Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 907brass
Wife and I bought our first house in fall 2020. We spent a couple years saving up for it, and didn't have room in our 1 bedroom apartment for a reloading bench or a hoard of ammo.
Timing sucks for me because now I have a garage with a nice workbench and can't find schit for tools or reloading components, and now having to pay double for ammo that I didn't needlessly buy two years ago because I was scrimping for that down payment and getting out of personal debt.

You're right -- I prioritized having a place to live and having less debt, and I'd make that decision again. But it sure does suck for us responsible folks who are now very low on options for reloading and/or affording ammo.

And I've never bought a redbull in my life, fwiw.

Don’t worry about that old crusty Boomer , James.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
My irresponsibility is hitting me so hard right now. I really should have stocked up on ammo for the gun I didn't own until a few days ago..... I keep looking in the mirror and asking myself in great shame...."Why wasn't I responsible enough to stockpile ammo for a round I didn't own a gun for?" .....I can only cry and continue shooting 12's while weeping at my 20-less state...... Whoa is me....

There are some well thought out post on this thread. Yours however just happens to probably be the most stupid post that’s been posted on this site in at least two weeks time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
My irresponsibility is hitting me so hard right now. I really should have stocked up on ammo for the gun I didn't own until a few days ago..... I keep looking in the mirror and asking myself in great shame...."Why wasn't I responsible enough to stockpile ammo for a round I didn't own a gun for?" .....I can only cry and continue shooting 12's while weeping at my 20-less state...... Whoa is me....

There are some well thought out post on this thread. Yours however just happens to probably be the most stupid post that’s been posted on this site in at least two weeks time.

I'm thinking that the lack of a sarcasm icon has struck yet again.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by 907brass
Wife and I bought our first house in fall 2020. We spent a couple years saving up for it, and didn't have room in our 1 bedroom apartment for a reloading bench or a hoard of ammo.
Timing sucks for me because now I have a garage with a nice workbench and can't find schit for tools or reloading components, and now having to pay double for ammo that I didn't needlessly buy two years ago because I was scrimping for that down payment and getting out of personal debt.

You're right -- I prioritized having a place to live and having less debt, and I'd make that decision again. But it sure does suck for us responsible folks who are now very low on options for reloading and/or affording ammo.

And I've never bought a redbull in my life, fwiw.
It will be available again. You did the right thing. Congrats on being responsible and don't let the haters get you down. In the meantime, think about buying a good airgun and some pellets to keep practiced up. They come in danged handy in most places anyway.

Thanks for the encouragement and airgun advice. I have used this time to begin in traditional archery -- something I've been intending to do for a while now. It has been a frustrating and fun time so far, plus it sure is nice to pick up an arrow and shoot it again. No unwanted holes in my house...yet...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I understood perfectly that he was trying to be sarcastic but the comparison he made he failed miserably at it. His post in no way compares to to the point the OP was making. No one in their right mind would expect you to have a cabinet full of ammo for a new to them rifle someone just bought a few days ago in cartridge they didn’t have before in this environment

Last edited by ridgerunner_ky; 03/02/21.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dammit Jay, you shoulda known better

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Way to many people feel entitled to buy what they want, when they want, at a price they want. The world doesnt work that way.

"Entitled" to spend my hard earned money however I want? GMAFB...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My only issue with the ammo shortage is that the wife bought me a 308 Win for Christmas and I had never owned a rifle in that caliber. So getting ammo has been a challenge but I have scrounged up brass, bullets, powder and dies and I had primers. I had to pay more for it than I normally would have, but I got it. I have hundreds of rounds of ammo for the other rifles I own, but until Dec I had zero use for any 308 Win items. I'm pretty sure I am not the only one in this type of circumstance so it isn't a matter of not being "prepared" but rather of not previously having any need.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Mac84

Thats dumber'n hell.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No one can 100% prepare for every eventuality that may come to pass. No matter how conscientious a person may be in attempting to anticipate and prepare for as many as he can identify, to the extent that he is able, there will come a time when either his preparation proves inadequate or something that he did not see coming strikes. When that happens, there will be plenty of people who either stockpiled more than he did or who prepared for that particular eventuality who will be only too glad to wave their dicks around and castigate him for the error of his ways.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The current ammo shortage is a symptom of a highly manipulated market. Firearms and ammunition markets suffer at the whims of regulators. There's no denying this. Much of the angst in these threads is a reaction to the fact that these markets are being politicized. Any claim that profiteering in the extremes of these manipulated markets is just capitalism at work, is utter nonsense.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't thought about going to gun range in a couple of years now.

It sucks

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you shoot regularly, no excuse for getting caught short. No one I know fitting that description, waits until they're out of reloading supplies, before restocking.Same for those who don't reload. You wanta shoot, you buy the ammo you'll need and not just for a few range or hunting trips.

Never been a time in my adult life that I've run short of anything. Especially 22 rim fire ammo. Just how it is. Right now I'm trying to help out a few folks that need something, but it comes with a brief sermon on the subject. They are rapidly learning not to ever let it happen again.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JamesJr
As is always the case when anyone posts something on here, there are those that get it, and those that don't. This isn't about bragging, it's about responsibility................and putting your priorities in order. But, those posters who spent their money on other forms of entertainment and fun, are now jealous of those who had the good sense to lay up a supply for hard times.

Just as I raise a garden, and fill several freezers, and have a pantry full of canned goods, I also made sure I had stuff to shoot. There's no difference...........it's not hoarding on my part, it's called thinking ahead. It has nothing to do with money either, as I'll guarantee you that my money comes as hard to get as the next man's does. But, I don't waste mine on frivolous chit that's here today, gone tomorrow......and that's what I see about some of you...........you're the "live for today, worry about tomorrow when it gets here" kind of people. And.....when tomorrow gets here, and you don't have anything, you go to blaming the ones who were smart enough to put something back.

I said in my OP that it was not my attention to offend anyone, but you sure can see the toes I stepped on here............and by knowing some of you as I do, I'm not in the least bit surprised.

I agree ............................ They will learn , well maybe

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
All is not lost - I had to go to town today and while there I stopped by the Ranch Supply store and picked up a brick of Armscore 22 LR 36 gr HP ammo. I left some for other folks but I also laid in a few more for myself since gophers will be popping up in another month or so.

I have enough 22 LR ammo to last me for at least another 3 or 4 years without cutting myself back from shooting as much and as often as I want (I generally shoot 2 to 3 cases of 22 LR ammo during the course of a year).

So should I have left it on the shelf in hopes that someone who may be out and needs it buys it, or perhaps I should have left it there for guy who is going to buy it to sell on Gunbroker or at the gunshow. For me it is a no-brainer - I bought it because I will shoot it up eventually and not have to complain about being short or not finding any.

Although it was a little higher priced than I have paid for it recently I didn't complain - it has been $24.99 per brick of 50 and this time it was $34.99 per brick, but at least I didn't spend the money on a Red Bull or a latte.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by 5sdad

I understood perfectly that he was trying to be sarcastic but the comparison he made he failed miserably at it. His post in no way compares to to the point the OP was making. No one in their right mind would expect you to have a cabinet full of ammo for a new to them rifle someone just bought a few days ago in cartridge they didn’t have before in this environment

I typed it with a smile. I'm so sorry it hurt your feelings. Thanks so much for correcting me and setting me straight. May you always find joy searching for wisdom on public forums and bobbing for apples in septic tanks.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Thats dumber'n hell.

Ain't it though.....

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Spent all that money on white claws and window tint

laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those of us that have been around for awhile know that it seems like we go through these cycles. The Clinton shortage, the obama shortage and now the Biden shortage. We should be stocked up. I know of a couple of guys that just got into hunting buying guns in the last couple of years that are not stocked up. I can understand that. You do not need a lifetime supply, but have more than this year.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Thats dumber'n hell.

Ain't it though.....

I have 67,000 rounds of 577 Snyder just in case I ever buy one.

To do otherwise is ridiculous.

I am MAGA.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

393 members (01Foreman400, 2alphas2, 2500HD, 160user, 3333vl, 257 mag, 42 invisible), 2,132 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,501
Posts18,472,222
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.