world in action matches. And no, the special people aren’t any better. They only way someone will be truly good at shooting is if they compete- military or not.

Gees still pissed at Mackay Sagebrush??

Last edited by 79S; 06/19/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

You arent shooting 3" groups, from what im seeing. Your target at 100 yards is clearly 6" at best. You'd also have to shoot multiple 10 shot groups and get an average, to really evaluate the situation. Im laughing here because you want us to evaluate your groups, but you refuse to use better ammo and want to argue the fact that the majority of us are saying that ammo is garbage. When i take ammo, put it in any of my ar's and im shooting 3"+ groups at 100, its plain and simple chidt ammo. Im talking me and my ammo personally, .

So you don't like the ammo I'm using. Don't use it.
You don't like it that I won't use a scope. Go ahead and use a scope...

Don't wanna evaluate my groups? Ignore them.

News flash;
You aint the only shooter here with any knowledge
You aint the best
And you aint the brightest

Everyone here has been helpful. Even some of what you say has been right and helpful. But your piss ignorant attitude and superior condescending remarks are a waste of time and breathe with me. I'm fully capable of ignoring you without ever resorting to the "ignore button"

Didn't come to this place looking to impress you. Don't care what you think of what I do.
Just so's we're clear...

Carry on...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by 79S

? Why would I be upset with an anonymous name on the internet?

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

? Why would I be upset with an anonymous name on the internet?

Oh ok...

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m with Formy.

I’d say of the thousands people I knew in the military, I’m in the top 25% of shooters.

Of the hundreds of people I know who compete, I’m easily in the bottom 25%

Shooting a lot (.mil) and shooting good are different things.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will take a squad of dick beaters all day long and twice On Sunday.. for you guys that were in the Air Force or never in the service that’s a squad of infantryman..

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I’m with Formy.

I’d say of the thousands people I knew in the military, I’m in the top 25% of shooters.

The point being anyone can be taught to shoot the AR platform proficiently. After that it’s on the shooter to hone or perfect that. Shooting chitty ammo and running peep sights one is already handicapped.. [bleep] putting a simple 4x scope on it will help the shooter by a country mile..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A big part of honing and perfecting that skill is knowing exactly how good or bad you are. Most people have no idea.

The sizes of those targets posted don't do anyone any favors. They just give guys a false sense of ability.

Last edited by Bluedreaux; 06/20/20.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A big part of honing and perfecting that skill is knowing exactly how good or bad you are. Most people have no idea.

The sizes of those targets posted don't do anyone any favors. They just give guys a false sense of ability.

I still think it's kind of a remarkable thing to take anyone with no firearms experience and on the first day they fire a weapon they will hit targets at 450 yards. And yeah, that target is 20X40" but the ones we fired at were reactive pop-ups on a timer. The close ones were timed quicker than the longer ones, but I don't for the life of me remember what the nominal times were.

I'll agree that this system doesn't turn out accomplished riflemen. If you're gonna be any good, you'll get there on your own. And though my only experience was with bowling pins and bullseye, I'll agree that practical style competition is the key to excellence.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I agree 100%, shooting off bipod for AR tactical I’m pretty damn good.. shooting with sling and glove I’m bringing up the rear with other noobs. This is all NRA mid range prone shoots. In 2 gun or 3 gun I would be the guy everyone is laughing at 🤪.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by johnw

You arent shooting 3" groups, from what im seeing. Your target at 100 yards is clearly 6" at best. You'd also have to shoot multiple 10 shot groups and get an average, to really evaluate the situation. Im laughing here because you want us to evaluate your groups, but you refuse to use better ammo and want to argue the fact that the majority of us are saying that ammo is garbage. When i take ammo, put it in any of my ar's and im shooting 3"+ groups at 100, its plain and simple chidt ammo. Im talking me and my ammo personally, .

News flash;
You aint the best

Everyone here has been helpful. Even some of what you say has been right and helpful. But your piss ignorant attitude and superior condescending remarks are a waste of time and breathe with me. I'm fully capable of ignoring you without ever resorting to the "ignore button"

Didn't come to this place looking to impress you. Don't care what you think of what I do.
Just so's we're clear...

Carry on...

You are a stupid fu ck, if you aren't willing to change things that were suggested to you to better evaluate your set-up. One thing I can tell you is I'm a whole hell of a lot better than you. Carry on though and keep shooting those chitty fu cking groups. It's pretty laughable, to say the least.. Also, there is no one here that has proven they can shoot irons better than I did in the black rifle challenge here, so if you aren't willing to listen to someone that knows what they are talking about, you can keep being bottom of the barrel. Its pretty obvious, its you and your ammo that is lacking. You don't want to swallow the truth, that is too fu cking bad.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it would be a good idea to re-evaluate the value placed on an online bullseye shooting match.

Last edited by Bluedreaux; 06/20/20.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think it would be a good idea to re-evaluate the value placed on an online bullseye shooting match.

Yep

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw

News flash;
You aint the best

Just so's we're clear...

Carry on...

You are a stupid fu ck, if you aren't willing to change things that were suggested to you to better evaluate your set-up. One thing I can tell you is I'm a whole hell of a lot better than you. Carry on though and keep shooting those chitty fu cking groups. It's pretty laughable, to say the least.. Also, there is no one here that has proven they can shoot irons better than I did in the black rifle challenge here, so if you aren't willing to listen to someone that knows what they are talking about, you can keep being bottom of the barrel. Its pretty obvious, its you and your ammo that is lacking. You don't want to swallow the truth, that is too fu cking bad.

Jesus take a ph ucking breath and have someone rub your ears
There is a fella who shoots at the reduced yardage matches at 100yds. This guy can clean it up, especially slow fire that’s his money maker. But you get him on the actual 600yd line he’s absolutely horrible.. He even admits it, on occasion I have slung it up and shot with a glove at 600yds. I was pretty damn proud of myself shooting a 175..

Last edited by 79S; 06/21/20.

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I’m with Formy.

My experience is over 4 decades old, but I do not remember most units shooting a lot when I was active duty. I was in a military police unit at Ft Bragg. My first CO there was very enthusiastic about training and did spend unit funds to advance and encourage marksmanship. And we had a First Sergeant who knew how to make things happen. There was actually a waiting list of guys from other units who would beg to shoot with us.

And we weren't the only unit who did this, but it didn't happen everywhere. I was able to get some range time on occasion with a couple of companies from the 505.

My best military shooting came about through the auspices of the Ft Bragg AMTU, which was just a couple of buildings from our barracks. Every unit in my battalion sent troops each time AMTU offered classes or shooting opportunities. And with a letter from AMTU our units allowed us to take either our weapons, or drawn weapons from their arms room out to range 10, as activities and range space allowed.
Range 10 had some real talent and a more relaxed and instructive atmosphere. Those were good days.

But to reiterate, most units did range quals maybe once a year. And even in combat arms units it didn't seem like much of a priority. There was an organized range at McKellars Lodge, on post that was often quite busy, but mostly with guys shooting their hunting rifles.
Same story with a couple of the unofficial ranges. Lots of troops getting trigger time with their personal arms either at a place out on Little River called the Moore County Dunes, or the abandoned armor firing range just outside of Spring Lake.
A guy could spend a half day at the dunes and fire more rounds than he would in a couple of years with some units.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

johnw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just read my above post and had to grin in remembrance...

Leg MPs didn't catch any sh-it at all riding with a platoon of Abn Infantry in cattle cars to the range. grin

"Chances Will Be Taken"

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

What size is the target?

And it’s not necessarily just the shooting, it’s the rifle work in general. I’m shocked when a former army guy can zero his rifle at 50 yards without help, much less hit anything at distance.

An E-Type is approximately 20x40 the inches. It is huge. It’s also interesting when people bring up Marines and shooting at 500 yards.... their target is 6’x6’. Yes- 6 feet by 6 feet.

The military is garbage at shooting, and the only reason they don’t know it is because they shoot massive targets, with ridiculous amounts of time to do so, and they don’t compete in the civilian world in action matches. And no, the special people aren’t any better. They only way someone will be truly good at shooting is if they compete- military or not.

I disagree. Your statement reveals both ignorance and lack of experience. I have 34+ years of military service, both enlisted and commissioned. On average, the military shooters I’ve served with were above average to excellent shooters; certainly better than the average civilian shooters I’ve also shot with across five different states. Military shooters are trained to hit man-sized targets at a variety of ranges; static and moving. I’ll agree that live fire training needs to increase across the board and that as you wrote once, “going to the range should be as easy as going to the gym” but given the current training, my money is on Pvt. Ryan every day.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by krummarine

What size is the target?

I disagree. Your statement reveals both ignorance and lack of experience. I have 34+ years of military service, both enlisted and commissioned. On average, the military shooters I’ve served with were above average to excellent shooters; certainly better than the average civilian shooters I’ve also shot with across five different states. Military shooters are trained to hit man-sized targets at a variety of ranges; static and moving. I’ll agree that live fire training needs to increase across the board and that as you wrote once, “going to the range should be as easy as going to the gym” but given the current training, my money is on Pvt. Ryan every day.

What Army did you serve in?

Not the same one I did.

23 out of 40 on an 800 square inch target is not very impressive.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,455 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,447
Posts18,489,641
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.