Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Mach3

Has anyone ever asked someone with the CDS dials if they have time to range a deer, switch to your rifle, dial for the correct yardage, and make a good shot at a fast moving or running deer?

Your shooting analogy for a hunter using a turret scope, wouldn’t be any different that you holding a set/forget scope.

A turret scope is zeroed also, right ? at whatever ~ 100 yard, 200 yards, same as a static scope.

Running shots, would be taken and made exactly the same way one would make with a non-dialing scope based off the scopes zero....No dialing.

🦫

I've done it on a trotting coyote at an estimated 230 yards with our very own Kamo gari sitting in the truck beside me and a few other fire members present as we were leaving a pasture on an antelope hunt. estimated range (at that distance there's a pretty decent margin of error) put truck in park, bailed out, dialed as I set the rifle across the hood and bangflop. Probably happened in 3 seconds or so. .308 and 168 VLDs. not much difference in outcome if my scope was zeroed as Beav mentioned. I've also shot running antelope with a .223 that was zeroed at 200 yards and the range was about 180.

The scope was a Nikon though, not a Leupold at the time, I've since switched to a leupy mkIV on it. I suspect the results would have been the same though brand aside. I had masking tape with ranges marked on it with a felt tip pen, not a fancy CDS wink

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.