Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yup, got one of those, works great in my SFP glass. In fact used it this past fall as a poster in the middle of a dark day, in the middle of a darker cedar swamp. Vortex Viper 2.5x10x42 " illuminated". That was the first time sense owning the scope I used the light.
I don`t recall saying one, FFP-SFP, is better than the other. I said I didn`t own one, and it was, for me, about application. Some of you guys don`t read very well. The OP wanted to know the difference. That question was answered in the first coupla responses.

Personal preference and application. YMMV.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
notice how the pro FFP guys say its the only scope to use and every other type is useless and sucks, and those using SFP don't know what they heck they are talking about. This is a hunting forum, the advice you get here will be slanted in that direction. Jordan says use the reticle as a ruler yada yada. thats because he is shooting multiple shots at the same targets on a gun range generally. That is why FFP is actually what you want if you are wanting a competition scope. There is a big difference in that use. for one its done in broad daylight typically and you need to take multiple shots at the same target. if I am competiting I would actually buy a FFP scope myself, huh imagine that. as mouthy as I am about this even I see a place and use for FFP, because there is.

I give the first light walk in story, you get up in the morning before light, you're walking to your hunting area, there is barely legal light, you see a giant bull flash through the quaking aspens 200 yards out. the objective is get a shot off as fast as possible, its point and shoot!!! this is how 90% of hunting in the mountains of the west happens. no one sees animals at 350 yards and thinks oh lets move back to 700 so I can use my fancy whizbang FFP reticle on it. even needing the features of a reticle, dialing for range, all that is only used WHEN YOU HAVE TO! a 3x9 scope with a duplex reticle gets the job done 90% of the time. what you want first is 1) can I see the reticle on low power in low light. remember 200 yards, elk flashing through the quaking aspens, I want the scope on low power, and I want the fastest shot gotten off possible. I need a bold reticle and I want low power! its only for 10% of hunting I need to dial or hold for wind. you don't give up the must haves (bold reticle, low power) for 10% of your hunting. The scope just needs to be able to hold for wind and dial only in limited situations.

if you need to shoot multiple shots at the same targets, rock chucks, P dogs, also hunting that is done in the middle of the day BTW, yeah maybe I see a good use of FFP. But even at that, I take a suppressed shot, which even that blows the shooter off target quite often and I say oh I was 4 inches low, I don't even give a crap to say I am 1.1 mils low, WTF, its like umm that looks like about 4 inches, BOOM!! that is what is so rediculous about all this measuring missed shots BS ruler crap. in practice its not like that. Its like umm that looks like 6 inches, I am adjusting my aim what I think is that much, BOOM. because your gun isn't sitting there aimed perfectly at the target with the reticle aim point still on the target after recoil when the [bleep] shot hits the rock 3 inches away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! holy crap this is dumb. its adjust 3 inches, boom the shot breaks and hopefully hits, in those cases you SWAG it. this isn't complicated.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a Pro FFP guy, but I also don't think an SFP scope sucks. Each have they're place. Shots at ranges under 250 yds give me SFP every time. Shots over 250 yds. FFP every time. Contemplating shooting at moving targets: FFP. Close Quarters Battle ranges (under 50 yds or so) for 2 legged or 4 legged critters: SFP.

This isn't hard, nor is it rocket science. It makes no sense to field a rifle, in the hands of a shooter that's capable of hitting and killing targets at 300 + yds, and saddling them with a scope better suited to shorter ranges (Like Most, but not all SFP scopes).

What most shooters and hunters don't really understand is that your cartridge, rifle, scope, mount, et al must function as a package together at the ranges they are intended for.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
With 2nd plane the reticle gets smaller as one turns up the magnification.

Relative to the target. To the eye, it stays the same size.

Relative to the target is all that matters here! A scope laying on the table in front of me looks a certain size. Put it at 100 yards and it looks smaller, despite it being the same size.

A little clarification is what I was adding.

Your statement was misleading with no reference to target but rather alluded the reticle appeared physically smaller as the power was increased.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Shadow
I'm a Pro FFP guy, but I also don't think an SFP scope sucks. Each have they're place. Shots at ranges under 250 yds give me SFP every time. Shots over 250 yds. FFP every time. Contemplating shooting at moving targets: FFP. Close Quarters Battle ranges (under 50 yds or so) for 2 legged or 4 legged critters: SFP.

This isn't hard, nor is it rocket science. It makes no sense to field a rifle, in the hands of a shooter that's capable of hitting and killing targets at 300 + yds, and saddling them with a scope better suited to shorter ranges (Like Most, but not all SFP scopes).

What most shooters and hunters don't really understand is that your cartridge, rifle, scope, mount, et al must function as a package together at the ranges they are intended for.

a smart and wise man, who actually knows what he is talking about. maybe disagree a little, but that is ok, real world experience, I take that from someone all day long!!!

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've literally shot steel out to a mile. I ran out of dial and used the reticle. Second focal... How far do I need to shoot before my SFP doesn't work? Lol

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think FFP reticle designers could do a better job making the outside posts taper thicker and a little closer to the middle to help the guys who might hunt the thick stuff at shorter ranges on the lowest power once in a while.
Some do a better job than most, but wish they would take it further to help those of us that want a hunting scope that covers a broad range of conditions without compromising, and relying solely on illumination.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The ffp scopes I used made the reticle disappear at low setting. And the cross hair on higher power was too big.

A ffp scope with bold reticle on the sides and top and bottom with about a foot opening on the lowest setting and a center cross hair about a minute of angle would be fine. I don't know of one like that.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You become dumber with every key stroke.

Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
notice how the pro FFP guys say its the only scope to use and every other type is useless and sucks, and those using SFP don't know what they heck they are talking about. This is a hunting forum, the advice you get here will be slanted in that direction. Jordan says use the reticle as a ruler yada yada. thats because he is shooting multiple shots at the same targets on a gun range generally. That is why FFP is actually what you want if you are wanting a competition scope. There is a big difference in that use. for one its done in broad daylight typically and you need to take multiple shots at the same target. if I am competiting I would actually buy a FFP scope myself, huh imagine that. as mouthy as I am about this even I see a place and use for FFP, because there is.

I give the first light walk in story, you get up in the morning before light, you're walking to your hunting area, there is barely legal light, you see a giant bull flash through the quaking aspens 200 yards out. the objective is get a shot off as fast as possible, its point and shoot!!! this is how 90% of hunting in the mountains of the west happens. no one sees animals at 350 yards and thinks oh lets move back to 700 so I can use my fancy whizbang FFP reticle on it. even needing the features of a reticle, dialing for range, all that is only used WHEN YOU HAVE TO! a 3x9 scope with a duplex reticle gets the job done 90% of the time. what you want first is 1) can I see the reticle on low power in low light. remember 200 yards, elk flashing through the quaking aspens, I want the scope on low power, and I want the fastest shot gotten off possible. I need a bold reticle and I want low power! its only for 10% of hunting I need to dial or hold for wind. you don't give up the must haves (bold reticle, low power) for 10% of your hunting. The scope just needs to be able to hold for wind and dial only in limited situations.

if you need to shoot multiple shots at the same targets, rock chucks, P dogs, also hunting that is done in the middle of the day BTW, yeah maybe I see a good use of FFP. But even at that, I take a suppressed shot, which even that blows the shooter off target quite often and I say oh I was 4 inches low, I don't even give a crap to say I am 1.1 mils low, WTF, its like umm that looks like about 4 inches, BOOM!! that is what is so rediculous about all this measuring missed shots BS ruler crap. in practice its not like that. Its like umm that looks like 6 inches, I am adjusting my aim what I think is that much, BOOM. because your gun isn't sitting there aimed perfectly at the target with the reticle aim point still on the target after recoil when the [bleep] shot hits the rock 3 inches away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! holy crap this is dumb. its adjust 3 inches, boom the shot breaks and hopefully hits, in those cases you SWAG it. this isn't complicated.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I've literally shot steel out to a mile. I ran out of dial and used the reticle. Second focal... How far do I need to shoot before my SFP doesn't work? Lol

IME, intermediate ranges are where the subtensions on FFP reticles are particularly beneficial. Far enough that the subtensions are useful, but close enough that the FOV associated with less-than-max magnification may be handy. Of course it can be an advantage at extreme distance, as well, if atmospheric conditions dictate a magnification setting other than maximum.

Whether another guy chooses to use FFP or SFP scopes is fine with me, and of course I wouldn't say that SFP sucks or that FFP is necessary for success, but for me and my uses, a well-designed FFP reticle has no downside.

IC B3

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

You are not making quick shots in a hunting situation at distances greater than 300 yards with a sfp, unless it’s at the max power of the scope. That’s the problem. Sometimes there is no time to dial, and do math in your head when it’s show time. Steel, small targets, and rodents is about as perfect for a sfp scope as it gets(cum cowboy has this backwards). Ffp is awesome for open country hunting, as pressured animals don’t let you get as close, and don’t stick around long For one to fiddle with their scope.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I prefer FFP on higher magnifications, but don't care for them at all on LPVO's....seems the reticles become too small at 1-2x. Of course, this is when illumination becomes a big help, but that depends on the individual scope as some are not daytime bright.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Doesn’t matter what a guy likes here, but folks will try to talk you out of it.😂😂

Carry on

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jason280
I prefer FFP on higher magnifications, but don't care for them at all on LPVO's....seems the reticles become too small at 1-2x. Of course, this is when illumination becomes a big help, but that depends on the individual scope as some are not daytime bright.

IMO, that’s the beauty of a FFP illuminated LPVO. At 1-2x it effectively becomes a RD sight, and at higher magnification the subtensions become visible and useful.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

198 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 35 invisible), 2,241 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,702
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.