Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
If it is that big, the OP’s original group size was sufficient.

And it explains why army guys are so consistently poor at rifle work.

Yes we are piss poor shots.. lol..

What size is the target?

And it’s not necessarily just the shooting, it’s the rifle work in general. I’m shocked when a former army guy can zero his rifle at 50 yards without help, much less hit anything at distance.

I can’t find reference to it in the Army manuals but I wasn’t looking to hard. I will ask one of the ft rich range control guys next time I see one. Those former army guys you see must of been cooks or supply.. lol.

I shoot with a lot of guys that have had different training. One gunny sarge from Quantico, some/many from the vietnam era in my club. The old guys like that are dying off too fast these days. They bring a lot to the table, but in general, the gunny "sarge", the airborne ranger, and the ex snipers we have at my club are great shots. Even with their aging eyesight etc. But, I agree, not all army guys are like that. I was at the range the other day when a new member showed up with her boyfriend and he was an ex marine. Younger guy in his late 20's maybe 30 at most and shot like chidt. He kind of got pizzed when his girlfriend was razzing him that I was shooting better than he was and I was using irons. I was't there to compete against that damn guy. He was using the typical macho azz 300wm and big ol leupold. Couldn't hit chidt though. I didnt' even know she was giving him a hard time until my airborne ranger buddy started talking to me. He was shooting to the left of me at one bench and the couple were to the left of him. The punk marine kid finally said his "sniper" buddy would give me a run for my money. But we've all heard that talk, until money gets thrown down on the bench...

OP, I went out and bought a rifle with real iron sights, just to see what all the fuss is about. Rifle and my handloads shoot pretty good. Military M193 55gr FMJ chidt, not so much.. Surprisingly, though, my buddies rifle loves the 62gr green tip M885 ammo.. If you are just wanting to buy cheap ammo to run through your rifle, maybe try looking for some of that and see how your rifle likes it..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA