Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I won't even shoot FMJ in 200 yard Standing Highpower. 2 MOA ammo uses up almost the entire 10 ring, before you even take into account holding error.

I’m pretty sure no one uses 55gr fmj at the 200yd line..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I never bought this particular rifle for precise target shooting & the only one I've put together is a cheap PSA mid length. I doubt it'll do any better than the Bush master/ Remington whatever it is I've got. Just bored & wanting to see how good I can get it to shoot without spending lots of $$. Never even shot my Ruger m77 .308 at 200, & never had a reason to. Never shot a deer over 100 yds that I can recall. I've got a better trigger though, which should be more of a pleasure to shoot. Thanks for all the comments, even the smarta$$ ones.👍

Romans 5:1
79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Couple yrs back we had a Nasty guard (national guard)show up To a match shooting high power with sling no optics. He pulls out for ammo 62gr green tip he procured from the Arms room. He was the head guy for the guard team, anyhow he shot that stuff at the 600yd line. He ran out of elevation had to adjust front post to get more elevation lol. But he made it work, didn’t shoot a very good score like 130 something like that. Later I told him go buy some of that mag tech ammo loaded with 77 Sierra’s otm. He was like nope I want the guard to buy the black hills mk262 ammo.. I was like uh ok,, well he finally broke down went and bought some of that ammo and holy chit it did make a difference..

Last edited by 79S; 05/02/21.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not sure I could hit a chevette at 600 yards. That's a freakin long way, maybe a Buick though?😊

Romans 5:1
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S
I won't even shoot FMJ in 200 yard Standing Highpower. 2 MOA ammo uses up almost the entire 10 ring, before you even take into account holding error.

No surprise, the ones that do are never in the winner's circle.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

No surprise, the ones that do are never in the winner's circle.

Yeah I typed before thinking lol because my buddy was going to use 55gr fmj at the 600yd mid range match last week. I told him you are going to have a real rough day using those. He’s new to all of this didn’t know any better. So being the nice guy I am, I loaded him up some no name 75gr otm for the match. I think they are ppu Bullets..
His reason for wanting to use those 55’s because they shot real well at 25yds.

Last edited by 79S; 05/02/21.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I hope no one thinks they’re gonna win matches with FMJ ammo but sometimes it’s good enough. Especially when it was cheap.

I think the OP was just checking the 50/200 theory, not trying to win a match.

I also think he’d be better off with a 100 yard zero and not have to worry about offset quite so much. Everything is low till 100 and then everything is low again. Pretty simple to remember. I bet most folks with red dots and carbines, choose the 50/200 because it’s easier to zero at 50 and they will never attempt 200 anyway.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have a story about this...
A while back, I had been hearing about a hard holding WM (Woman Marine) who was shooting summer team and had just won the woman's Service Rifle Championship at Perry the month prior. I naturally thought they were referring to Watson...but I was corrected that it was not Red.

I was to meet GySgt Tamara Fode at the next match. The Marines were shooting M14's for Post and Station Teams, so she brought her personal AR and some store bought ammo. During the course of getting to know her, she showed me her ammo; 55's and 69's. You have to understand that military team shooters just shoot what they're handed. So..shooting without military support was uncharted territory for her.

She asked me if she thought they'd do OK at 600? I told her they weren't ideal, but if she watched her wind calls and was aggressive on the knob, she could do OK. Internally I was thinking "train wreck" and was tempted to give her some of my ammo, but I didn't bring extra that day.

Coming off the 600 yard line, we compared scores...She shot a very respectable aggregate and 'effen cleaned my clock at 600 yards!! I want to say she shot a 194 and beat my 192 in a tough wind...Later I found that she had just fired a 491 in the NTI beating out Watson for the Women's Trophy that year.

Couple yrs back we had a Nasty guard (national guard)show up To a match shooting high power with sling no optics. He pulls out for ammo 62gr green tip he procured from the Arms room. He was the head guy for the guard team, anyhow he shot that stuff at the 600yd line. He ran out of elevation had to adjust front post to get more elevation lol. But he made it work, didn’t shoot a very good score like 130 something like that. Later I told him go buy some of that mag tech ammo loaded with 77 Sierra’s otm. He was like nope I want the guard to buy the black hills mk262 ammo.. I was like uh ok,, well he finally broke down went and bought some of that ammo and holy chit it did make a difference..

Isn't Fleisshacker up your way?...was he not able to get your Guardsman squared away for ammo?

Last edited by ChrisF; 05/03/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ChrisF
Coming off the 600 yard line, we compared scores...She shot a very respectable aggregate and 'effen cleaned my clock at 600 yards!! I want to say she shot a 194 and beat my 192 in a tough wind...Later I found that she had just fired a 491 in the NTI beating out Watson for the Women's Trophy that year.
Yow! That is something!

The few competent mortals I've met who somehow ended up with 69s at 600 went from their normal 180s-190s at 600 to scores south of 170 in challenging winds with those 69s.

Luckily, it doesn't happen often that people forget to grab their long-line ammo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have another story but it will take a bit because internet is down and I suck at pecking on the phone.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There’s much about shooting groups on this board but I got an amazing lesson in knowing your rifle/ammo capabilities and keeping things centered up.

The USMC runs the Division Matches in various sites across the globe, which is the first rung in their Competition in Arms Program (CIAP). Every Marine shooting for the MTU has won the privilege here first. Marines from across the fleet back then shot stock M16 A2’s with M855 Ball ammo (Green Tip) on the 5V targets.

The local club ran a civilian fun match the weekend before Div match day to give the Marines another chance to practice and to give the civilians the chance to shoot a little different style.
Civilians that showed up naturally brought their Highpower gear; heavy coats, tricked out AR’s and match ammo and shot alongside a handful of Marines shooting cloth coats, stock A2’s (with that crappy burst trigger), M855 and no mats.

Not a fair competition right? To encourage Marine sign ups we were handing out awards in a separate division for “combat rifles”.

But when the dust settled it was two Marines who were at the top. My civ friend Rudy who had just moved in from Oregon was third overall. How did two jar heads shooting with combat gear beat well equipped civilian including a few Master Class shooters?

Part 2 to come later.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I have a story about this...
A while back, I had been hearing about a hard holding WM (Woman Marine) who was shooting summer team and had just won the woman's Service Rifle Championship at Perry the month prior. I naturally thought they were referring to Watson...but I was corrected that it was not Red.

I was to meet GySgt Tamara Fode at the next match. The Marines were shooting M14's for Post and Station Teams, so she brought her personal AR and some store bought ammo. During the course of getting to know her, she showed me her ammo; 55's and 69's. You have to understand that military team shooters just shoot what they're handed. So..shooting without military support was uncharted territory for her.

She asked me if she thought they'd do OK at 600? I told her they weren't ideal, but if she watched her wind calls and was aggressive on the knob, she could do OK. Internally I was thinking "train wreck" and was tempted to give her some of my ammo, but I didn't bring extra that day.

Isn't Fleisshacker up your way?...was he not able to get your Guardsman squared away for ammo?

Fliesshacker very rarely shoots anymore. He might show up to the EIC matches and occasional bang and clangs. From my understanding he has kids and he’s busy with them and all their activities now.

Edit- but he will take time to coach if you are interested in going to camp perry.

Last edited by 79S; 05/03/21.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There’s much about shooting groups on this board but I got an amazing lesson in knowing your rifle/ammo capabilities and keeping things centered up.

The USMC runs the Division Matches in various sites across the globe, which is the first rung in their Competition in Arms Program (CIAP). Every Marine shooting for the MTU has won the privilege here first. Marines from across the fleet back then shot stock M16 A2’s with M855 Ball ammo (Green Tip) on the 5V targets.

The local club ran a civilian fun match the weekend before Div match day to give the Marines another chance to practice and to give the civilians the chance to shoot a little different style.
Civilians that showed up naturally brought their Highpower gear; heavy coats, tricked out AR’s and match ammo and shot alongside a handful of Marines shooting cloth coats, stock A2’s (with that crappy burst trigger, M855 and no mats.

Not a fair competition right? To encourage Marine sign ups we were handing out awards in a separate division for “combat rifles”.

But when the dust settled it was two Marines who were at the top. My civ friend Rudy who had just moved in from Oregon was third overall. How did two jar heads shooting with combat gear beat well equipped civilian including a few Master Class shooters?

Part 2 to come later.

Those marines were actually bsa and his twin brother????

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M

It usually takes about three matches for me to be comfortable with my zeros when changing scopes/uppers. I shot at Oak Ridge this past weekend.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

That is both strings and sighters at 300, 22 shots total. This was my second match with a new upper. It was a good confirmation that my zero was 1/2 minute or so off. (I felt my NPA was slightly right of center). I shot a 195 with 5.

Sunday we shot a Leg match, made the 1/2 minute change, NPA was a little better. 99-2X (I stuck a 9 way out on shot number 8, knew it when I let it go)

Keeping things centered up is important, and difficult.

This is the 300 yard target. The course of fire to start standing, load a magazine with 2 rounds on a closed bolt, targets up, 70 seconds to get in prone position with a sling, no rest, charge the rifle, shoot two rounds, change magazines, shoot eight rounds. The ten ring is 7" diameter, so it is a little over 2 minutes at 300 yards. Tough target with a sling, 4.5 power scope, 4.5 pound trigger, getting in position, mag changes, wind changes, NPA, etc. and in the EIC (Leg) matches you get no sighters.

I won the Leg Match, got a hard leg, only need four to go out.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mike70560

It usually takes about three matches for me to be comfortable with my zeros when changing scopes/uppers. I shot at Oak Ridge this past weekend.

That is both strings and sighters at 300, 22 shots total. This was my second match with a new upper. It was a good confirmation that my zero was 1/2 minute or so off. (I felt my NPA was slightly right of center). I shot a 195 with 5.

Sunday we shot a Leg match, made the 1/2 minute change, NPA was a little better. 99-2X (I stuck a 9 way out on shot number 8, knew it when I let it go)

Keeping things centered up is important, and difficult.

This is the 300 yard target. The course of fire to start standing, load a magazine with 2 rounds on a closed bolt, targets up, 70 seconds to get in prone position with a sling, no rest, shoot two rounds, change magazines, shoot eight rounds. The ten ring is 7" diameter, so it is a little over 2 minute angle at 300 yards. Tough target with a sling, 4.5 power scope, 4.5 pound trigger, getting in position, mag changes, wind changes, NPA, etc. and in the EIC (Leg) matches you get no sighters.

I won the Leg Match, got a hard leg, only need four to go out.

What? You mean you don’t shoot that off a bench with a rifle rest and sandbags?? Don’t go confusing bsa with CMP rapid fire rules..

Edit- we had our first mid range match last week, and you could see the rust from the winter in alot of the scores. I didn’t shoot because I had to work.

Last edited by 79S; 05/03/21.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M

Originally Posted by 79S

What? You mean you don’t shoot that off a bench with a rifle rest and sandbags?? Don’t go confusing bsa with CMP rapid fire rules..

I have read in this forum a couple of times about shooting Highpower off sandbags and benches with big scopes etc.

We must be following the wrong rulebook.

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mike70560

Originally Posted by 79S

I have read in this forum a couple of times about shooting Highpower off sandbags and benches with big scopes etc.

We must be following the wrong rulebook.

I agree slinging up and shooting rapid fire is a whole different game compared to shooting them off the sandbags. Our club holds reduced yardage matches at 100yds using the appropriate targets. Even at 100yds it’s a chore lol. Especially standing slow fire.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is Mike70560, aka MikeD one time junior member of the “Nawlins” mafia? ...and is Big Ed’s Pizza still open?

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Different Mike.

Big Ed’s Pizza is still open and as busy as ever.

We enjoyed the pizza.

Last edited by Mike70560; 05/03/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats Mike!
Hope you enjoyed the chase!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (12344mag, 1234, 01Foreman400, 1Longbow, 160user, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,094 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,016
Posts18,481,606
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.