Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The long range shooter misses out on something I enjoy. I have turkey hunted in Missouri since 1982 and that's close up business. You can actually feel it in your chest when a tom gobbles. I have also been that close to elk when they bugle and it's the same. Or being a part of what's going on when deer are going about their normal routine. Many other things I'd miss out on unless I've invested my time and efforts into being close. Don't get me wrong, I take great pride in my shooting but it's not the main focus.

I had an electrician working in my shop for me a couple of years ago that told me he shot 2 bucks, we only get to shoot one in Missouri, in the head at 800 yards. He was using a 6.5 creemoor. He explained to me no other caliber could do that. I didn't question him at all. It was his story. I have often wondered how many people are like him that think he's a good hunter.

One of the western states made it illegal to shoot elk, maybe other game, with the big 50 cal. BMG. I read the reason being was too many were being crippled and lost. Paul Harvey used to say that self government won't work without self discipline.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jim1611
The long range shooter misses out on something I enjoy.

And vice versa.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've never heard of her.

B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Some of you younger members might not see the irony in this, not knowing who Selby is.

His experience is worth listening to, though he is sure of himself on some matters that he should probably get back to, he's earned his opinions long before the internet came about.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500
I made 3:58 sec, the labored breathing, sloth speed thought/speech process tells me i'd fu-king die before he got my rifle built, people put too much thought in the notion ANYONE gives a flying fu-k what they think/know/think they know/believe in, he needs to get on his feet, stfu with the narcissism thoughts overload and get back to work on rifle building.

Lol, You should've went to 4:00!

Look up "blow Hard" in the dictionary and this guys picture is right there.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by viking
Different strokes for different folks. There’s hunting and there’s shooting, combined to make harvesting.

Some guys consider Road hunting a technique. Others consider sitting in a heated box watching college football sipping hootch a technique.

Heh!

Good ones.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BigNate
Some of you younger members might not see the irony in this, not knowing who Selby is.

His experience is worth listening to, though he is sure of himself on some matters that he should probably get back to, he's earned his opinions long before the internet came about.

And that is where he stopped. laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
when i was learning eastern woods hunting from by dad and uncles, i asked about distance shooting and where to hold. the answer i got is that if you are wondering where to hold, you need to get closer.

this wasn't much of a problem, as the only long shots at deer were over pastures. if a deer was 400 yards away, how would you know. most of my hunting is at less than 100 yards.

western hunting has always fascinated us eastern hunters and the impression i have is that only the most expert, wily hunters can be successful.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kids these days and their dadgum range finders!

Total douche.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I made 3:58 sec, the labored breathing, sloth speed thought/speech process tells me i'd fu-king die before he got my rifle built, people put too much thought in the notion ANYONE gives a flying fu-k what they think/know/think they know/believe in, he needs to get on his feet, stfu with the narcissism thoughts overload and get back to work on rifle building.

Better then me, I made it to 1:25, I much prefer getting to the point or if not, to be entertaining in delivery. He isn't.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose.
It was written to limit the power of government over the individual
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Long range hunting starter kit:

1. Flat-bill hat.
2. $4000 package gun with carbon barrel.
3. First focal plane scope.
4. Arca rails on everything.
5. Double arm sleeves tattoos.
6. Big beard.
7. Sitka -or- Kuiu gear outfits.
8. Jacked up monster truck.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Far too many different scenarios for 600yds (or whatever number/range you wish to insert) to be always right or always wrong.

I don't see "long-range" as a tactic, for me, it's a tool in the tool-box. I don't set out on any given day saying "I'm not shooting a critter unless its XX, XXX, or XXXX yds away." Of course, I'm not selling rifles, optics, ammo, or the like. Nor am I filming a show. I'm just hunting because I enjoy it.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wahoo

western hunting has always fascinated us eastern hunters and the impression i have is that only the most expert, wily hunters can be successful.

This is utter horse schitt perpetrated by gun writer hacks and keyboard commandos. The vast majority of elk killed in Wyoming are killed at a range of less than 100 yards, people even kill them with archery or traditional muzzleloaders, as well as deer and pronghorns. A knowledge of the habits and characteristics of the game animals is very helpful as is knowledge of hunting techniques, but not entirely necessary, total neophytes harvest their animals frequently. IMHO, 99% of hunters do not have the skills necessary to make a shot into the kill zone of an elk or deer at 600 yards and many cant do it at 100. If you want an eye opener, go help out at your local range during "Public Sight-in Days", you will see some pitiful scenes.

Note the flintlock rifle:

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Long range hunting starter kit:

1. Flat-bill hat.
2. $4000 package gun with carbon barrel.
3. First focal plane scope.
4. Arca rails on everything.
5. Double arm sleeves tattoos.
6. Big beard.
7. Sitka -or- Kuiu gear outfits.
8. Jacked up monster truck.

LOL! smile

You forgot the t-shirt that's 2 sizes too small.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I do love the men's small tshirt 🤣

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
"Don't use a bullet that's not designed for hunting."

A few of the most successful hunters I know use bullets that "weren't designed for hunting."

And I can guarantee this blowhard has never even tried it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by SKane

I've watched a handful of his videos in recent years. Some good stuff - but more "holy szchit man, consider joining us in the 21st century".

I assume a grandson or local millennial convinced him that he could monetize these videos while sharing his wealth of knowledge with the world.
The double-edge sword is potentially coming across as entrenched in old-thinking and arrogantly-domineering.

He's accomplished both swimmingly.

............i've built three rifles since 1969, and a half of one before that...crazy grin

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are slob hunters of every persuasion.

Bow to extreme long range.

If you keep your shots within your skillset, you KNOW you're not a slob, and your feelings won't be hurt by what others write/think/say.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Lol, You should've went to 4:00!

Look up "blow Hard" in the dictionary and this guys picture is right there.

damn ; ] i thought i'd see 'dink mountainman' laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by JDinCO

Better then me, I made it to 1:25, I much prefer getting to the point or if not, to be entertaining in delivery. He isn't.

No kidding JDinCO, 'let us not beat around the bush' is one of the commandments i think.

Trump Won!
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,567 guests, and 1,157 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,812
Posts18,477,605
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.