-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 35 of 41 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 40 41
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know what you mean , MM . I got faith in Swarovskis and Leupolds so I stay off the optics forum .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Funny how it's all right to believe in anything (Sasquatch, Nessie, UFOs, astrology, global warming, Elvis still alive, Santa Claus, Bush-Rove chicanery and "conspiracies" responsible for every calamity that occurs, the tooth fairy) � except God � without threatening somebody else's beliefs.

Just before our adult Sunday School class was to begin one Sunday just before Christmas thirty-several years ago, somebody asked me whether our kids were excited about the forth-coming visit from Santa Claus. I answered that our kids hadn't been taught to believe in Santa Claus.

Then the class began, and for the next half hour, one lady glared daggers of obvious anger at me. On the way into the sanctuary for the worship service, she hissed at me as she passed �

"The Bible says that Jesus is coming again. I teach my kids that Santa Claus is Jesus coming again."

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like Rickbin has [ mis ] taken a page out of God's notebook and created a tower of Babel with this merge deal !

Way I see the score is : Human Nature 4 ; Rickbin 0 .

Gotta give him credit for trying !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rick isn't the problem.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gene doesn't like plan B much I reckon. Goes against his predictions.

Gene, let's try keeping the peace for a change, eh buddy?

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never said he was , Ken . Never believed he was which is why I never said he was . Here is how I see the scorecard :

1. Creating CATC and calling it " Top O the Heap ". Open invitation to squabbling AMONG THE BRETHREN complete with chapter and verse wars . You saw it . I learned the term " biblialator from you !

2 Human nature won that round and CATC was moved to the bottom .

3 Nothing changed -human nature being what it is - so he knocked the forum in the head .

4 Now all "religious " threads are going to be moved into the " I believe" thread and posts fall in line chronologically . Ain't gonna work .

" Fish" was as far from a troublemaker as one could get and he was the first casualty . Ricky D and Shootist are good folks - as good as any on here in my opinion - and they are quiet .

I'm bettin' Fish traded up and Rick trades down! Too bad , 'cause I think Rick is a good guy - just over-matched .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rick , I made the last post before I saw yours . I used to absent myself from CATC when someone I respected complained about my style . Nothing changed as a result of my abscence , but you got a deal .

It is your fire and I never forget that .

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted By: okie
� If a fella is uncomfortable discussing or even seeing religious topics there's a reason for it...

My term for those Biblical things that make some folks uncomfortable is "diagnostic irritants." If "repent!" makes you uncomfortable, chances are that you need to repent.

Thank you Ken you summed that up for me very well...
In my humble opinion individuals who practice "let your light so shine" in a quiet, humble, consistent and gentle manner are closest to the truth. These folks live more by example and as a general rule are looked up to by those who come in contact with them - they stand out in a crowd...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
1B Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ken,

Do we need a dedicated site here where certain religous views can never be challenged? With the inherent power to dismiss and expel all who disagree as "anti-chrsitian" to boot? Sounds very much like a Campfire version of a Pope or Supremer Prophet to me.

1B

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Originally Posted by Blaine
� Evangelical Christians despise "religion," considering it nothing more than a human effort full of ritual and fluff that means little. �

If I may be so bold, let me elucidate a little for anybody who might be interested in knowing:

� The word religion is a combination of the prefix re-, meaning "back" or "again," and the Latin word ligare, meaning simply "tie" (it's the root of the words ligation, ligature, and ligament).

� The concept religion, as some evangelicals understand it, refers to Man's attempts to retie the bond between God and Man that Adam severed by disobeying Him.

The distinction is that religion is one thing, God's retying program is another � different.

The original texts of Galatians 1:6 and 1:7 make an interesting and useful distinction between two disparate meanings of the word another. Galatians 1:6 refers to "another gospel" of a different kind that Galatians 1:7 says "is not another" of the same kind. "Religions" are meant to be ways to God � Jesus's true Christianity is another way to God � designed and established by God, not a religion designed and established by Man.

Ken,

Well said sir!!!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by RickyD
What's the difference between a Christian and a Messianic Jew?
A few thousand years. grin

I like it, RickyD! grin

A Messianic Jew is someone of Jewish ethnicity who accepts Jesus as the promised Messiah. A Christian holds the same beliefs, but is not Jewish.

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
You missed the point entirely RickyD, which is not surprising. The 'discussion' of religion usually entails abandoning any and all precepts of kindness, tolerance, and understanding. Almost always, discussing religion envolves challanges, belicose verbage, and 'in your face' accusations.
This entire theme has proven this to be true.

That's horse puckey, and you know it.

If you'll notice, there are several people who jump into religious discussions at the Campfire for the sole purpose of causing dissention and goading people into arguments. Then they can step back, smile and point, and say, "I told you so."

I can recognize those people pretty quickly and have no use for them. They are first-class jerks. They serve no positive purpose. Instead of skipping over a thread in which they have no interest, they are not satisfied until they destroy it and get people at each other's throats, and can then claim gleefully, "See how those Christians are?" My response is "Horse puckey."

It is obvious to anyone reading through this thread who the troublemaker is... You're smarter than to fall for this kind of stuff, Mannlicher...

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Ken Howell
I don't believe for a nanosecond that if we had a separate, dedicated "I Believe" forum that the fervently anti-Christian among us would stay out of it. They certainly didn't stay out of "Christ at the Campfire," and they aren't staying out of our threads here.

BINGO, Ken!!! You hit the nail on the head.

Penny

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Dr. Howell,

I really enjoy and appreciate your posts. Each is a golden nugget of wisdom. I only have to read your posts to realize how little I know. Thank you.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not very studied, but I know the differnce between good and bad. Nice people are good. Mean people are bad.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Dr. Howell,

I really enjoy and appreciate your posts. Each is a golden nugget of wisdom. I only have to read your posts to realize how little I know. Thank you.

The rest of us realized that from your posts..............grin..............double grin

Just baggin ya FIB grin

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Hi Penny!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Hi Penny!

Hi, Magnum! smile Good to see you again.

Penny

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I just had an idea. Private messages can have several recipients. Anyone know how many?

I'm thinking that the next time I have a spiritual experience to share, I will put a bunch of you as recipients and send it as a PM. We can get our own thread going, but it will be private, and unreachable by those who want only to destroy and demean.

Christianity driven underground. Sigh. It certainly isn't the first time, and I suppose it won't be the last...

Penny

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1B
Ken,
Do we need a dedicated site here where certain religous views can never be challenged? With the inherent power to dismiss and expel all who disagree as "anti-chrsitian" to boot? �

No, we need only to be able to discuss our Christian convictions and questions here as freely as we can discuss our experiences, questions, and views about guns, shooting, hunting, politics, or any other secular matter � and not be condemned or denied voice by anyone who wishes that we'd talk about something else or go somewhere else. We need to be free from ouster, censorship, heated vocal bias and ostracism, and condemnation by people who want the power to dismiss and expel Christians or limit our expression.

This forum is just dandy for us just the way that it is, as long as those who resent us respect our rights of expression as much as they expect us to respect theirs.

Someone here earlier likened the situation to a party where the people were clumped in groups. Anyone who overheard one group (he wrote) talking about a subject of little, no, or negative interest to him would go on by that group and not disturb or disrupt them. He would not suggest to the host that they be banished to another room especially dedicated to them.

I've likened the situation to a restaurant where one can order whatever menu offering he prefers � where he does not insist that the menu options that he doesn't like should be stricken from the menu or that other diners shouldn't order them.

What's so damn hard to understand or tolerate about that? It wasn't I or us who recommended dismissal and expulsion. If you don't like what we're talking about, find something else here that you do like.

Simple.

"Good enough" isn't.

Page 35 of 41 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 40 41

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

280 members (219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 29aholic, 1_deuce, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 41 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,205
Posts18,503,819
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.