Originally Posted by Shadow
Originally Posted by greydog
I want rugged scopes which will hold zero and I want clean, readily visible, simple reticles. However, I see no reason not to expect the scope to adjust precisely and repeatably. Leupold could easily build that scope but they just won't do it. Likewise, SWFA (Tasco) could produce a rugged 6x with a simple reticle but they won't do that either. GD

I feel your pain. Tasco by the way, originally spec'd the scope to sell to the military and had it built in Japan. SWFA bought the rights, and continued to have them built in Japan. So it's now all SWFA's baby, they own it. Tasco never built it they just ordered some custom items off a menu so to speak.

As far as reticle go, the Mil Quad is pretty simple. I guess you'd rather a German #4, and so would I, if they'd make one with an illuminated center cross hair or circle Dot.

But then were talking a higher price point, and then they might lose more sales than they gain. The Gucci principal doesn't always work ( meaning it's easier to sell one $400 pair of shoes , than eight $50.00 pairs of shoes) in the market place. And scope buyers are as fickle a bunch as any anywhere.

Just one, Oh, snap failure, and a scope is poor mouthed to hell and back. Cheaper scopes invite failures, but what's unique about the SWFA SS line they are both cheap and rugged. Even their Top of the Line 5-20x50mm was pretty cheap when it first came out. They have not tried to improve it, unfortunately and some models (but not all) of Vortex, Bushnell, Athlon and Swampfox, for example are giving SWFA's cheap but rugged 5-20x50mm a run for their money.

Nobody beats their SWFA Classic's though, the 6x is just outstanding from a price/ feature / delivering value standpoint.....

Simple s a duplex crosshair with or without a dot. Illumination is not required. I can shoot well with either one. Keep in mind, this is strictly for a hunting scope; not a PRS scope. For most hunting or for any kind of known distance target shooting, a reticle with a single aiming point is just fine.
Regarding light transmission, it becomes, once again, more a matter of perception than anything. I can see much better at dusk through a 4X Weaver J4 (3/4 inch tube) than I can with the naked eye so I always wonder just what, realistically, I need from a scope. It's not life or death and, if it was, I'd use a light! GD