Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have been looking at their specifications in Lapua's web page, but I cannot discern any differencers, performance-wise on game, between them.

I see the have a great following from some of you and I would really appreciate your comments and help.

Tnah You in advance,

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You won't find any discussion of performance on game on their website because they don't market scenars as hunting bullets. Scenar L's are supposed to be more uniform and accurate, and they're marketed as better match bullets.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I know, but I was trying to find some indications on the thickness of their jackets, maybe on their core alloys... something that would give me a clue.

I was expecting some advise from those who have used both versions, the regular and the L, but not getting any, I thought maybe I could lean something from the manufacturer.

In any case, smokepole, thank you for you comments.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
I've always thought the jackets on the Scenar were a bit harder than Berger Jackets.

Be interesting to run a Rockwell test on the two....

Send me a couple of each.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Otter6
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
I've always thought the jackets on the Scenar were a bit harder than Berger Jackets.

Be interesting to run a Rockwell test on the two....

Send me a couple of each.

Was this ever done?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I always appreciate these discussions about specific bullets out of specific calibers with defined ranges or impact velocities. I think there are certain match bullets that can perform spectacularly on big game out of certain rifles and others that may seem similar on paper don't work as well. This applies to both hunting bullets and match bullets. For example, many people have had fantastic success with 180 Sierra Game Kings but out of a 300 Winchester, I've only witnessed them fail miserably. I've heard, that .338 215gr Sierra Game Kings are so hard that they often fail to expand at all, even at closer ranges and .338 Winchester velocities on critters as large as elk. I myself, have found that the 168 Berger Hunting VLDs in 7mm are absolutely fantastic on elk, black bears, deer, and antelope; however the only elk I've killed with a 7mm 180 Berger Hybrid was not so fantastic. It killed the elk but seemed to come apart very quickly and didn't penetrate as deeply as I would have expected a 168 VLD to do. I first tried a Berger 180 VLD on a cow last year and it killed the elk but appeared to act more like an FMJ than I expected. Maybe I didn't hit any bone but at about 300 yards there was a pencil sized hole for an exit and she probably lasted for close to a minute before she went down.

My buddy liked the results I was getting with 168 VLDs out of my 7mmRM and he tried the 30 cal 168 VLDs out of his 300 Winchester. It appeared to be a much more explosive load than I was getting. His last big game animal with these was a white-tailed buck from about 70 yards that blew a 5 inch diameter entrance wound on its side that he had to track for 1/4 of a mile. He said the blood trail was spectacular as it looked like someone had hosed down all the area on the left side of the trail with garden hose full of blood.

Results vary. I wouldn't say my experiences are more or less valid than anyone else's. I would say, when trying to match the results others are reporting, make sure you match the exact bullets with the reported impact velocities. Variations in caliber and velocities can yield very different results.

Cross

Last edited by Cross; 03/29/21.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cross
I always appreciate these discussions about specific bullets out of specific calibers with defined ranges or impact velocities. I think there are certain match bullets that can perform spectacularly on big game out of certain rifles and others that may seem similar on paper don't work as well. This applies to both hunting bullets and match bullets. For example, many people have had fantastic success with 180 Sierra Game Kings but out of a 300 Winchester, I've only witnessed them fail miserably. I've heard, that .338 215gr Sierra Game Kings are so hard that they often fail to expand at all, even at closer ranges and .338 Winchester velocities on critters as large as elk. I myself, have found that the 168 Berger Hunting VLDs in 7mm are absolutely fantastic on elk, black bears, deer, and antelope; however the only elk I've killed with a 7mm 180 Berger Hybrid was not so fantastic. It killed the elk but seemed to come apart very quickly and didn't penetrate as deeply as I would have expected a 168 VLD to do. I first tried a Berger 180 VLD on a cow last year and it killed the elk but appeared to act more like an FMJ than I expected. Maybe I didn't hit any bone but at about 300 yards there was a pencil sized hole for an exit and she probably lasted for close to a minute before she went down.

My buddy liked the results I was getting with 168 VLDs out of my 7mmRM and he tried the 30 cal 168 VLDs out of his 300 Winchester. It appeared to be a much more explosive load than I was getting. His last big game animal with these was a white-tailed buck from about 70 yards that blew a 5 inch diameter entrance wound on its side that he had to track for 1/4 of a mile. He said the blood trail was spectacular as it looked like someone had hosed down all the area on the left side of the trail with garden hose full of blood.

Results vary. I wouldn't say my experiences are more or less valid than anyone else's. I would say, when trying to match the results others are reporting, make sure you match the exact bullets with the reported impact velocities. Variations in caliber and velocities can yield very different results.

Cross

Very well said.

hat is why I use Accubonds, Partitions, TTSX, Hammers and others that are similar. Accuracy is fantastic with them all in my rifles.
I personally do not see any advantage to using bergers, matchkings or scenars on game.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Fotis

That is why I use Accubonds, Partitions, TTSX, Hammers and others that are similar. Accuracy is fantastic with them all in my rifles.
I personally do not see any advantage to using bergers, matchkings or scenars on game.

Love those partitions and accubonds myself, but why don't you explain to us the disadvantages of the 139gr Scenar on game performance, since that is what this thread is about.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider

That is why I use Accubonds, Partitions, TTSX, Hammers and others that are similar. Accuracy is fantastic with them all in my rifles.

Love those partitions and accubonds myself, but why don't you explain to us the disadvantages of the 139gr Scenar on game performance, since that is what this thread is about.

I do not have time to dik around with match bullets is my point. If some one wants to use them the MK's or the bergers by all means do. All my loads for my 40 plus big game rifles use Barnes, nosler, hornady, Hammer, GS Custom bullets. I have used them for over decades and they kill and shoot great. Now why would I want to work up loads with a scenar?

That is my thought on the matter. Notice I did not mention any disadvantages on the scenars. I just do not see any advantages for switching to them.

μολὼν λαβέ

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I do not have time to dik around with match bullets is my point.

I don't give a rip what you shoot but if this is your Scenar excuse, you need to catch up...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Shoot what you want dude...what is your problem? You wanna use them go ahead!
Most of my rifles are WBYS.

Last thing I want to do is launch a 139 at 3400 fps from a 6.5 Bee at an elk. GET IT?

Last edited by Fotis; 03/30/21.

μολὼν λαβέ

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Lol Then what part of 139 scenar in a 6.5 creed made you open read and reply? I can’t believe someone that is too busy to dik around with match bullets and finds typing weatherby out to be too long has the time to participate in a thread about a bullet that’s of no interest?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Shoot what you want dude...what is your problem? You wanna use them go ahead!
Most of my rifles are WBYS.

Last thing I want to do is launch a 139 at 3400 fps from a 6.5 Bee at an elk. GET IT?

No need to get emotional or insecure...

Scenars simply don't behave in the way you suggested. This is very well documented. I was simply pointing that out.

- Greg

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Lol Then what part of 139 scenar in a 6.5 creed made you open read and reply? I can’t believe someone that is too busy to dik around with match bullets and finds typing weatherby out to be too long has the time to participate in a thread about a bullet that’s of no interest?

Fotis likes to let folks know anytime he can that anything less than Weatherby cartridges and Barnes bullets at a big game animal is selling yourself short....

That said, I was simply pointing out to him that his suggestion that Scenars perform like match bullets on big game is erroneous and that he needed to do a bit of research. He obviously did not like that suggestion....

- Greg

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by Kaleb

Fotis likes to let folks know anytime he can that anything less than Weatherby cartridges and Barnes bullets at a big game animal is selling yourself short....

I never said or insinuated same. Everyone likes what they like. I usually like stout bullets and big magnums. I also shoot cup and core bullets out of my lesser calibers 6.5's 6mm's 308 708 etc..

μολὼν λαβέ

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
True Greg. Too bad he’s too busy to read some of the personal experiences from several of the members who use them. Several members that need no introduction on what all they’ve harvested with the bullets.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
That's what commenting about something you have zero experience with gets you.......no credibility on the subject. When a guy, including myself, says something like "there's no advantage to such and such", it would help if you have some sort of data, experience, etc to base your opinion on instead of just spouting off.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chamois
Can someone please illustrate me on the differences between the Scenar, and the Scenar "L".

I was going to place my order and noticed about an "L" version I had not heard.

I will be using them for hunting, in a 6.5 mm cartridge with a 1-8" twist.

I would like to know what the difference is also

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Several samples of the Scenar L’s vs the earlier versions are stated more tightly controlled manufacturing. I’ve observed the L’s also are tipped in the 155 30 cal and the 6.5’s I have. Being tipped (smaller metplat) I guess they would resist opening as much as the standard Scenar’s. Also, some weights have more vacant tip ahead of the core, as on the 155. I suspect that’s a large part of their excellent performance on flesh and bone. I have not personally shot them into an animal, but after buying a few of those Mauser M12 308’s, I traded for 1000 of those 155’s and that’s what I’m loading.

Shoot straight, shoot often
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I'd use a match bullet for match shooting and shoot bullets designed for shooting animals for shooting animals. What is the difference in BC and what difference does it make at the ranges you anticipate killing animals?

Here is some of the old ignorance I"m guilty of sometimes just hanging on.

Some match bullets were and are not best. But ones like Berger, and Scenar have never shown me a failure. And while others have said SMK have failed I've yet to see that issue.

I've had FAR more issues from supposed hunting bullets like SGK and others have had issues with Barnes early ones while I've never seen an issue with a barnes personally.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (06hunter59, 10ring1, 1234, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,201 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,920
Posts18,479,734
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.