Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by Steve
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
So how powerful are they? This lava rock is in so. central Idaho, about 20 miles north of Ketchum. It's approx 6' in diameter so it's got some weight to it. It's sitting on a low granite ridge. The nearest old volcano is more than 50 miles away in a straight line. That's a long toss. Most of Idaho's volcanoes were the kind that poured out rivers of lava resulting in thousands of square miles of lava beds. This one obviously came from an explosion but most were very unlike the Cascade ones.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sheesh! That is incredible!

Giant thunder egg.

Didn't you say that you were a fossil/ gem collector Steve?
I can only imagine that it would fragment on impact
. That said, it would be easy enough for the locals to verify without need of a geologist.

No, I'm not. I was being half sarcastic. We used to look for thunder eggs over around my grandparent's place in Madras. They had some of those big round lava balls like that one around. We would call them giant thunder eggs. Thunder eggs are found in the ash layers.

Carpe' Scrotum

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if Yellowstone blows, it will be the end.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
We had ash from Mt St Helens on our vehicles -
In Los Alamos, NM.
Southwest of Los Alamos is the Valles Caldera. I've been told that when it blew, it was taller than Mt Everest.
How they figured THAT out, I'll never know - but the crater is miles across and higher altitude than Los Alamos, which is just over 7000 ft.
Grants has some of the most impressive lava flows, tubes, and even ice caves around.
NM is highly volcanic. I believe most of the west is.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
There needs to be liberals sacrificed.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I was stationed at Ft. Lewis when St. Helens blew. Had some of our dudes in the south Ranier training area at the time. A pretty wild few weeks back then!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Utube has a lecture series dealing with the Pacific Northwest.
The last I saw dealt with "Ghost Volcanoes" those that once existed but died and eroded away.
The Cascade range is forty million years old, but the average Volcano exists for a average of two million years.
Many of the old ones are gone but they left traces, even totally erased they can be located by past lava flows.
In fact, when you see Granite you're seeing rock that was formed deep below a Volcano.

Last edited by Tracks; 03/07/21.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
So how powerful are they? This lava rock is in so. central Idaho, about 20 miles north of Ketchum. It's approx 6' in diameter so it's got some weight to it. It's sitting on a low granite ridge. The nearest old volcano is more than 50 miles away in a straight line. That's a long toss. Most of Idaho's volcanoes were the kind that poured out rivers of lava resulting in thousands of square miles of lava beds. This one obviously came from an explosion but most were very unlike the Cascade ones.

Similar lava bolulders we found in New Mexico. Out in the middle of no where. I mean NO WHERE. No idea how far it was to anything resembling an old volcano, but it was at least 50 to 75 miles. That's one heck of a shotput throw.
You can see that this one is sitting on top of the soil so it had to have been formed much later than the mountains around it. It's on a steep ridge so it could have landed higher up and later rolled to where it is now. It would have made a pretty good divot if it had landed where it is although erosion could have leveled out the ground around it. It still had to have got over that 10k ridge, though.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Mt.Mazama ( Crater Lake ) in our county, was estimated over 23,000 feet in elevation. Now the lake level is around 6100 ft, with surrounding peaks around 8k to 9k. Not only did the Mountain loose over ten thousand feet in elevation, it left a hole forming the deepest lake in the U.S.! To put that in perspective, Mount Mitchell in the east, would be but a bump at the base! Mt. Rainer, and Mt.Shasta in all their splender, would also be bumps! Amazing to think about if you've ever seen either of those mountains!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
RockChuck:

I've wondered if Harry Truman made it to his cave and survived the initial blast.

I suspect Harry's demise was quite swift and sure.

As to displaced rocks, another potential mode is glacial transport or events like the Missoula floods. One sees some of Montana's rocks well up Oregon Deschutes River Canyon, and near Eugene in our Willamette Valley. Likely encased in ice and deposited 5 to 600 ft above the present flood plains. Done a little traveling around FlatHead Lake, and there are signs in several locals denoting high water makes a couple thousand feet above the valley floor. Those had to be epic events when those ice dams broke and downstream destruction was again probably quite swift and sure.

Heym06:

Did a ton of reading years back when investigating some soils deposition patterns. Going from memory that might be failing, but seem to recall an estimate of about 14 cubic miles of material being ejected in the Crator Lake blast.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/07/21.

1Minute
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

Pyroclastic material. That one is a giant tephra ball.

Dick- if your local? Univ geology dept. doesn’t know about that one, they may appreciate that info.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Any of these volcano smoking with pressure building?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by mark shubert
We had ash from Mt St Helens on our vehicles -
In Los Alamos, NM.
Southwest of Los Alamos is the Valles Caldera. I've been told that when it blew, it was taller than Mt Everest.
How they figured THAT out, I'll never know - but the crater is miles across and higher altitude than Los Alamos, which is just over 7000 ft.
Grants has some of the most impressive lava flows, tubes, and even ice caves around.
NM is highly volcanic. I believe most of the west is.

Northern AZ too. Hundreds of cinder comes from Williams to NW of Flagstaff. The ones in Williams are the oldest and the ones near Flagstaff the youngest. Last eruption was about 1000 years ago. Had a friend whose dad was a geophysicist at NAU who mapped out heat flow at Yellowstone as part of his thesis. He told me that if the water table wasn’t so low on the Kaibab Plateau there could very well be geisers in Northern AZ given the amount of heat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

Not currently.

Carpe' Scrotum
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Heym06
Mt.Mazama ( Crater Lake ) in our county, was estimated over 23,000 feet in elevation. Now the lake level is around 6100 ft, with surrounding peaks around 8k to 9k. Not only did the Mountain loose over ten thousand feet in elevation, it left a hole forming the deepest lake in the U.S.! To put that in perspective, Mount Mitchell in the east, would be but a bump at the base! Mt. Rainer, and Mt.Shasta in all their splender, would also be bumps! Amazing to think about if you've ever seen either of those mountains!

And that was only 7,700 year ago. I would guess that it put out a few emissions when it blew. When you drive from Roseburg to Diamond Lake the road has road cuts through ash deposits that are many feet deep.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Not currently.

There are active fumaroles on top of My Hood. Smoke and steam can sometimes be seen from the valley below.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2000/fs060-00/

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
when stationed at Madigan on Ft Lewis in 1977 and 78, me and some of my buddies went down and climbed Mt St. Helen's several times on the weekend...

it really was a fairly easily climb...

was living in Minnesota when it blew... it was hard thinking 1300 ft or so of the top of it was gone... it also had some pretty thick forest around it...
beautiful place before it blew.. afterwards, not so much...

Hell, we go people worrying about volcanos blowing, DemocRATS running everything on the Entire West Coast and in DC..

Warnings the Chinese are going to take us over... the borders flooded with illegal aliens with Covid infections...

Looks like we are ALL just going to die... its the end of the world...

except at Nancy Pelosi's house in San Fran...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by longarm

Not currently.

There are active fumaroles on top of My Hood. Smoke and steam can sometimes be seen from the valley below.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2000/fs060-00/

Yeah, but noting out of the ordinary.

Carpe' Scrotum
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,061
Posts18,482,397
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.