Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Trying to analyze todays incidents by reading what is basically folklore is pretty ridiculous.

The stories get told and retold and somehow become "fact". The whole "one 45 bullet did what 6 .38s could not, stop a Moro cold in his tracks" is based more in legends and sea stories that have been re-told than in actual documented proof. The .45 Colt ammo was still round nose ammo, which has a poor track record when it comes to instant incapacitation. The .45 round nose was far better than .38 round nose by a long shot, but it was not knocking Moros off their feet like stories seem to say.

Just like the old horsecrap about "They all fall to hard ball" nonsense of shooting people with 230 grain ball ammo in 1911s. Its BS. Round nose ammo has always been a terrible performer.

The 45 is great with the right ammo, but so is a 9mm, and in the above situation I doubt you would be able to tell much difference.

BTW, here is an example of a failure with the .45 ACP. During the gunfight, the officer shot the guy 14 times. 6 of which were considered fatal hits. in the heart, right lung, left lung, liver, diaphragm, and right kidney. But the bad guy still would not stop for a bit.

https://www.police1.com/officer-sho...nds-of-ammo-on-the-job-clGBbLYpnqqHxwMq/

Some animals are simply hard to put down, that is a fact. That is why when people tell me how they will calmly place perfect shots into the heart with their 5 shot J Frame .38 and the bad guy will instantly fall over dead as a door nail, stone cold dead, and they will be the hero of the day, I just shake my head. It is pointless. You can lead an idiot to water but you can't make them think.

The short version is that once the deputy chose to shoot, he put rounds on target, and the bad guy dropped within seconds. I don't see much to be critical about. But as usual there are a bunch of Monday morning QB with absolutely zero experience who seem to know better, even though the most dangerous thing they have ever done is slip in the shower.

Agree 💯

Originally Posted by David_Walter
This is why the Marines in Afghanistan went to head shots.

The head is really hard to armor, and nobody survives multiple hits to the head with a service round, rifle or pistol.

Of course, the head is harder to hit (smaller and moving), and we're taught that the head is somehow of limits. Its not.

Shots to the groin pelvic area are effective and easier to hit

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Had a hunting bud who’s grandfather lost his right arm from elbow down to a Moro’s Kris. He stated once his grandfather told him they always tried for their head with A Krag. Said they wore makeshift armor from twined tree bark too, that was hard to get thru. He said bayonets also worked.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by SS336
I think Mr Sagebrush is the voice of reason. Read his posts again and learn.

Roger that.
Bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As always, it's easy to separate the players from the fans in these type threads.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Having shot my share of big pissed off critters looking to kill you with both .375 cal and .458 and greater cal...I will still bet my life on a .45 acp vs. 9mm luger. YMMV

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm pissed my blatant attempt at trolling the 9MM Glockoids didn't pan out :0

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Here you go Jorge. A pair of my preferred personal defense handguns. 😁😁😁.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Troll away! 😁😁😁

Founder

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Here you go Jorge. A pair of my preferred personal defense handguns. 😁😁😁.

Troll away! 😁😁😁

Those ain't Glocks so you get a pass smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Thanks! The Mauser is loaded in my big wooden secretary desk a la Dashiell Hammett! 🤣

Founder

WS

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by cv540

'2 to the chest 1 to the head makes the azzhole dead, Dead,DEAD"

Ayoob ?

No. An old crusty range Sergeant. Went something like this.

"Used to be called the 'Mozambique Drill' now we can't call it that anymore so it's called a 'Failure to stop Drill.' If you are shooting them and getting hits and they aren't stopping remember this." He then made what initially looked like he was making The Sign of The Cross except the order was different. He went on, "I wasn't praying, I'm showing you where to shoot.
Two to the chest, One to the Head makes the azzhole dead, Dead, DEAD."

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Thankfully Mac S. let the air out of the usual gasbags with simple facts. I find it amazing that so many old school myths are still believed. Unfortunately it gives the anti-boomers some pretty good ammo.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Ironically with the cooler weather (and small primer shortage) I have been carrying .45s a lot more as of late.

Currently I am carrying this old Pony.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It is far from optimal or cutting edge, but that is OK. With a couple of mags in a pocket or in a mag pouch and I really don't have too many concerns. If I travel to a larger metropolis for a trip of something then I may re-evaluate.

Sometimes you may not have the "ultimate" set of tools in the tool box, and that is fine, because you possess skill sets that are more important than hardware types.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I call it the John Wick drill.

Headshoot everyone.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't say that guy exactly soaked up 12 rounds with little effect. He was dead after the 1st or 2nd shot. The cop just kept shooting to make sure.

ETA: I should have just +1 Mackay's post. smile

If that guy was a deer, I'd have quit shooting after the 1st round. He was done.

Last edited by Tyrone; 02/09/21.

Politics is War by Other Means
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I live in Montgomery County, MD. My neighbor and his son are both regular County Police. Last May when this other shooting occurred, a lot of people on here were wondering what they use. So I texted my neighbor and asked him what they use now. I know that about 10 or 15 years ago they were using Glock 22's in 40 cal. He said that they were having trouble with them, so they switched to G17's and G19's in 9mm. I asked him what ammo, but he didn't specify. All he said was that they use the same ammo as the FBI. Probably some sort of nasty hollow point. I'm sure that the Sheriff's Dept. uses the same stuff as the regular County Police.

Here's the body cam video from last May. I had to post a link because Youtube won't let me post the actual video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdNdXT4Wshs

Last edited by StoneCutter; 02/09/21.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by marktheshark
Think how far many game animals we shoot travel before falling over if the initial impact didnt deliver instant knockdown.

Yep.

Biggest difference is we stop shooting after one solid hit.

depends , some PHs still quickly brain an ele
Immediately after what seems like a good brainer
from the client...could even follow up with
another on what looks like a downed & 'dead'
beast.

Prevention is better than cure ..

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I switched from .45 acp to 9mm for the capacity diff.
Figure the odds are a different type of criminal/ situation than in the old days.

Read: multiple bad guys per incident

.45 acp i run the old WW 230 +p sxt or whatever its called
9mm the Sig 124 gr jhp fodder.

Combat Commander or HK P30L.
Wish the latter was made in 10mm

Last edited by hookeye; 02/09/21.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
I live in Montgomery County, MD. My neighbor and his son are both regular County Police. Last May when this other shooting occurred, a lot of people on here were wondering what they use. So I texted my neighbor and asked him what they use now. I know that about 10 or 15 years ago they were using Glock 22's in 40 cal. He said that they were having trouble with them, so they switched to G17's and G19's in 9mm. I asked him what ammo, but he didn't specify. All he said was that they use the same ammo as the FBI. Probably some sort of nasty hollow point. I'm sure that the Sheriff's Dept. uses the same stuff as the regular County Police.

Here's the body cam video from last May. I had to post a link because Youtube won't let me post the actual video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdNdXT4Wshs

That guy dropped down because he knew that's what people do who are shot. He could have closed the distance if he was determined to.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by akasparky
For inquiring minds,
The logo on his teeshirt might be a version of an Army logo for the 160th Special Operations Airborne Regiment known as the Nightstalkers

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Anything more on the guys history?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll bet the Coroner thought that guy's chest looked like a waffle.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

285 members (222ND, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 23 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,828
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.