-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's only 12 gallons a year for you, but for every car in the country that has start/stop that might mean 12 million gallons - that we don't have to import now under the current Pretendident.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
It's only 12 gallons a year for you, but for every car in the country that has start/stop that might mean 12 million gallons - that we don't have to import now under the current Pretendident.
Those same "12 million gallons" are just redirected to the factories that manufacture starters - and the shops that have costs involved (heat/elec) to replace/service 'em.. There is no 'savings' - it's ALL political..

Maybe every greeny-weeny should be MANDATED to own/use only electric vehicles in order to save those 12 million gallons.. Oh, wait, it costs MORE to produce those than any savings gleaned... Damn..

laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EdM
I have two vehicles that have that feature, an Audi and a Porsche, and both allow disabling said feature.
for right now you can shut it disable it ,.who wants to bet me in the near future the car companies or goverment will take that option away from you ,and you wont be able to turn that offand disable it.. too save the planet

Last edited by rem shooter; 05/26/21.

NRA Life Member
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I find it irritating, which is enough reason for me.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Look at it this way. You get an improved starter. The starter bearings and bendix drive are heavy duty on the start stop models.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I always thought you were a smart guy. How can you not see restarting your car at every red light does not wear out the starter and flywheel. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
i recently bought a 2021 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack.

T?he Start/Stop feature is not a part or it. No menu options or dash buttons...........

If it did have it, I can't envision me being late in getting anyplace I need to go because I was forced to touch a computer menu item or a dash button. But I'm not a person who jumps into a vehicle and has it moving in reverse backing up while i'm still trying to get the driver side door shut. laugh

With any vehicle I've owned in the past maybe 30 years, I always give the engine some time (maybe 20 seconds max) to drop off high idle. With my new Challenger I wait a few seconds for the tach to fall into the 900-1000 K rpm's range. So far it hasn't made me late in arriving anywhere. If I was "forced" to push a dash button or a computer menu item in that time frame, I'm betting that I could handle it.... Some people seem to be able to make minutia into a life threatening event.......

The feature is on my wire's car, but so far it hasn't affected her sanity in any way that I can see, at least. But she is a born-that-way high-strung ginger and she has been my wife for years, so maybe I'm numb to looking. laugh

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945

I always thought you were a smart guy. How can you not see restarting your car at every red light does not wear out the starter and flywheel. Hasbeen

I have personal knowledge of 5+ vehicles that have this with many many10's of thousands of miles on them and not a single issue? Friend is a 40+ year (old school) mechanic who has mentioned not a single issue with them at a dealership. He grouses about alot (never ask about Kias) but the auto-start isn't an issue.

UPS and FedEx trucks are turned off at EVERY stop - UPS runs advanced telematics and they've proven the constant starting of the vehicle, with appropriately built starters - non event. Essentially what you're seeing it it's applied to passenger cars.

Me

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Commercial truck starters (as in UPS etc) are not the same as those on a passenger car/pickup.. Mucho more 'light duty' by comparison.. FWIW..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Redneck
Commercial truck starters (as in UPS etc) are not the same as those on a passenger car/pickup.. Mucho more 'light duty' by comparison.. FWIW..

The starter installed on a modern auto-start/stop vehicle isn't the same one in a 85 Cutlass either. Technology advances.

The starters and ancillary systems are being specifically built for this feature.

Commercial starters being larger to spin more mass but not made (originally) to be started 60+ times a day - they lived just fine under testing by UPS. So auto makers are building their new wares a bit beefier to handle it.

With what I've seen over the last decade and those that make a living slinging parts telling me they're not slinging them on these - I fret it not.

YMMV.

Me

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by Redneck

The starter installed on a modern auto-start/stop vehicle isn't the same one in a 85 Cutlass either. Technology advances.

The starters and ancillary systems are being specifically built for this feature.

Commercial starters being larger to spin more mass but not made (originally) to be started 60+ times a day - they lived just fine under testing by UPS. So auto makers are building their new wares a bit beefier to handle it.

With what I've seen over the last decade and those that make a living slinging parts telling me they're not slinging them on these - I fret it not.

YMMV.

Yes time marches on. Back when my dad was a auto mechanic. Car engines for some reason pretty much stoped at the same point each time . So when the stater engaged the ring gear on the flywheel it was always in the same location. That made the teeth give out usually on the starter but sometimes on the flywheel. Maybe this has changed.
Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not saying you're wrong, friend Redneck. But I think the claim of worn starters and flywheels is only an assumption until we see it actually happening. So far, nobody has posted here about such wear - or any cars needing new starters.

Or...one could just buy a Toyota Hybrid. No starter, no alternator, no belts, no pulleys, no transmission. And the start/stop feature is both seamless and transparent to the user. Their all-new super efficient 4-cyl sips gas but is very peppy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It sucks !

If you see a dump truck sliding toward you on wet pavement at a stop light, between that and the traction control feature…You and family are dead !

You won’t stomp the gas to avoid it because you have to wait for the engine to crank then if your wheel spins on wet pavement it bogs the motor down.

You need to post a checklist on the dash to turn both off

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 05/26/21.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Usually you can shut it off for when you are in stop/start traffic.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

Usually you can shut it off for when you are in stop/start traffic.

I live in the Houston area. It’s always stop and go. But that’s the idea of this after all. Imagine being in stop and go traffic on a freeway where you move 10 feet and stop. Thank goodness my F150 has a switch to disable this great idea.
Hasbeen

hasbeen

NRA Patron member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If that far-fetched scenario is the best you can come with to denigrate the system, Johnny, you're reaching too far.

But just to debunk your fantasy...there is no "cranking delay". By the time you move your foot from brake to gas, the engine is running again. No RrrrRrrrRrrr.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Teal
I'm not sure I understand the dislike of the system. In every car I've driven with that system, the engine starts instantly while moving my foot from brake to gas pedal. It is essentially no different than if the engine had stayed running. At all. Move foot - go.

As far as adding wear, I doubt that can be computed over the life of the engine. Today's engines are good for 300,000 miles at least. If start/stop adds wear, will you get only 280,000?

Yes, it may be of zero help with the climate, but the whole man-caused climate change idea is probably false to begin with. So the only effect is to save you a few drops of gas at each stop. That's not a bad thing, is it? Maybe it's only a gallon a month, but with all the cars out there, that's a shipload of gas.

I've generally heard 1/5 of a gallon an hour to idle a vehicle - obviously up/down based on size but average over all. Average 59 hours a year at red lights - so what 12 gallons of gas a year, saves you 36 bucks in fuel. I'm okay with that - especially, as you said, it's basically instant, doesn't seem to cause any mechanical issues.

Some of us have short memories.

Remember when Ford started putting this feature on their trucks?

Remember the issues of development of heavier starters, larger batteries, heavier charging systems to keep that larger battery replenished?

What do you suppose that R&D, and implementation added to the cost of the vehicles?

To me, at the time, it sure sounded like a very expensive answer to a nonexistent problem. And it still does.

Bottom line!

In today's world nobody dares to cross the greenie weenie liberals, or they will destroy you with a media campaign.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fact is it's something that I have no choice but to be hindered with it. You know, we know better than you.

[bleep] that [bleep].

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
It sucks !

If you see a dump truck sliding toward you on wet pavement at a stop light, between that and the traction control feature…You and family are dead !

You won’t stomp the gas to avoid it because you have to wait for the engine to crank then if your wheel spins on wet pavement it bogs the motor down.

You need to post a checklist on the dash to turn both off
On our Toyota, the engine starts in less time than it takes to move your foot from the brake to the gas. If the dump truck hits you, it's because your foot is too slow, not the starter.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Come 2030 you'll be begging for an auto start / stop vehicle instead of riding a bicycle everywhere.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,429
Posts18,470,760
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.