Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by mathman
An old Weaver may have been mechanically tougher than the subject scope, the modern Leupold.

I wouldn't doubt it, but that doesn't change the fact that the line "the scope is used to kill game, so therefore it must work correctly" is simply a straw-man argument.
I watched him check zero on that rifle last fall. It was shooting about an inch to the left and put 3 shots in about a 1 1/4" group at 100. Not bad after falling 18 feet.

Agreed. I was addressing the EK and JOC comment.
EK and JOC's scopes obviously worked well enough.

Which is why I brought up the standards to which we hold our scopes. If EK's and JOC's scopes shifted an MOA or two from one season to the next, I doubt they'd notice or care. With today's manufacturing technology, the precision of today's rifles, laser RFs, quality bullets and other components, etc., most serious shooters hold their scopes to a much higher standard than could be reasonably expected 50-70 years ago. The ability to hit a 4 MOA target and kill game is not good enough for many of us. These days, there's no excuse for a scope company to make scopes that don't adjust and hold zero properly.
I doubt most hunters around here would sweat a 1" shift.