You don't "need" to take long shots. In fact, you don't "need" to take any shots at all.

Amen. There is a current segment of shooters (I don't call them hunters) who are basically just using game animals as live long range pop up targets. And if it all goes well then they run to the internet to brag about the shot or maybe even post video on youtube. Of course you will never see or hear about the long shots that blew a deers lower leg off. Nope, you will never see the video of that boogered up and lost animal. Why if that kind of information got out it would seriously damage the sniper cred of those tech savy people "IN THE KNOW" who refer to people like me as, what was the word again, oh yeah Luddites. And why? Because I am consistently capable of getting within 300 yards of the animals I hunt so that I don't need a 2 foot long, 4 pound scope with 3 inch target turrents, a ballistic plex reticle, and a friend with a spotter scope to help me dope my shots. All the deer and hogs I have shot sure seemed dead to me but apparently I have been doing it wrong all this time. What I should have done is changed scopes and backed off to 700 yards to see if I could still hit the deer. Then I would be a real man.