24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
450 Alaskan On 1985G NEED DIES #15828274 02/23/21
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 17
5
577Nitroexpress Offline OP
New Member
OP Offline
New Member
5
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 17

Not sure where to post this, but since it is an Alaskan..seems natural here. I am currently finishing up the conversion of my 1895G to 450 AK Imp, and desperately need a set of dies for it. I do have a set, but they
are for the original 450 Straight; they work, but would like to get the correct set. I have talked to all of makers, and the wait is ridiculous, like two years... Somebody must have a set they don't need I buy can off them..or know somebody that does have one?

I am in the finally throws of this, and should be testing it this weekend if the weather holds out here in eastern CO.

Thanks,
577NitroExpress... <<< I built one of these too.

BP-B2

Re: 450 Alaskan On 1985G NEED DIES [Re: 577Nitroexpress] #15830853 02/24/21
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,604
MuskegMan Offline
Campfire Tracker
Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,604

Suggest posting this in the Big Bore Levers and Classifieds forums also.

Cool wildcat round.

Re: 450 Alaskan On 1985G NEED DIES [Re: MuskegMan] #15831582 02/24/21
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 17
5
577Nitroexpress Offline OP
New Member
OP Offline
New Member
5
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Suggest posting this in the Big Bore Levers and Classifieds forums also.

Cool wildcat round.



Thank you will do. Yes, I'm excited to go shoot it. MUCH myth and misconception around it for sure... smile

577Nitro

Re: 450 Alaskan On 1985G NEED DIES [Re: 577Nitroexpress] #15831914 02/24/21
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 25,331
J
jwp475 Offline
Campfire Oracle
Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 25,331
Originally Posted by 577Nitroexpress

Not sure where to post this, but since it is an Alaskan..seems natural here. I am currently finishing up the conversion of my 1895G to 450 AK Imp, and desperately need a set of dies for it. I do have a set, but they
are for the original 450 Straight; they work, but would like to get the correct set. I have talked to all of makers, and the wait is ridiculous, like two years... Somebody must have a set they don't need I buy can off them..or know somebody that does have one?

I am in the finally throws of this, and should be testing it this weekend if the weather holds out here in eastern CO.

Thanks,
577NitroExpress... <<< I built one of these too.



Just run you chambering reamer in the ones you have



I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Re: 450 Alaskan On 1985G NEED DIES [Re: 577Nitroexpress] #15835176 02/25/21
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,445
1
1Akshooter Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
1
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,445
I have heard of the 1895 being made into a 450 Alaskan. I always thought the Marlin 1895 was to short for that cartridge, shows what I know. There is a guy on Campfire that goes by "450 Fuller". He may be able to point you to some dies.

IC-A

Re: 450 Alaskan On 1985G NEED DIES [Re: jwp475] #15837634 02/26/21
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 17
5
577Nitroexpress Offline OP
New Member
OP Offline
New Member
5
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by 577Nitroexpress

Not sure where to post this, but since it is an Alaskan..seems natural here. I am currently finishing up the conversion of my 1895G to 450 AK Imp, and desperately need a set of dies for it. I do have a set, but they
are for the original 450 Straight; they work, but would like to get the correct set. I have talked to all of makers, and the wait is ridiculous, like two years... Somebody must have a set they don't need I buy can off them..or know somebody that does have one?

I am in the finally throws of this, and should be testing it this weekend if the weather holds out here in eastern CO.

Thanks,
577NitroExpress... <<< I built one of these too.



Just run you chambering reamer in the ones you have




Dies are hardened to 50 Rockwell, would not cut and probably destroy the reamer..and be too large.

Re: 450 Alaskan On 1985G NEED DIES [Re: 1Akshooter] #15837639 02/26/21
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 17
5
577Nitroexpress Offline OP
New Member
OP Offline
New Member
5
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I have heard of the 1895 being made into a 450 Alaskan. I always thought the Marlin 1895 was to short for that cartridge, shows what I know. There is a guy on Campfire that goes by "450 Fuller". He may be able to point you to some dies.


As long as the COL. is 2.55” or less it fits fine and cycles cleanly. Only have to open up the front of the loading gate slightly to handle the fatter mid section, if You use the 450 Straight you don’t have to modify anything.

Re: 450 Alaskan On 1985G NEED DIES [Re: 577Nitroexpress] #15837808 02/26/21
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 25,331
J
jwp475 Offline
Campfire Oracle
Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 25,331

You can purchase die blanks. Sizer reamers are available from Dave Kiff



I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Re: 450 Alaskan On 1985G NEED DIES [Re: jwp475] #15839114 02/26/21
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 17
5
577Nitroexpress Offline OP
New Member
OP Offline
New Member
5
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by jwp475

You can purchase die blanks. Sizer reamers are available from Dave Kiff


Awesome did not know that I was going to try and use a 5 inch piece of left. Over .50 cal barrel I have from a double I built and ream it out.

Ill check out Dave Kiff on some blanks.

Thanks
577nitro

Re: 450 Alaskan On 1985G NEED DIES [Re: 577Nitroexpress] #15839412 02/26/21
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 334
T
Theoldpinecricker Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Joined: Jan 2021
Posts: 334
Good to know.

IC-B

Re: 450 Alaskan On 1985G NEED DIES [Re: 577Nitroexpress] #15897758 03/14/21
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 412
450Fuller Offline
Campfire Regular
Offline
Campfire Regular
Joined: Oct 2015
Posts: 412
577-PM me when you can -
There is some confusion among the uninitiated about the 450 Alaskan. They are wildcat cartridges,
so the dimensions may vary. The "real 450 AK is the cartridge designed by Harold Johnson of Cooper Landing, AK. in the 1950s-
It has about a 25 degree shoulder.

Ballistically, the performance of the 450 Alaskan or 450 Fuller, is about equal to the 45-90 WCF.
It surpasses the 45-70 by quite a bit.
A "Straight" 450 has no shoulder and it is not a true 450 Alaskan. It is a long tapered case made from the 348 WCF ,
just like the original. It resembles the 45-90.
There are those who think it may feed better in the 86/Model 71 action.
Both versions properly chambered will work like they are supposed to. RCBS makes the correct dies.

Re: 450 Alaskan On 1985G NEED DIES [Re: 450Fuller] #15908283 03/17/21
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 17
5
577Nitroexpress Offline OP
New Member
OP Offline
New Member
5
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by 450Fuller
577-PM me when you can -
There is some confusion among the uninitiated about the 450 Alaskan. They are wildcat cartridges,
so the dimensions may vary. The "real 450 AK is the cartridge designed by Harold Johnson of Cooper Landing, AK. in the 1950s-
It has about a 25 degree shoulder.

Ballistically, the performance of the 450 Alaskan or 450 Fuller, is about equal to the 45-90 WCF.
It surpasses the 45-70 by quite a bit.
A "Straight" 450 has no shoulder and it is not a true 450 Alaskan. It is a long tapered case made from the 348 WCF ,
just like the original. It resembles the 45-90.
There are those who think it may feed better in the 86/Model 71 action.
Both versions properly chambered will work like they are supposed to. RCBS makes the correct dies.




You are correct on all accounts. I have the gun done, and its shoots fantastic. At this point I'm just testing loads, I proofed it like I always do on a build, tied it down to tire and use a string and stand behind my truck. NO problems, measurements perfect, just as I expected from a Marlin 1895G. The rounds cycle as fast as I can move the lever and not a single jam, I did smooth and polish all internal parts, and it cycles like butter.

Quality Cartridge sells formed and head stamped brass, and as much as you want. For me this has been a no brainer, lower pressure for 45/70 equal loads, or greater velocity for equal pressure...its a win win, I just can't be happier with it.

I've seen on other post about guys complaining about the recoil..and sold theirs off...I don't understand that mentality, just reduce the loads to 45/70 equivalent.

I'll post velocities when I finish up testing if anybody interested.

577Nitro


Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

RR1b
Who's Online Now
562 registered members (1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 163bc, 1moredeer, 63 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,023 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
RR2/3










Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2020 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
 
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3
(Release build 20190728)
PHP: 7.3.28 Page Time: 0.055s Queries: 14 (0.004s) Memory: 0.8209 MB (Peak: 0.9280 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2021-06-17 17:57:48 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS