Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by RufusG
The answer is for the manufacturers to keep cranking 24/7 until supply catches demand.

The manufacturers are estimating that that will take well over a year.

Not the case at all. They virtually all will tell you they are way more than a year out. Most closer to two years and they have quit taking orders.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'm betting the same thing is happening with loaded ammo, it leaves the factory by way of distributors but gets routed to others before most of hit hits the store shelves.

There is no doubt in my mind that a lot of this goes on. The store owners funnel the ammo shipments to a second party who then sells it for them at some online auction site for 4 or 5 times the usual price. All the while telling the customers who come by the store that they just can't get anything in because of the shortage. It's a win, win for the store owners. They make 4 times as much profit off the ammo but avoid the accusation of price gouging because they aren't selling it off their actual store shelves for those inflated prices. People tend to remember that time they just needed a box of ammo to take their kid hunting and you charged them 80 bucks for a 16 dollar box of Winchester Power Points. But this way they get to sell it at those prices without any of their usual customers knowing it's actually them doing the selling. I say if you are going to be a price gouging a-hole then don't be a p#ssy about it. Put it out in your store for those prices.

The best thing we could all do right now is just stop buying ammo for a while. One of the best things that could possibly happen would be if over the next 2 months every ammo auction at places like Gunbroker ran their course and closed without receiving a single bid. I'm not saying that would solve everything but it would be a damn good first step. As long as people keep freeking out like there is never going to be any ammo again this will not get better. As long as people keep paying 70 bucks for a 20 round box of federal power shocks then I promise you that is exactly what they are going to keep charging your @$$ for them.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Wal-Mart and every other store should double the price of ammo and do it every two weeks until it starts to sit on the shelf for longer than 30 minutes.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by JoeBob
No, the reason ammo makers don’t want to invest heavily in new manufacturing facilities is because there is no actual shortage. This is a bubble. Given that .22 LR alone amounts to four or five billion rounds a year produced, there could literally be hundreds of billions of rounds of ammunition in the US alone. There is no shortage. This is the Tulip Bubble. Eventually, people will realize that there is all this ammo out there and demand will drop to virtually nothing, maybe for a long long time.

Bingo!

You only have to go back a year to see that what you said about increasing capacity is true. Just like before, everyone without ammo is calling for manufacturers to make big investments to increase capacity just because they lacked prudence. Supplies caught up quickly after the last bubble, and will again, barring government interference, which can’t be ruled out. Meanwhile, there are ways to overcome the supply issues, but putting on a pouty face and fussing at business owners ain’t one of them.

You mentioned tulips. Remember the Great Beany Baby Boom? I saw one go for $2500.

This is absurd and inane to the extreme. Conflating firearms and ammo with the Tulip Mania and the Beanie Babies BS shows a serious lack of reasoning power. Your government is going to control you though keeping tulips and stuffed animals out of your hands? There is a massive global black market for tulips and Beanie Babies? Inner city gangs are arming themselves with Beanie Babies? Cops are packing 30 tulip clips in their magazines?

I was discussing the market. You’re the one making bat-[bleep]-crazy assertions about someone pressuring manufacturers to not increase production.

Take your meds and go into your bunker for a nap, dipschitt.

Who needs to make cogent arguments pointing to obvious holes in the story we are given, explaining all the visible market forces, but conclusively arguing that those don't describe the behavior we see? Apparently, "Take your med and go into your bunker for a nap, dipschitt" is a well-reasoned rebuttal.

Fuucking retards around here. I'd be surprised to hear you can wipe your ass right. Isn't your secret crush on Fox right now? Better tune in.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
No, the reason ammo makers don’t want to invest heavily in new manufacturing facilities is because there is no actual shortage. This is a bubble. Given that .22 LR alone amounts to four or five billion rounds a year produced, there could literally be hundreds of billions of rounds of ammunition in the US alone. There is no shortage. This is the Tulip Bubble. Eventually, people will realize that there is all this ammo out there and demand will drop to virtually nothing, maybe for a long long time.

Bingo!

You only have to go back a year to see that what you said about increasing capacity is true. Just like before, everyone without ammo is calling for manufacturers to make big investments to increase capacity just because they lacked prudence. Supplies caught up quickly after the last bubble, and will again, barring government interference, which can’t be ruled out. Meanwhile, there are ways to overcome the supply issues, but putting on a pouty face and fussing at business owners ain’t one of them.

You mentioned tulips. Remember the Great Beany Baby Boom? I saw one go for $2500.

This is absurd and inane to the extreme. Conflating firearms and ammo with the Tulip Mania and the Beanie Babies BS shows a serious lack of reasoning power. Your government is going to control you though keeping tulips and stuffed animals out of your hands? There is a massive global black market for tulips and Beanie Babies? Inner city gangs are arming themselves with Beanie Babies? Cops are packing 30 tulip clips in their magazines?

I was discussing the market. You’re the one making bat-[bleep]-crazy assertions about someone pressuring manufacturers to not increase production.

All they have to do is flip that “increase production switch” and there would be plenty of ammo.

More inane and idiotic assertions. You must have done quite well in public school.

I laid out some basics, as have others, as to why there are MASSIVE motivations to invest in increased production. Since production is scalable to a large extent, there is only a small fixed barrier to the minimum outlay of capital to begin to step up production to meet permanent increased demand. And since "panic buying" has created a demand that far outstrips production for the next few years, and the manufacturers could charge at least 500% of what they charged just last January moving forward, the only barrier to beginning to increase capitalization of production is?

Go ahead and come up with a cogent answer. I'd like to hear one.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
1. Define “minimum” outlay of capital.

2. Define “permanent” increase in demand

3. Define “production” both now and once these increases in production you advocate have occurred.

4. Predict actions by Congress over the next six months and how those actions might affect not only the market and demand, but the legalities around the manufacture and sale of ammunition.

Then once you’ve done all that, pretend you are an ammo company and I am a bank, and you are asking me for a loan to build new production facilities. And of course, assume that I am not a “woke” bank and predisposed against loaning you money merely because I dislike your business.

Last edited by JoeBob; 01/27/21.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Even if the ability to increase production is found and available, increases in production always impact current quality control measures.

And, what is the BIGGEST liability that manufacturers of ammunition face? Quality control.
The product liability policies they purchase may be the biggest factor which dictates production goals.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
The solution is for the manufacturers to take a free market approach and charge what the market will bare. The scalpers aren't to blame, they're just addressing a market inefficiency. Some people will complain, but right now the extra profit to be made in ammunition sales is going to scalpers. The manufacturers are understandably worried about investing in a bunch of new machinery only to have the market go flat and still be on the hook for paying it off. Right now the incentive for them to increase production is limited by there artificially low prices. Obviously, there would be more incentive if they were the ones pocketing the profits.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Hastings
They don't have to set up a mass shooting. One will happen. Then we will hear it all. Rifle was brought across state lines, he had 4,000 rounds, rifle was left unlocked, he was mentally ill, he posted right wing thoughts on social media, he campaigned for Trump and attended several rallies.

Except mass shooting events have always been perpetrated by Ds.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by RufusG
The answer is for the manufacturers to keep cranking 24/7 until supply catches demand.

The manufacturers are estimating that that will take well over a year.

Not the case at all. They virtually all will tell you they are way more than a year out. Most closer to two years and they have quit taking orders.

How is "closer to two years" different from "over a year?"

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by slumlord
We can’t buy anything around a military base. EVERBODy shoots and all the retirees are hoarder-preppers, which whatever I sort of am too. And Im not bitching cause was a I visionary since 1994.

Two events turned me into a ‘weirdo’ prepper’ type.

And ice storm that cut our power off and even power in some parts of town for 10-14 days.

And the AWB, 10 round mag BS

Should you sell off some of that ammo at 7x what you paid for it now?

Or wait for 10x or 15x?

Capitalist here.. just askin.

Lol!

My kids or grandkids can either shoot it, burn it, or sell it for whatever they can get after I die. I really won't care at that point.

Unless, of course, I get "SWATed" before then. And then everyone can read in the paper about all the "Sniper Rifles" and the "huge" ammo cache they confiscated. They might even mention "high capacity" lever action "assault rifles"

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Wal-Mart and every other store should double the price of ammo and do it every two weeks until it starts to sit on the shelf for longer than 30 minutes.

That's what I argued during the post-Sandy Hook .22 rimfire shortage. That way, if you really needed some .22, you wouldn't need to line up at the store's entrance two hours before opening and then have a foot race to the gun counter when the doors open. You could come any time you wanted, and it would be on the shelf. You'd just have to be more frugal in how much you purchased and used. This would allow production to catch up, followed by a lowering of prices. Instead, Walmart kept their prices as they had always been, and their entire stock was cleaned out within the first hour after a delivery, then resold at a gun show for actual market prices.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I

And every Tom, Dick, and gun toting Harry in the nation would be cussing the retailers or the manufacturer for price gouging and calling for a boycott of their business.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
One shop I check in weekly has had 22lr sitting for months, because it was 100 a brick where everyone else was 40-50 depending on count/brand. I thought he was crazy, and i guess he was at the time....he sold it all the past week and now isn't sitting on squat for inventory.

Last edited by killerv; 01/27/21.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Willto
I'm betting the same thing is happening with loaded ammo, it leaves the factory by way of distributors but gets routed to others before most of hit hits the store shelves.

There is no doubt in my mind that a lot of this goes on. The store owners funnel the ammo shipments to a second party who then sells it for them at some online auction site for 4 or 5 times the usual price. All the while telling the customers who come by the store that they just can't get anything in because of the shortage. It's a win, win for the store owners.

You really 007'd the shiznit outta the ammo/components snit. To what address should the crown deliver your PPK and Aston-Martin?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Bingo!

All they have to do is flip that “increase production switch” and there would be plenty of ammo.

More inane and idiotic assertions. You must have done quite well in public school.

I laid out some basics, as have others, as to why there are MASSIVE motivations to invest in increased production. Since production is scalable to a large extent, there is only a small fixed barrier to the minimum outlay of capital to begin to step up production to meet permanent increased demand. And since "panic buying" has created a demand that far outstrips production for the next few years, and the manufacturers could charge at least 500% of what they charged just last January moving forward, the only barrier to beginning to increase capitalization of production is?

Go ahead and come up with a cogent answer. I'd like to hear one.

Lets see.....

Clinton in office 8 years, panic ensues. Leaves office, market stabilizes.

Obama in office 8 years, panic again. Leaves office, market stabilizes, and supplies are not only good, but cheap. The most pro-business, anti-regulation President in decades is in power, but no one takes advantage of that to build additional capacity that would make them rich beyond their wildest dreams, now and for the conceivable future meeting the incredible demand that some crackpot on an internet shooting forum is certain exists. The only possible explanation is that someone is pressuring them (threatening to kill a puppy, no doubt) to not make all that money. Can’t possibly be that the industry recognizes that the market will stabilize, leaving them with idle production capacity and surplus employees. Gotta wonder why those evil pressurers failed to stop them from catching up to and exceeding demand the last two times.

Just maybe the truth is you’re totally FOS, stupider than you accuse me of being, or delusional. I’m taking door number three.

Seriously, GFY you moron.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Ummm. Either more supply (mfg’s make more), or less demand (raise prices until people stop hoarding, and only buy what they need).

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dale06
Some people did not prepare.

Not necessarily. I have plenty of components and ammo for the rifles I shoot on a consistent basis. But my wife bought me a 308 Win for Christmas and that is a caliber I didn't have so there was no reason for me to have ammo or components. You can't paint with the broad of a brush.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MAC

Not necessarily. I have plenty of components and ammo for the rifles I shoot on a consistent basis. But my wife bought me a 308 Win for Christmas and that is a caliber I didn't have so there was no reason for me to have ammo or components. You can't paint with the broad of a brush.

Mac, your example is perfect! I’m currently wanting to move into an AR10 for my nighttime coyote hunting I’ve heavily gotten interested in this year. I have quite a bit of 6.5 Creedmoor ammo laying around since I have that in a bolt gun. I feel like if I make the move I almost have to go with the Creedmoor in the AR10 to guarantee I’ll have ammo for it but I’d almost rather go 243 wssm or plain ol 243. Folks are very limited right now if they want to play around with new chamberings.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Originally Posted by MAC

Mac, your example is perfect! I’m currently wanting to move into an AR10 for my nighttime coyote hunting I’ve heavily gotten interested in this year. I have quite a bit of 6.5 Creedmoor ammo laying around since I have that in a bolt gun. I feel like if I make the move I almost have to go with the Creedmoor in the AR10 to guarantee I’ll have ammo for it but I’d almost rather go 243 wssm or plain ol 243. Folks are very limited right now if they want to play around with new chamberings.

In this environment, I'm just not going to do it.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,530 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,932
Posts18,498,700
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.