Did, I hear, "Power"?

Let these old cowboys tell us about.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Narrow is the gate........
He said that, but how is that presented nowadays...?

Is it presented as a description of an elitist type of exclusivity...?

Or is it presented as a simple description that a narrow gate is harder to pass through than one that is wide...?

Do believers who say that to others do so from the perspective of “only a few of us get to go through, I’m one of them, ‘maybe’ you can be too...?

Or do believers who say that to others do so from the perspective of “getting on that path and going through is something that requires effort and focus...?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by antlers
Will one of you parishioners not tell us [me] how you learned/were taught, to submit, beg, worship? how does a man bend a knee, kneel, cry, plead, submit, give up, quit, and really mean it? i cant/will never be able to get to that place. I dont believe that what you ask for 'demand' "without ridicule" is honestly possible for some, and i mean honest, fu-k acting,performing, singing for your supper bullshlt! How did you arrive, and still be in possession of your balls?
gunner500, did you feel that way yourself last Fall, and for the preceding year, when you said you had some real interest of going to church with your wife full time...? I doubt it, but idk...that’s why I’m askin’.

Was simply looking for truth, honesty, 'REAL' and proof, Sir, but realizing i had never learned to yield [kneel/beg/worship] i let it go, dont want to be a fake/hypocrite in anything i do, the fighting/hypocrisy here amongst "the believers" didn't help the possible explorative journey either, it's all good though i'll just continue to live to be a good husband, neighbor, son and friend, full well remembering the road to hell is paved with good intentions, we shall see someday.

I've tried to raise that point here several times in the past.
"It's your choice" is a phrase that many are fond of using when confronting those who don't believe the way they do. Its an obviously false statement, and easily provable to be so, but it gets brought out time and again anyway.

Ok, I’ll bite.....

Why is it not a “choice” to ponder and pursue God...... or not?

Why is it not a choice to reject God.... or in context with this thread, to reject Jesus?

Let's be clear. We are not "rejecting god(s)", we are rejecting claims made by theist due to a lack of sufficient evidence to support their claims.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
He said that, but how is that presented nowadays...?

Is it presented as a description of an elitist type of exclusivity...?

Or is it presented as a simple description that a narrow gate is harder to pass through than one that is wide...?

Do believers who say that to others do so from the perspective of “only a few of us get to go through, I’m one of them, ‘maybe’ you can be too...?

Or do believers who say that to others do so from the perspective of “getting on that path and going through is something that requires effort and focus...?

Good questions. I believe the “narrow gate” is used to illustrate the discipline and difficulty required. None of us are perfect, making the requirements a daily challenge.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
"We are Saved by GRACE!"

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Sometimes, some of us have to hit on the head hard enough to "See The Light.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Let's be clear. We are not "rejecting god(s)", we are rejecting claims made by theists due to a lack of sufficient evidence to support their claims.
I get that. But some clearly do reject God. Maybe not you, but some. And that’s their prerogative. Just as it’s the prerogative of Jesus followers to believe what they do...even though they cannot provide what many deem to be ‘proof’ regarding the existence of God and all that that entails pertaining to their specific faith.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by efw
One exercise I saw named by Eric Weinstein (I could be wrong and am open to correction on that) is “steel-manning” as a verb.

We all know what a straw man argument is; one poses the weakest available case for an opponents’ position and tears it to shreds. The steel man exercise is just the opposite; one attempts to verbalize the best argument his opponent has... and keeps attempting until his opponent admits he has characterized the position in a satisfactory light.

Whatever neuroscientists may hypothesize about the mechanics of decision making, the exercise described above seems to me to offer a way to intelligently converse with people of differing opinions.

Of course to do so one must set aside the prevailing sentiment of deconstructionism so rife in our society which tears every “old” idea down as a mere power grab by those who seek to manipulate the masses and embrace the possibility that there is ultimate truth somewhere. Additionally one must have the courage of intellect to recognize the old adage that it is possible to engage in and consider an idea seriously without subscribing to it.

Again, sorry to the OP for the “off topic” post.

Good post my friend. Sounds like something Weinstein would say, and yes, it's very much on topic.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Let's be clear. We are not "rejecting god(s)", we are rejecting claims made by theists due to a lack of sufficient evidence to support their claims.
I get that. But some clearly do reject God. Maybe not you, but some. And that’s their prerogative. Just as it’s the prerogative of Jesus followers to believe what they do...even though they cannot provide what many deem to be ‘proof’.

In order for someone to "Reject God", they must first believe that God exists. One someone accepts the god exists I can see rejecting them, or refusing to follow them on moral grounds, but not logical grounds. Plenty of gods are too evil for an enlightened moral person to follow.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In order for someone to "Reject God", they must first believe that God exists. Once someone accepts the god exists I can see rejecting them, or refusing to follow them on moral grounds, but not logical grounds. Plenty of gods are too evil for an enlightened moral person to follow.
I get that too, but I think it’s also possible for one to flat-out reject the existence of God, without ever having accepted the existence of God in the first place.
And again, that’s their prerogative.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
"We are Saved by GRACE!"
Agreed. Wholeheartedly.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Will one of you parishioners not tell us [me] how you learned/were taught, to submit, beg, worship? how does a man bend a knee, kneel, cry, plead, submit, give up, quit, and really mean it? i cant/will never be able to get to that place. I dont believe that what you ask for 'demand' "without ridicule" is honestly possible for some, and i mean honest, fu-k acting,performing, singing for your supper bullshlt! How did you arrive, and still be in possession of your balls?
gunner500, did you feel that way yourself last Fall, and for the preceding year, when you said you had some real interest of going to church with your wife full time...? I doubt it, but idk...that’s why I’m askin’.

Was simply looking for truth, honesty, 'REAL' and proof, Sir, but realizing i had never learned to yield [kneel/beg/worship] i let it go, dont want to be a fake/hypocrite in anything i do, the fighting/hypocrisy here amongst "the believers" didn't help the possible explorative journey either, it's all good though i'll just continue to live to be a good husband, neighbor, son and friend, full well remembering the road to hell is paved with good intentions, we shall see someday.

I've tried to raise that point here several times in the past.
"It's your choice" is a phrase that many are fond of using when confronting those who don't believe the way they do. Its an obviously false statement, and easily provable to be so, but it gets brought out time and again anyway.

Ok, I’ll bite.....

Why is it not a “choice” to ponder and pursue God...... or not?

Why is it not a choice to reject God.... or in context with this thread, to reject Jesus?

Let's be clear. We are not "rejecting god(s)", we are rejecting claims made by theist due to a lack of sufficient evidence to support their claims.

I understand the bit about “rejecting claims made by theist....”

I worked for a boss one time and we had a major business issue to address. I went to him and explained in great detail about how he needed to change his course of action and reverse a decision he had made. He did not accept what I had told him, made a couple of smart remarks and the meeting was over. About 6 weeks later, he called on the phone and told me in no uncertain terms to “get my.....” over,to his office, we had a major problem. Trying to cut the story short, I told him he had failed to heed my prior advice and now we had a mess on our hands. He erupted in even more furious rage.... he thundered at me: “You mean you knew I was making a mistake and let me go ahead and make it? YOU FAILED TO CONVINCE ME!” I then got one of the most memorable a** chewings of my life.

I never forgot it and he was right in a way..... I knew I had been right.... I knew he was making a mistake and I had indeed failed to convince him. But he made a mistake as well.... he was “the boss” and was exerting his right to make decisions. He also dismissed my best efforts to convince him of his error.

Just because a “theist” .... in your view.... fails to provide sufficient evidence to support their claims ......does not absolve ....you...of your responsibility to seek and listen.

Last edited by TF49; 03/23/21.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
He said that, but how is that presented nowadays...? Is it presented as a description of an elitist type of exclusivity...? Or is it presented as a simple description that a narrow gate is harder to pass through than one that is wide...? Do believers who say that to others do so from the perspective of “only a few of us get to go through, I’m one of them, ‘maybe’ you can be too...? Or do believers who say that to others do so from the perspective of “getting on that path and going through is something that requires effort and focus...?
Good questions. I believe the “narrow gate” is used to illustrate the discipline and difficulty required.
I see it that way too. It’s much harder to love others, especially those who are hard to love...first and foremost, regardless of anything else, no matter what...than it is to follow some cherry-picked rules and regulations.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
In order for someone to "Reject God", they must first believe that God exists. Once someone accepts the god exists I can see rejecting them, or refusing to follow them on moral grounds, but not logical grounds. Plenty of gods are too evil for an enlightened moral person to follow.
I get that too, but I think it’s also possible for one to flat-out reject the existence of God, without ever having accepted the existence of God in the first place.
And again, that’s their prerogative.

It's a fine point, but in your example above, what's being rejected it the proposition, or the claim a god(s) exists, not the god(s) itself.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
He said that, but how is that presented nowadays...? Is it presented as a description of an elitist type of exclusivity...? Or is it presented as a simple description that a narrow gate is harder to pass through than one that is wide...? Do believers who say that to others do so from the perspective of “only a few of us get to go through, I’m one of them, ‘maybe’ you can be too...? Or do believers who say that to others do so from the perspective of “getting on that path and going through is something that requires effort and focus...?
Good questions. I believe the “narrow gate” is used to illustrate the discipline and difficulty required.
I see it that way too.

And it that context it can apply to any set of principles intended to lead a person to a better way of life, be those principle Christian or otherwise.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And it that context it can apply to any set of principles intended to lead a person to a better way of life, be those principles Christian or otherwise.
Agreed. For me personally, trying to follow Jesus’ teachings has made my life better, and it’s made me better at life. I have no doubt that...had I done so much sooner than I did...those that I loved most would’ve had better lives as well.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
There’s been a big migration away from from Christianity in this country...especially the organized/institutional aspect of it. And it’s not because they find atheism so appealing, it’s because they find Christianity so unappealing. And certainly much of it ‘is’ the church’s fault. The reason that many people have disengaged from it, as I see it, is not because of the message...it’s because of the messengers. At the end of the day, the reason that many find it so unappealing, and so unscientific, and so irrational...is because of the messengers. The general public that Jesus interacted with...who were nothing like Him, liked Him, and He liked them back. If Christianity isn’t compelling or attractive nowadays, is it possible that much of it is because we don’t practice the same ‘version’ of it nowadays that He practiced Himself...?

I think there is a tendency on our part to think there was at some point in history (whether that be US, World, or Church) a “golden age”. People mess stuff up and people have always been messing stuff up. If you read the NT you see this and if you read Church history it’s also apparent.

There was never a time when people acted like Jesus. He was the only perfect Jew and the only perfect Christian. That’s why we are in such dire need of His death on the cross; because we’re flawed humans who by our nature screw stuff up.

I’d be ecstatic if we could get to a point where the only thing that offends people is Christ and the necessity of His death, burial, and resurrection. That’s what I strive for when I discuss these things with people anyway... imperfectly...

Soli Deo Gloria

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
There’s been a big migration away from from Christianity in this country...especially the organized/institutional aspect of it. And it’s not because they find atheism so appealing, it’s because they find Christianity so unappealing. And certainly much of it ‘is’ the church’s fault. The reason that many people have disengaged from it, as I see it, is not because of the message...it’s because of the messengers. At the end of the day, the reason that many find it so unappealing, and so unscientific, and so irrational...is because of the messengers. The general public that Jesus interacted with...who were nothing like Him, liked Him, and He liked them back. If Christianity isn’t compelling or attractive nowadays, is it possible that much of it is because we don’t practice the same ‘version’ of it nowadays that He practiced Himself...?
I think there is a tendency on our part to think there was at some point in history (whether that be US, World, or Church) a “golden age”. People mess stuff up and people have always been messing stuff up. If you read the NT you see this and if you read Church history it’s also apparent. There was never a time when people acted like Jesus. He was the only perfect Jew and the only perfect Christian. That’s why we are in such dire need of His death on the cross; because we’re flawed humans who by our nature screw stuff up. I’d be ecstatic if we could get to a point where the only thing that offends people is Christ and the necessity of His death, burial, and resurrection. That’s what I strive for when I discuss these things with people anyway... imperfectly...Soli Deo Gloria
That's my point. I run across very few people who actually have a problem with Jesus Himself; I run across very few people who actually have a problem with His teachings; and I actually run across very few people who have a problem with Jesus and the necessity of His death, burial, and resurrection.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
That's my point. I run across very few people who actually have a problem with Jesus Himself; I run across very few people who actually have a problem with His teachings; and I actually run across very few people who have a problem with Jesus and the necessity of His death burial, and resurrection.

Gotcha; that’s interesting. I have friendships with all kinds of people who object vehemently to their need. Other people maybe... some reject the human condition as conceived by Christianity altogether.

I don’t know anyone inside or outside the visible Church who don’t have a problem with people in the Church. I tend to think that’s part of the reason why God established it; because His project wasn’t merely to make us right with Him but also to build a community of people who’ve been made right with Him and need to work on getting right with each other. And that’s no small endeavor; certainly nothing that is going to be terribly attractive to people who haven’t seen that they’re just as tough to love as you and I are. It isn’t even attractive to us!

Page 20 of 27 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 53 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,049
Posts18,500,981
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.