-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 57 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 56 57
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was at Physio Control in the 1990s when they were attacked by Ralph nader for having defibrillator failures. When you have most of the defibrillators in the field, you may have the most failures.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I rather enjoy The Excuses,which are simply "formulated"on Dumbfhuqktitude. Hint.

Everything "works",when it's NOT Tested. One of THE Greatest guys I worked for,had The Reupold Affliction and despite him having millions on me,I simply made Mechanical Sense. I told him "fhuqk everyone/everything,just gun Scope Guts" and his World changed. Hint.

Simply run 100yd lineal stadia,denote the "cited" come-up "values" and let Reality CRUSH Fantasies,if only for starters. Hint.

Barbed Wire,Rental Attempts and Reality seldom cross paths. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by mathman
I wonder if some who consider me a Leupold hater actually have and use fewer Leupold scopes than I do.

Yeah, I'm no hater. I've just experienced enough Leupold failures that I won't use them until I'm darn sure that things have changed.

The old adage comes to mind: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

BC grizzly, black bear, elk and moose, Alberta black bear, African serval to Cape buffalo, US multiple elk, deer and hogs without an issue with hundreds down the bores. Awaiting a go for this years BC hunt moved from last year for goat, elk and moose, 16 days on horseback with my Remington M700 rebore 338-06 with the same 2.5-8x Vari-X III that worked in all of its previous hunts. No worries here.

I realize you will find this fascinating, but one or two scopes aren't a reliable sample to determine reliability of a manufacturer....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by EdM
I wonder if some who consider me a Leupold hater actually have and use fewer Leupold scopes than I do.

Yeah, I'm no hater. I've just experienced enough Leupold failures that I won't use them until I'm darn sure that things have changed.

The old adage comes to mind: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

BC grizzly, black bear, elk and moose, Alberta black bear, African serval to Cape buffalo, US multiple elk, deer and hogs without an issue with hundreds down the bores. Awaiting a go for this years BC hunt moved from last year for goat, elk and moose, 16 days on horseback with my Remington M700 rebore 338-06 with the same 2.5-8x Vari-X III that worked in all of its previous hunts. No worries here.

As long as they meet your requirements that's great. Use them and enjoy them.

For some folks "hundreds down the bores" is something that's done in a single shooting session with dialing adjustments for range between groups of shots at different distances. The differences show up here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
An old Weaver may have been mechanically tougher than the subject scope, the modern Leupold.

This. And it's still tougher. As I recently discovered when I put a K2.5 on a '36 M70 '06.

If you expect to have to check zero after each session, and are willing to blame bedding for all shifts, you might not notice Leup deficiencies.

Till you mount that K2.5 and find POI doesn't shift, or until you get a SWFA.

Scopes fix bedding problems. Who knew.

Not doing it all at once, but the Leups will be replaced.

And my "old" M8-8x became a rattle. Sent back, now on a 10/22. Hmmm.....may have to rethink that semiauto blowback recoil. Maybe just unload it.

Last edited by Sam_H; 06/09/21.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always had junck scopes or old Redfields. Bought them cheeeep.
Then I put a used Leupold on s lighter 300 mag.
Chased zero, every year.
Hmm, flimsy stock?
Stiffened, bedded it.
Still a beat up, pissed off shooter.
Chasing zero.

Put one on my 308.
Good stock, bedded.
Replaced mounts.
Rebedded everything.

Still issues.

Never considered it could be a problem with the scope.
"Hell I've got Leupolds."
Never had any issues with Bushnells or Tascos.

Then I started seeing these posts about the problem.
Hmmmm. Sounds familiar.

I'm not an Indian.
Not much of a tracker.
But can see the signs here. (If they are pointed out to me.)

PS. The old 3x9 on a 760 30-06 tracks fine.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Yeah, I'm no hater.

Oh, no, of course not.That's why you are posting as prolifically as you are in a Leupold hate thread.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
I'm not willing to tolerate a scope that doesn't adjust correctly, I'm not into chasing zero.
Your post proves what I thought, you've never used a quality scope that adjusts as it is supposed to. Therefore you have no clue to how they should and can perform

I have several scopes that adjust properly. My Meopro seems to be well respected here. It is one that adjusts properly. I am kinda meh about it. All of my scopes do what I need them to do. My Leupolds do more than I want them to. They make presumably grown men melt down.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sheister

I realize you will find this fascinating, but one or two scopes aren't a reliable sample to determine reliability of a manufacturer....

Apparently reliability cannot be established unless the scope has a round count into the thousands, gets dragged across mountains and rides in a scabbard on horseback. Now we must have more than one or two that have passed that test before we have a reliable scope.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Apparently reliability cannot be established unless the scope has a round count into the thousands, gets dragged across mountains and rides in a scabbard on horseback. Now we must have more than one or two that have passed that test before we have a reliable scope.

You admit in this post that none adjust properly, yet you still will not admit their failures

Wow, who could have seen that coming? Almost everyone I know who uses a Leupold straps it to their 4 wheeler rack and hauls ass from the truck to the stand. None of them drag their rifles anywhere. I shoot more than a box a year and have never had a failure. Though I doubt I have a round count of over 500 on any of them. I also have some Leupold made Redfields that have been great. None have adjusted precisely getting them zeroed, but have been 100% reliable once there. VX-2 and below.

LMAO

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

You admit in this post that none adjust properly, yet you still will not admit their failures

LMAO

Why would I lie about failures? None have failed me for what I use them for. I certainly won't pitch a hissy fit if you want to call imprecision in adjusting to zero a failure. If it makes you feel better, please do so. You obviously need some joy in your life.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

LMAO

Why would I lie about failures? None have failed me for what I use them for. I certainly won't pitch a hissy fit if you want to call imprecision in adjusting to zero a failure. If it makes you feel better, please do so. You obviously need some joy in your life.

I case your small brain can't comprehend, I'll lay it out fir you FAILURE to adjust properly is a FAILURE

LMAO

Last edited by jwp475; 06/09/21.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

LMAO

I case your small brain can't comprehend, I'll lay it out fir you FAILURE to adjust properly is a FAILURE

LMAO

Lean into your joy hun, lean into it!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

If you can't shoot 1 shot measure the difference between POI and POA, adjust if the next shot isn't spot on where it's supposed to be, the scope is a POS

Plain as day, but the amazing part is those that don't get that

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I shot rifles chambered in 6mmbr and 30br in a local Varmint For Score match when I was in Colorado.
It's a monthly match and there was plenty of time to check out the other rifles to see what worked for that game and what didn't.
I'm cheap so I started with a Weaver 36x but there were also Leupold 36x and 45x, Nightforce variables and Sightron 36x on the line.

After a while, an optics upgrade seemed in order but I couldn't justify the cost of a Nightforce for a monthly match.
I was envious of the glass in the Leupold scopes until I saw how poorly they tracked if you needed to adjust during the match.
Most of the Leupold shooters would "hold off" to hit the 10 ring rather than try to adjust 1/4" and then waste time shooting the sighter target to see where they were actually hitting.

The Weaver and Sightron 36x would move one click when you adjusted one click so I never did "Upgrade".

I still have one Leupold VXII 3-9 on a 7x57 that seems fine for that job.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

If you can't shoot 1 shot measure the difference between POI and POA, adjust if the next shot isn't spot on where it's supposed to be, the scope is a POS

Lean into it hun! Hard!

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Lean into it hun! Hard!

Is that your meable attempt at humor

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Lean into it hun! Hard!

Is that your meable attempt at humor

If there is a single word that best describes me, it is meable.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Reputation sabotage by Korean hackers paid for by Vortex....and the Russians.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hookeye
Leupold was popular w groundhog hunters here, and by some pretty picky ones too.

Ive had decent luck w Leupold, hold zero fine. But I dont dial and have had my zero stay.

The issues Ive had were something funky from the factory, which they fixed or replaced ( 4 scopes since 1980 ) and the initial zero in. Varmint cartridges didnt offer enough recoil to make things stay on adj. The old wimp Leupold single spring vs the dual Burris I suspect.

Tapping turrets worked.

PITA

Around here 500 is a hell of a rip on chucks and most places under 300. So set and forget works for me.

Hard to go non Leupold when scoping a pretty rifle though.

Sounds familiar.

I have an older, friction knob Vari-X II 3-9 on a Hornet that, IIRC, hasn’t been touched since I got it dialed in with the The Load about 20 years ago. How many rounds and how many “taps” it took to get there are forgotten. A 2-7 ML model has endured at least 200 rounds on a very light and pretty lively .50 without issue so far. My present VX-5HD 2-10 and a VX-3i 3.5-10 sighted in and seemed to adjust okay, probably because the double springs in those have enough azz to move the erector without having to jar it loose by banging on the turret. The 3 is gone, but the 5 is still on a 6mm (but may get sent back to correct the fuzz on the reticle). Those are the Good, at least so far.

The Bad are all the ones that need to be banged on to get sighted in, including (but far from only) an M8 4X I bought to be “period correct” on an old custom, and a VX-2 3-9 purchased a few years ago. Shoot. Adjust. Shoot again. Adjust. Shoot again, swear because when it finally moved it went too far. Adjust back, bang on the knobs, and finally when POI seems to stay where I want it, call it good, and hope it doesn’t decide to finish moving on the way home or at some other random moment. We all say we want to shoot more, but I don’t think this is what we mean. How much ammo did all that consume? If the load wasn’t quite as good as we expected, was it the load, the rifle, the crusty old codger at the helm, or the scope? Do I have to go home and crank out more ammo because I burned up so much trying to sight in?

Now I have a bunch of scopes from other makers that adjust properly and hopefully will stay put; none have very many rounds on them as yet. Have one that jumped zero on a Mini-14, a tough ride, that has to be tested then maybe put on a .22, or simply set aside. Not going to suffer any more that don’t measure up, whatever the brand.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 8 of 57 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 56 57

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 58 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,931
Posts18,498,686
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.