Originally Posted by Willto
Your also the one that came on this thread bashing alpha glass that you’ve admittedly never used.

And that is where you are wrong again. I said I didn't need a target scope for hunting. And that some of the target scopes like SWFA while possessing certain features that are good for long range shooting did not have the best glass or light transmission. I clearly stated waaaaay back in this thread that you could indeed get all the target scope features you desire and high quality glass and good low light performance BUT that you would pay a damn high price for it. I can go back and find the post if you like. My point has consistently been why pay for those target scope features if you do not need them, There are still lots of places where a set it and forget it light weight hunting scope with good glass is all you need.

I've owned lots of SWFA SS 6x, 10x, 1-4x, and 3-9x scopes, in addition to a bunch of VXII, VXIII, FX3, M7, Vari-XII, etc., Leupold scopes. Your assessment of the lowlight capabilities of the SWFA scopes is not consistent with my experience. The glass in the SWFA 6x and 10x is at least VXII quality, in terms of clarity and brightness/lowlight performance, and the glass in the SWFA HD scopes like the 3-9x is at least VX3 quality, if not better.

Even for a set-and-forget application, my experience has been that clarity and brightness is similar between the VX3 3.5-10x and SWFA 3-9x, but zero retention has been consistently better with SWFA scopes compared to Leups. Leupold scopes certainly aren't the worst at zero retention, and are pretty decent compared to many scopes, but my point is that even for set-and-forget, there are reasons to go with some of the most mechanically robust scopes on the market, like the SWFA line, over something like a VX3. If the increase in reliability isn't worth the price increase to you, that's up to you to decide.