Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I get a kick out of the guys endlessly punching holes in paper from a bench or twiddling knobs to bang steel at long ranges from their bipod and stressing if their scope does't move POI precisely 1/4" per click at 100. Both bore me to tears and have nothing to do with my success in the field. Wonder how good those boys can shoot offhand at 50-100 yards. That's what's important to my hunting success and what I practice constantly, mostly with .22's on my back yard range and I know I can step out the back door right now and bang out a 1.5" or so group from 50 yards with my .22 or .30-30. Most of the bench/bipod bound boys at my club range can't hit a bushel basket at 100 yards without a solid rest. They must all hunt from stands with rests. They sure wouldn't kill much still hunting or tracking when they had to take that quick off hand shot at 75 yards to fill their tag.

It’s possible to care about, and practice, both styles of shooting (unsupported field positions as well as supported positions). Some people hunt mixed terrain in addition to shooting target/competition at paper and/or steel.

Your example is a good illustration of scope expectations differing. The first guy isolates scope function and notices a 1 MOA shift or a failure to track or RTZ, while you expect to keep all your shots within about 3 MOA from offhand, so probably wouldn’t notice or care if your scope’s zero jumped by 1 MOA with each shot, as long as it didn’t prevent the 3 MOA offhand groups. Nothing wrong with that, just different expectations from the scope.
All true except in the case of me and my particular Marlin .30-30. It is capable of consistent sub MOA 3 shot groups. If it were jumping zero by 1" between shots, I'd know it. I check zero on it periodically and it hasn't needed any adjustment in years. It wears a 1-4X20 vari-x II.