Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

What size is the target?

And it’s not necessarily just the shooting, it’s the rifle work in general. I’m shocked when a former army guy can zero his rifle at 50 yards without help, much less hit anything at distance.

An E-Type is approximately 20x40 the inches. It is huge. It’s also interesting when people bring up Marines and shooting at 500 yards.... their target is 6’x6’. Yes- 6 feet by 6 feet.

The military is garbage at shooting, and the only reason they don’t know it is because they shoot massive targets, with ridiculous amounts of time to do so, and they don’t compete in the civilian world in action matches. And no, the special people aren’t any better. They only way someone will be truly good at shooting is if they compete- military or not.

I disagree. Your statement reveals both ignorance and lack of experience. I have 34+ years of military service, both enlisted and commissioned. On average, the military shooters I’ve served with were above average to excellent shooters; certainly better than the average civilian shooters I’ve also shot with across five different states. Military shooters are trained to hit man-sized targets at a variety of ranges; static and moving. I’ll agree that live fire training needs to increase across the board and that as you wrote once, “going to the range should be as easy as going to the gym” but given the current training, my money is on Pvt. Ryan every day.