Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
I sure wish they made a Labrador retriever in 50% size.

They do...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Take a good long hard look at Boykin Spaniels. That’s exactly what they are.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got 2 great dogs from here. You need to be patient but the right one will pop up. I got a 9mo male from them that will track wounded game to the ends of the earth.

https://www.mdgsprescue.org/

Last edited by rlott; 01/13/21.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by rlott
Got 2 great dogs from here. You need to be patient but the right one will pop up. I got a 9mo male from them that will track wounded game to the ends of the earth.

https://www.mdgsprescue.org/

It’s for some and not for others.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have ten dogs of different breeds. Two are Beagles. I have owned many Beagles. Best dogs ever.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve been an upland hunter for over fifty years and around or have owned GSP, GWP, Pudel pointers, English Pointers, Brit and Springer Spaniels, labs, and a bunch more.

The pointers are just high energy and mine had no “off buttons” and demanded significant time every day. Labs as you know are a little more relaxed as a group. My last GWP, smooth coat needed 6-8 miles a day at 10 mph just to take the edge off..minimum.

Some of the fashion breeds (Goldendoodle, labradoodles) are very nice handsome dogs with good dispositions and don’t shed. Another is the Schnoodle (pure bred Schnauzer and Poodle cross). These three come in small, medium and large though sometimes that’s a crap shoot when ordering a pup..

My daughter has a labradoodle they ordered as a “small” and it’s now fifty lbs, beautiful, intelligent, great with the kids, and I could tell it would be a heck of a hunter with some experience and training.

Dogs do add a lot to life.

We added this little 7-month old Schnoodle to our home this summer. About 12 lbs now. Will be about a twenty pound dog.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] rings a lot of enjoyment.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 01/13/21.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My Brittany had an excellent temperament, was loyal and I could not have asked for a better dog. I used to bring him along on rabbit hunts and the dog handlers would comment about how he never "messed up the dogs". He even retrieved a number of rabbits that once shot, were lost in the honeysuckle vines.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
I’ve been an upland hunter for over fifty years and around or have owned GSP, GWP, Pudel pointers, English Pointers, Brit and Springer Spaniels, labs, and a bunch more.

The pointers are just high energy and mine had no “off buttons” and demanded significant time every day. Labs as you know are a little more relaxed as a group. My last GWP, smooth coat needed 6-8 miles a day at 10 mph just to take the edge off..minimum.

Some of the fashion breeds (Goldendoodle, labradoodles) are very nice handsome dogs with good dispositions and don’t shed. Another is the Schnoodle (pure bred Schnauzer and Poodle cross). These three come in small, medium and large though sometimes that’s a crap shoot when ordering a pup..

My daughter has a labradoodle they ordered as a “small” and it’s now fifty lbs, beautiful, intelligent, great with the kids, and I could tell it would be a heck of a hunter with some experience and training.

We added this little 7-month old Schnoodle to our home this summer. About 12 lbs now. Will be about a twenty pound dog.

@deflave

Would you mind?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

My last dog was a beagle. I really loved that hound BUT she was very hard headed...really difficult to train, took years. She became sort of trainable after she dug under a fence, ran away, got hit by a car and ended up with a false hip. Vets will tell you that beagles are often hit by cars because they are so dominated by their nose. They will walk in front of a train if they are on to something that smells good. They will run off.

I would get a poodle. No shedding, athletic, very intelligent, easy to train, quiet. Find one from European hunting heritage if you want a hunting dog, if no big deal to you then get on from pet type breeder. Avoid a show dog breeder. Get one 25-45 pounds.

Last edited by RinB; 01/13/21.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by horse1
I grew up with labs. I got out of college, employed, ready for a dog and happened into an impossible to pass situation for an English Cocker. That was 2001. Now on my 3rd EC, he's 1 and just as delightful as the last 2. He's a loyal and affectionate pet for 9Mo of the year then turns into an upland bird hunting machine for 3Mo.

Opening morning of Pheasant season @ ~9Mo old he spent 10Min in 8'+ tall cattails, part of that time having to swim to find a dead bird that sailed into them. Came out with the dead bird. He was soaked, muddy, and proudly wagging his tail just under the speed of light.

This is not the bird from the cattails described above but is the dog described:

[Linked Image]

He's resting quietly on his bed in my office. When he needs an ear-scratch or tummy-rub he'll come over and paw softly for a bit of attention. We hunted Sharptails, huns, ruffed grouse, and pheasants this fall and he'll suffice for all of them.

I have been considering an English Cocker as my next dog. Do you have any recommended breeders?

You can take your pick of any of the 3 in Bismarck ND. Oahe Kennels (Tom Ness), Absolute Gun Dogs (Dan Murray), Glencoe Kennels (Paul McGagh). All 3 specialize in Spaniels, Cockers and Springers. I'd not hesitate to nab an EC or Springer from any of them. The springers I've seen out of all 3 kennels all run on the small side, 40# and less has been my experience.

The EC's will hunt upland game in any cover you sent them into. My last 2 would also retrieve waterfowl, current dog hasn't had the opportunity yet. I'm not much of a waterfowler and though they'll do almost anything you command them to, I'd not ask an EC to jump into frigid water, they don't have the coat and none of mine have had enough fat on them for a regular diet of that.

My 3 have all been "house dogs" and as such don't develop a super-thick cold-weather coat. 0F ambient is about the limit for hunting for the 3 I've owned. I can't say I enjoy things much colder than that either.........

Last edited by horse1; 01/13/21.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Catahoula.

Better not to take the shot, than to screw it up.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Sit down, dogs have gone up.

That's the truth. Bought our Airedale from a breeder 5 years ago for $1,200. Their site now lists them for close to 3k.

That's ridiculous.

For a good one, no it's not.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have had 4 Brittanys great dog.I cut there hair about every 3 months real short no issues with shedding .Great temperament good with kids.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We've never bought a dog...or cat. Most just show up and refuse leave. The dumpsters down the road always have strays that some Ahole's threw out.

Life is good live it while you can.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

IIRC wildrose kennel has what he called canoe labs.
They avg 45 lbs .
I have two TT British labs. Ben is 58 , my pup Rip will probably go 75

The recommendation for a standard poodle is a good choice to . A good standard can be used for almost anything. Smart dogs.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Sponxx

Thinking Beagle, Vizsla, Brittany Spaniel, Lab
Any other breeds I should also look for, that meet some or all of these requirements?

- short hair or non shedding midlength coat (like a Brittany Spaniel at the most)
- Good with kids
- Trainable for obedience/tricks maybe some fetch. No need for field trials

If you think any of those are a good choice for your needs, you have a lot to learn about dogs.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Labradoodles are not dogs.

They are mutts assembled in some moron's backyard.

If you want a lab get a lab. If you want a full size poodle get a full size poodle.

Both make great bird dogs if purchased from a reputable breeder.

Labradoodles rank right up there with "silver labs."

AVOID.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Rescue a dog from a shelter.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by horse1
I grew up with labs. I got out of college, employed, ready for a dog and happened into an impossible to pass situation for an English Cocker. That was 2001. Now on my 3rd EC, he's 1 and just as delightful as the last 2. He's a loyal and affectionate pet for 9Mo of the year then turns into an upland bird hunting machine for 3Mo.

Opening morning of Pheasant season @ ~9Mo old he spent 10Min in 8'+ tall cattails, part of that time having to swim to find a dead bird that sailed into them. Came out with the dead bird. He was soaked, muddy, and proudly wagging his tail just under the speed of light.

This is not the bird from the cattails described above but is the dog described:

[Linked Image]

He's resting quietly on his bed in my office. When he needs an ear-scratch or tummy-rub he'll come over and paw softly for a bit of attention. We hunted Sharptails, huns, ruffed grouse, and pheasants this fall and he'll suffice for all of them.

That's a great pic.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Labradoodles are not dogs.

They are mutts assembled in some moron's backyard.

You mean like most people?

There are actually many other breeds — could make a list because of inherited tendencies to medical problems and poor physical structure — about which that could be said other than the L- and G- doodles.

The many resulting breeds - some good, some not - are the result of genotype mixing to obtain favorable traits. Most of these ‘doodles are outright good-looking dogs with good personalities, smart, and can have the heritage to be good hunters. And they don’t shed.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 01/14/21.
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, beefan, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,440 guests, and 784 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.