Originally Posted by hookeye
Leupold was popular w groundhog hunters here, and by some pretty picky ones too.

Ive had decent luck w Leupold, hold zero fine. But I dont dial and have had my zero stay.

The issues Ive had were something funky from the factory, which they fixed or replaced ( 4 scopes since 1980 ) and the initial zero in. Varmint cartridges didnt offer enough recoil to make things stay on adj. The old wimp Leupold single spring vs the dual Burris I suspect.

Tapping turrets worked.

PITA

Around here 500 is a hell of a rip on chucks and most places under 300. So set and forget works for me.

Hard to go non Leupold when scoping a pretty rifle though.

Sounds familiar.

I have an older, friction knob Vari-X II 3-9 on a Hornet that, IIRC, hasn’t been touched since I got it dialed in with the The Load about 20 years ago. How many rounds and how many “taps” it took to get there are forgotten. A 2-7 ML model has endured at least 200 rounds on a very light and pretty lively .50 without issue so far. My present VX-5HD 2-10 and a VX-3i 3.5-10 sighted in and seemed to adjust okay, probably because the double springs in those have enough azz to move the erector without having to jar it loose by banging on the turret. The 3 is gone, but the 5 is still on a 6mm (but may get sent back to correct the fuzz on the reticle). Those are the Good, at least so far.

The Bad are all the ones that need to be banged on to get sighted in, including (but far from only) an M8 4X I bought to be “period correct” on an old custom, and a VX-2 3-9 purchased a few years ago. Shoot. Adjust. Shoot again. Adjust. Shoot again, swear because when it finally moved it went too far. Adjust back, bang on the knobs, and finally when POI seems to stay where I want it, call it good, and hope it doesn’t decide to finish moving on the way home or at some other random moment. We all say we want to shoot more, but I don’t think this is what we mean. How much ammo did all that consume? If the load wasn’t quite as good as we expected, was it the load, the rifle, the crusty old codger at the helm, or the scope? Do I have to go home and crank out more ammo because I burned up so much trying to sight in?

Now I have a bunch of scopes from other makers that adjust properly and hopefully will stay put; none have very many rounds on them as yet. Have one that jumped zero on a Mini-14, a tough ride, that has to be tested then maybe put on a .22, or simply set aside. Not going to suffer any more that don’t measure up, whatever the brand.

What fresh Hell is this?