Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have used 5 sets on different rifles over the last 10-15 years and no troubles yet.

GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I've owned 2 sets. Both cracked at the base. I love Talley's steel rings, but won't venture into the LW realm again. One was a LW 280 AI, the other a LW 300 WBY. I have their steel rings on 4 rifles now and really like those.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Has anyone ever rung up Talley after breaking some and talked to them about it?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
PFNZ:

I emailed them a few pictures of the issue I had. I included details on gun and scope models, my scope mounting method, and total number of rounds shot with the rings. I inquired about the possibility of a bad run of materials.

I got a reply asking for my address so that they could replace the broken part and a statement that to the best of their knowledge, they didn't experience a bad run on materials.

Several days later I received not only a replacement for the broken top strap, but also a set of steel bases and rings for my application. So, CS was outstanding, and is the reason I try to buy from Talley if they offer a product that fits my needs. Just no more LW for me.

Last edited by Starbuck; 04/25/21.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I called them and they were very nice. They said pics or proof weren’t necessary. They just sent me another. Actually, two if I remember correctly because both bases cracked at the same time in more or less the same place.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BKinSD
What do people use instead?

On rifles that I want to use a 1 piece base/ring to avoid the rail over the action I use the Hawkins Hybrids exclusively. Little more then 2x the cost of talley LW’s but built of better material, hell for stout, level in the rear cap and have 25 moa built in.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Starbuck
PFNZ:

I emailed them a few pictures of the issue I had. I included details on gun and scope models, my scope mounting method, and total number of rounds shot with the rings. I inquired about the possibility of a bad run of materials.

I got a reply asking for my address so that they could replace the broken part and a statement that to the best of their knowledge, they didn't experience a bad run on materials.

Several days later I received not only a replacement for the broken top strap, but also a set of steel bases and rings for my application. So, CS was outstanding, and is the reason I try to buy from Talley if they offer a product that fits my needs. Just no more LW for me.

They're obviously pretty aware of it happening occasionally, wonder if they've considered a design or manufacturing process change to try fix it

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Originally Posted by BKinSD
What do people use instead?

On rifles that I want to use a 1 piece base/ring to avoid the rail over the action I use the Hawkins Hybrids exclusively. Little more then 2x the cost of talley LW’s but built of better material, hell for stout, level in the rear cap and have 25 moa built in.

If the Hawkins Hybrids came in lower heights I've have a lot more of them. Very nice rings, just to high.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have had several in the past but replaced most for other reasons other than failure

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
PFNZ:

I figured the same in regards to a design, manufacturing, or composition change. However, based on the direction these threads always seem to take, there's also a lot of people who've gotten good service from Talley LW and have no intention of switching; so, perhaps it hasn't been a big enough problem to impact their bottom line? Or, perhaps they have actually made a change but didn't care to announce it, thereby also tacitly sending the message that the product you previously purchased from them may or may not have issues.

Last edited by Starbuck; 04/25/21.
IC B3

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
The failure rate concerns me as it does appear to be higher than most other rings/mounting systems, however there isn't a viable alternative for a Rem model 7 in a lightweight ring mount except the DNZ mounts, I may try those. Or just a rail & Warne mountain tech picatinny rings

My Talleys haven't failed yet though - only 9 months into ownership of my current single pair, on a .223. Yesterday's result

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by PathFilmsNZ; 04/26/21.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That is a nice chocolate fallow

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by PathFilmsNZ
.......there isn't a viable alternative for a Rem model 7 in a lightweight ring mount except the DNZ mounts, I may try those. Or just a rail & Warne mountain tech picatinny rings.....

DNZ work well and are light but are really tight on ring spacing. I like to have rings as close to the end of the tube as possible and the spacing on the DNZ's can limit that. The DNZ work well with short tubed scopes like a NF SHV 3-10x42.

Burris 2 piece bases with low Pic rings work really well on M7's for keeping a scope low.

Last edited by JCMCUBIC; 04/27/21.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by PathFilmsNZ
.......there isn't a viable alternative for a Rem model 7 in a lightweight ring mount except the DNZ mounts, I may try those. Or just a rail & Warne mountain tech picatinny rings.....

DNZ work well and are light but are really tight on ring spacing. I like to have rings as close to the end of the tube as possible and the spacing on the DNZ's can limit that. The DNZ work well with short tubed scopes like a NF SHV 3-10x42.

Burris 2 piece bases with low Pic rings work really well on M7's for keeping a scope low.

DNZ's are much better than Talley's. I use them exclusively now.

Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

392 members (1badf350, 163bc, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 41 invisible), 2,002 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,216
Posts18,504,034
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.