-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Grizz, I lived in a very rural area of PA back in '99-'00. Folks there were always saying "Uncle so and so saw a cougar off in the back 40" and yet, with a million deer hunters out there shooting everything from large dogs to farmer Brown's mule on opening day, to the best of my knowledge the only verified cougar reports are of those released from a captive situation.

I'm not saying the odd grizzly might not make it across all that dry land to Cali, but it's certainly going to be the odd occurrence should one happen to show up here. I think there's DNA evidence of the occasional wolverine in the Sierra, so why not a grizz every now and again??

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
So you are not ok with grizzlies being returned to CA?
I'm all for Griz being reintroduced to Ca. Some hunters in North Ca claim they have been spotting Griz already. They think the Griz have been migrating on their own from where ever.

Well there was a girl on Exhibition Bigfoot that said she saw griz in Oregon, but I was hoping Greghost would chime in. Seems he has gone into hiding.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd believe OR before CA.

But, since we have wolves in our area, and established pack a few hours south of here, given time the California Golden Bear (or it's cousin) might be able to get established again also.

Perhaps the proposed ban on black bear hunting is to provide another source of food for Grizz when he gets here?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hard to believe at one time California had more Brown Bears than any state in the lower 48. Spaniards kilt a lot of them off. Bull and Bear fights

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not a good idea to have the yellow bear in the tall grass when you're trying to keep range cattle alive.

Seems they went all the way down into N Baja. I didn't know it until I looked into it, but San Diego county never had an established population of black bear, but they did have grizzly. Now and then a black bear comes down that way, we had a sighting or two in the 70's when I was down there, a couple have been killed in the intervening years. Supposedly coming down from San Jacinto area.

In it is contentment

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Grizz, I lived in a very rural area of PA back in '99-'00. Folks there were always saying "Uncle so and so saw a cougar off in the back 40" and yet, with a million deer hunters out there shooting everything from large dogs to farmer Brown's mule on opening day, to the best of my knowledge the only verified cougar reports are of those released from a captive situation.

I'm not saying the odd grizzly might not make it across all that dry land to Cali, but it's certainly going to be the odd occurrence should one happen to show up here. I think there's DNA evidence of the occasional wolverine in the Sierra, so why not a grizz every now and again??

I'm looking forward to the night I shoot a freaking Wolf either here or over in Nevada thinking it was a coyote. Shovel ready...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Some would like to hunt the Black Bear to extinction as was done to the California Grizzly, the wolf and other species in the state. And while the population has been brought back slightly from its lows in the 80's and 90's, its nowhere near where it was historically.

Phil

California spans roughly the same length as Philadelphia to Jacksonville Fl. Imagine an area like that's game and wildlife management decisions being managed by the urbanites of Philly. The Southern California urban people like you, Phil, dictating wildlife management in a state that ranges from 14,500 ft to 282 ft below sea level, with the widest variations of climate and ecosystems to be found anywhere in the world. Stunning arrogance and elitism compounded by urban stupidity.You appear to live 600 miles or so south of me, but you know what is best for me, classic urban elite. You liberal urban fools have driven your end of California to 3rd world dysfunctional schidthole in just 2 generations. Congratulations Phil, keep those brilliant ideas coming. This state needs to be split now.

All of this. 100% agree.

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The last grizz killed in my county was in 1902 by Gordon Jacobs who was paid 500 bucks for his work by local cattlemen. Think about that for a minute, 500 bucks in 1902...that would be a years wages for a cowboy or laborer in those days. People that have to live with grizz don't like him...at all. And like Geno said, now that Calif deer herds are at a historical low, what are the predator species going to eat? Beef? Tourists? Backpackers? (hmm, backpackers)

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
pigs

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
The CA idiot legislators have already banned bobcat hunting, and importing African trophies.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bears are thick in the Sierra Nevada. As are Mountain Lions.
Anyone who argues differently has not spent any real time in those mountains. The only thing lacking are abundant deer populations. (Hmmm wonder why....)
Politicians running game management instead of biologists is a guaranteed train wreck. Just look at CA

[bleep] liberals

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
After they ban bear hunting, will elk hunting be far behind? And then deer hunting.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Has everything to do with hunters killing just for the hell of it. One of you mentioned Buffalo, that wasn't hunting, it was just killing for the hell of it. I have nothing against hunting, but don't abide by people that just want to kill anything that walks or fly's just for something to do, or something to hang on a wall. We had a man, kids or just plain fools cutting down Joshua Tree's trees last year just for the hell of it. No other reason than it was just there. One of you all had a post a few years back about a couple idiots toppling standing boulders in a national park in Utah... No reason other than they just thought it would make good YouTube news. Just because something is there you don't need to wipe out a species, because its there, Yellowstone found that out with the wolf.

Phil

Welcome to California people. Here you go....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by RUM7
Bears are thick in the Sierra Nevada. As are Mountain Lions.
Anyone who argues differently has not spent any real time in those mountains. The only thing lacking are abundant deer populations. (Hmmm wonder why....)
Politicians running game management instead of biologists is a guaranteed train wreck. Just look at CA

[bleep] liberals

++1
CA banned bear hunting with dogs, and in short order the bear population reach a point that the state easily reached harvest quotas without dogs. Now with a burgeoning population they find it necessary to ban bear hunting. All the while the state is paying Federal and State trappers to either trap and relocate or trap and eradicate nuisance bears. Epic [bleep] show! Buy the way California’s dirty little secret is the state biologists are the environmental left!

P.S. Greyghost you are a tool!

Last edited by Farming; 01/28/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting anecdote regarding CA bears.

In the mid 90's I worked on the North Coast for a timber company. The bears, and there were many on the property, rested during the worst of winter which doesn't amount to much over there except a bunch of rain (80"-100+"). Come springtime they were hungry and would strip the bark off younger redwoods to get at the cambium, damaging or killing the tree. Not good when redwood was going for around $1, or more, a board foot stumpage then.

The company asked CDFG if they could buy us hunters our bear tags (a perk, we employees got to hunt deer on the timberlands) . Game and Fish told them that was a no-no. We were bummed, a free bear tag would have been cool. We had some really pretty ones, and more than a few decent sized ones.

In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Some would like to hunt the Black Bear to extinction as was done to the California Grizzly, the wolf and other species in the state. And while the population has been brought back slightly from its lows in the 80's and 90's, its nowhere near where it was historically.

Phil

You idiot.

You're being awful damned insulting to idiots there, what with comparing them to Phil...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Phil

Still 1700 bears seems low, especially compared to Michigan, Minnesota, Alaska, et al. California is a big state.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Youper

Phil

Still 1700 bears seems low, especially compared to Michigan, Minnesota, Alaska, et al. California is a big state.

Not sure where you got that information but conservative estimates of black bear population in California is around 40,000 bear.

Dept Fish and Wildlife Ca

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[/i]
Originally Posted by Morewood
Originally Posted by Youper

Phil

Not sure where you got that information but conservative estimates of black bear population in California is around 40,000 bear.

Dept Fish and Wildlife Ca

The op citation was 1700 [i]killed
every year, not the population. In any event that is where I got the 1700 number from.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The vast majority of the increase in population are illegals and homeless.

[Linked Image from ]
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

173 members (257robertsimp, 160user, 2500HD, 2UP, 405winash, 10Glocks, 18 invisible), 1,638 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,130
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.