Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by johnw
And I just ordered a mil-spec carry handle from PSA. Supposedly in stock...

That is a good start. I don't have any of My AR's free floated and for their mission in life i don't need them free floated. Minute of bad guy or coyote is good enough for that.

kwg

With those standards, maybe that's all the better the op should expect. He's asking why his groups suck. A non freefloated handguard could be one of the issues.. What I'm seeing here is he doesn't know what barrel manufacture he's using, his trigger sucks, using crap ammo, not using a freefloated handguard, type of rest used is not specified and he's wondering why his groups suck..

Believe me I do appreciate all commentary and advice. Please don't feel slighted if I don't jump into all sorts of deviations on the AR platform such as free floating a barrel. Especially a barrel that has, by necessity, a gas block and tube attached.
And while it may be that the forearm is the issue, I expect that technique played a larger part.
I've also had some advice given on better loads for the rifle, and have acted on that issue.

Near the top of the thread I detailed exactly what I used for a rest, and it is shown in the pics provided. It was not a well thought out item but a week ago I was a guy who had a lower stashed away and no idea if I'd ever use it. I now have an upper which appears to be functional, a small stash of ammo that was safed away with the lower, half a can of ammo that I ordered the day I sent for the lower, and another 1200 rounds I ordered tonight.

In point of fact I cannot name the barrel manufacturer. I bought the complete upper as a unit from a distributor. Maybe they know where the barrel came from. I think it's as likely that they use a number of sources who manufacture to a set of specs.
Not a lot of guarantees in life worth noting, and there's the possibility that this barrel just won't shoot. With what little time I have into it there are more questions than answers. Fortunately, I have the time and the will to pursue answers. Because of my background and training, I'm going to reject calls for specialized and upgraded equipment, at least initially.
If I eventually find that the barrel won't shoot, I'll replace it. But I'm still gonna be looking for a traditional style set-up. It's what I want if I'm gonna use this as I intend.

If I was to try and compete for group size I'd approach things differently

"Chances Will Be Taken"